So how exactly do dots work

I'm asking about when you have a DoT on a target and your stats change while the dot is still up, say power torrent proc'd, a crit trinket, and a haste trinket. From looking at the tooltip the time between ticks on the tooltip changes but is that just a tooltip error or does it actually change. Does int make it stronger mid duration. And why does this forum make my browser crash when I try to enter!!! lol

The dots retain the stats you had the moment they were cast. The dots already cast don't change unless refreshed. This includes when SW:P is automatically refreshed with mind flay, the spell will update to your current buffs/procs the moment it refreshes. VT and DP you have to recast if you want to benefit from a proc/buff, whether that is worth it depends on how strong the proc/buff is and how long remains on the old dot and if you would have time to refresh it normally when you should (i.e. refreshing a dot on an add that is going to be out of range).

Your spells get the int/haste/mastery value that you had when you FINISHED casting the spell. So you want to make sure to cast VT/MB on time and not when you have less time than to actually cast it.
    Another thing to do is maybe recast a finishing dot ahead of time so you can cast it twice with your buffs up. This is where experience will help you ofcourse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimedic View Post
    The dots retain the stats you had the moment they were cast. The dots already cast don't change unless refreshed. This includes when SW:P is automatically refreshed with mind flay, the spell will update to your current buffs/procs the moment it refreshes. VT and DP you have to recast if you want to benefit from a proc/buff, whether that is worth it depends on how strong the proc/buff is and how long remains on the old dot and if you would have time to refresh it normally when you should (i.e. refreshing a dot on an add that is going to be out of range).
    this is correct