Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New to Disc healing, think i need some help :D

Hi Alll

Im just after setting myself up as Disc and ran a Zandi which left me with a few questions ....
    First off what do i need to change about my character (MacSlack), im sure there's alot of things i can improve
    I know i have to change my Smite and Accuracy Gylphs but what too (was going to go AA so i can do dailys but when SoS instead)

I've macro'd GH FL and PoH to use IF on CD ....is there any down side to this ? is there any reason why it should not be used on CD ?

For Tank healing i've read PW:S Penance GH GH is the basic keep the tank alive rotation (anything else i should do ?) but when it comes to
    AoE healing whats the best option for disc to get everyone back up quick
    The reason i ask this is because im just after running a Zandi and while i had no problem getting the tank back up quick from low HP it felt very clunky and slow getting the rest of the party up, i PW:S Pen PoM PoH GH on the tank (up to 75%) Pen lowest dps binding next dps PoH last Dps, other than the dps that got Pen none of us where above 50% after that, but had to go back to tank PW:S GH PoM then back trying to get the party back up (which were right back down again)
    Is there something i was doing wrong, am i just not geared right, is this just a common problem for Disc or am i just pathetically bad at healing

Also is PI off the GCD reason im asking is i want to macro it with GH but want it in such a way that it PI me and GH my target
    i tryed
    /cast [target=player] Power infusion
    /cast [target=target] greater heal
    but this did not work, just PI me

Cheers in advance for any help you can give

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macamus View Post
    /cast [target=player] Power infusion
    /cast [target=target] greater heal
    Making things hard I see.

/cast [@player] Power Infusion
    /cast Greater Heal
    Don't macro PI to GH, that's just silly.

One observation is Master over Haste is better disc heals also be sure to use Prayer of Mending. PI is very good for use as a mana regen combined with Hymn of Hope. Use flash heal only if absolutely have to as a "oh Shit" to give time for greater to catch up.

Deleted
    Don't macro PI to GH, that's just silly.
    It was a seperate macro to my IF GH macro, i use healbot and have my GH bound to right click and wanted Ctrl left click to be like
    an OS button that cast PI on me and a quick GH on my target, i would also have PI keybound for if i wanted to use it without doing a GH

I have read Mastery is better and also read Haste is better, the reason i went with haste is due to how slow Disc healing ws feeling compared to holy
    can a few more confirm which is better ? if it helps i'm useing this guy for my guilds 10man alts runs

Cheers for the replys so far and ty for the PI tip (need more of this info )

Hey,

The mastery haste debate is playstyle. You will have people saying each way is better, you have to work out which one you are comfortable with.

I have specced into atonement & have gone mastery, low haste.

When the tank goes to pull, bubble him, PoM, hit your Inner Focus, you can then decide if he just needs a Penance First, or go straight to a Greater Heal.
    Make sure you use your Inner Focus on every CD, penance & PoM.

If the group are taking a lot of damage, use a penance on the lowest health person, if that is on CD, you can bubble one of them (or the tank if needed) to get the Borrowed Time spell haste & PoH them.
    Keep the tank up with the bubbles (for the rapture CD), PoM, GH, penance, depending on how much damage his is taking. If only 1 party memeber is taking damage, penance or GH them, whole party, PoH whilst keeping the tank up.

Edit, and don't forget to use your CD's. If the tank is taking too much damage, use pain suppression on them.
    If there alot of aoe damage use your Power Word Barrier.
    Last edited by Botanica; 2011-09-13 at 11:23 PM.

remember that poh provides da. if you expect massive damage on whole party, you can always pre-stack some da on your group (make sure it doesnt fall).
    also, during heave damage, dont be afraid to shield your party, just make sure you have inner will up when you do that. hard to talk about shield-spam in 5man group.

while haste vs mastery is still open to the discussion, i would recommend some balance instead of going only for haste.

you do have very low spirit. main mana regen stat for a discipline priest is intellect, so it may lead to the conclusion that spirit is useless - wrong. spirit still regens you some mana and while you are free to cut it down while gearing up, at your atm ilvl and itemization (no set bonus), i wouldnt underestimate the value of spirit.

and as mentioned above, no point in macroing pi with greater heal. moreover, you might want to use pi with poh (not with gh) during heavy damage on party.

Deleted
    Thanks for the info ...but now have more questions

So as it stands im sitting on 2.2k/5sec while in combat how much more regen do you think i need ? i have not ran FL on this alt yet so im not sure how my mana will hold up, for Zandis i can do a timed run without holding the group back for MB's if thats any indication

How excatly does Int interact with regen spells i can see how HoH and SF will benifit but does it help rapture and what else does it do to make it our main regen stat
    also tomorrow i should get enough VP to get my gloves i assume that works out at a constent 2% base mana regen (at least one heal per15sec)
    how noticable is the 2 set bonus would it be normal to drop your spirit right down once you have this or is it just a small increase ?

if you dont have mana problems while providing decent output, then your spirit is fine.
    i assumed you suffer some from your first post, which indicated that you struggle healing troll instances.

intellect helps rapture - rpture returns 7% of *total* mana, and your mana pool depends on the amount of intellect you have.
    the more int, the more mana return from rapture. and rapture is your main mana re-gain tool.

2-set bonus does help with mana, but its up to you and your playstyle, of how much spirit you should keep.

Deleted
    Cool thanks for that
    the struggle i am haveing is not a mana issue its more of a throughput issue as i find the spells available to us are too slow
    to get the party back up and move back to the tank this was happening with fights that had alot of AoE damage and even the trash pulls
    when blazing heat was not dispelled/stolen quick enough basicly the party droped down around 10% each i'd get the tank up asap and then try to heal the rest
    but before i get all to 50% i have to get back to the tank
    reading all the posts here and a bit more thinking it may just be a playstyle issue, with holy and shamen (which im use to playing) i can react quickly to whats happening
    but with Disc im starting to think i have to look at the fights alot more proactively and pre DA/pre shield the party like you surgested

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    but with Disc im starting to think i have to look at the fights alot more proactively and pre DA/pre shield the party like you surgested
    I think that is ur main issue. since you are used to healing on a Shaman you are used to Proactive healing, same as a holy Priest. But with Disc you have to anticipate the incoming damage and prepare in advance for it, Shields

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah keep a shield on the talk and make sure PoM is always rolling.

I would also recommend to balance your secondary stats a little more, since we get decent value out of crit, haste and mastery (stacking one stat doesn't seem to work that well with disc, unless you are going for a very specific roll in a raid). I really like haste and prefer it over mastery but 12% + darkness seems a little aggressive, maybe drop it a couple percentages and raise crit a little. Note - yes crit creates more over-healing and it's not reliable but we get DA & inspiration for crits.

PoH is definitely the best bet for AOE healing, just shield the tank or the lowest health person first and spam it a couple times.

For Major glyphs, if you aren't going AA, then go Mass Dispel and Dispel Magic, although you could toss in Pain Suppression if you wanted.

Just my 2cents, so take it with a grain of salt, remember to just try things but do it slowly so you know what went horribly wrong =)
    Last edited by dryankem; 2011-09-14 at 03:20 PM.

Deleted
    Guess ill be going back to the reforger tonight then , so going to lose some haste and bump up Crit first then try going with mastery and some crit see how they both play out.

Here's a link to my Priest for reference Verth , I go for Haste with Master-crit secondary, I try to keep my Spirit in check as I don't really need a lot of spirit these days (just cleared 6/7 on Tuesday and never ran oom once) in fact I'm getting to that point where I can actually start to dwindle down my spirit to probably below 2K and still feel comfortable. Keeping Rapture on CD and using IF and PI really help out my mana, I only use PI in times of huge AoE burst dmg or right after BL is done, sometimes both.
    Last edited by Verth Aeyta; 2011-09-14 at 04:06 PM.

Deleted
    Cheers Verth ill be alt tabbing onto your priest while i set up later
    I have all my big mana casts macroed with IF so i know it'll be used almost on CD all the time (GH being our main heal as far as i can see)
    and i have set up power auras to give me a 12 sec timer after rapture so im confident im getting the most out of that just have to work on
    hitting my PI during OS situation instead of OS flash AoE GH Pen Sh$$ forgot PI
    One more question i have ...I've seen older posts (read old cont. posts) where they are saying if we spam bubble a group that all get hit by
    an AoE we get the mana back from all the shields, does this still work or has it been fixed ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mymain View Post
    One observation is Master over Haste is better disc heals also be sure to use Prayer of Mending. PI is very good for use as a mana regen combined with Hymn of Hope. Use flash heal only if absolutely have to as a "oh Shit" to give time for greater to catch up.
    Actually, for Heroics, haste sims out much better than mastery.
    On topic, Disc healing is pretty straightforward as AoE, just use glyphed PoM on CD and PoH till the little health bars are full.

Cheers Verth ill be alt tabbing onto your priest while i set up later
    I have all my big mana casts macroed with IF so i know it'll be used almost on CD all the time (GH being our main heal as far as i can see)
    and i have set up power auras to give me a 12 sec timer after rapture so im confident im getting the most out of that just have to work on
    hitting my PI during OS situation instead of OS flash AoE GH Pen Sh$$ forgot PI
    One more question i have ...I've seen older posts (read old cont. posts) where they are saying if we spam bubble a group that all get hit by
    an AoE we get the mana back from all the shields, does this still work or has it been fixed ?
    The bubble spam is ineffective, use the bubble only to proc rapture or to "save" someone from dying which usually consist of bubble, Penance, Flash heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Verth, I really like your setup as well but I have one question, why are using glyph of smite? Are you using HF and smite or are you just using HF.

From my understanding atonement healing was lacking in FL due to the hit boxes getting a little too large for the healing (resulting in some HF/Smites not healing at all). I can still see adding in HF for AA but do you still find smite useful and therefore glyph of smite or wouldn't glyph of dispel or mass dispel be more useful?
    Last edited by dryankem; 2011-09-14 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    Verth, I really like your setup as well but I have one question, why are using glyph of smite? Are you using HF and smite or are you just using HF.

From my understanding atonement healing was lacking in FL due to the hit boxes getting a little too large for the healing (resulting in some HF/Smites not healing at all). I can still see adding in HF for AA but do you still find smite useful and therefore glyph of smite or wouldn't glyph of dispel or mass dispel be more useful?
    I have only found that to be true on Ragnaros that the hit box is too big. In any case Glyph of Smite is optional, there really isn't a BiS option for the major glyphs except for Glyph of DA if you're AA/A spec. Typically what I do is if I'm trying to build up stacks quickly I'll pop PI and HF - Smite x 4 and pop AA if I know big dmg is coming and I was being stupid and not building stacks prior (which happens) so I mean it has it's uses and can still heal the tanks for a good amount while dealing decent dmg (I burst to about 8K - 10K on a normal fight if I'm using HF and Smite continuously) Which helps sometimes

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks very much for the disscussion, very helpful as I am starting a disc priest and shared many of these questions.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Deleted
    most stuff has already been answered but i noticed 1 more thing

get rid of the maloriak spirit trinket and buy a tsunami card you wont regret it