Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

World of Warcraft Magazine No More-

Just got an e-mail about the magazine being canceled.

Dear Subscriber,

The World of Warcraft Official Magazine is ending its run, and the current issue, #5, will be the last one.

This has been a difficult decision to come to. Although both Blizzard Entertainment and Future US are very proud of the magazines that we have created together, we have each decided to focus our efforts on other areas.

We really appreciate your support for the magazine and would like to offer you a premium based on your remaining subscription term, or, if you prefer, a full refund of your remaining balance instead. To redeem your premium or request a refund, please visit www.worldofwarcraftthemagazine.com by September 30, 2011.

On the website, you'll need to input the following code to access your options:

(Please be aware this code is non-transferable and can only be used once.)

Again, we would like to thank you for your continued support and hope you enjoy reading issue 5 as much as we enjoyed making it.

With thanks,
    Future US and Blizzard Entertainment
    They're offering either 6 pets or a refund.

Last edited by Ocnarian; 2011-09-16 at 08:15 PM.
    GM of Predestined - http://www.predestinedguild.com

"Internet killed the Magazine Star"

10+ Year Old Account
    aye just got the same email... gotta say im annoyed as hell that seemingly it's fine for them to TAKE my money over the internet, but when I wanna get some BACK I need to send a letter to frakkin CALAFORNIA...

also REALLY annoyed because I was supposed to be in the next issue
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Inb4 "WoW is coming to an end" wave of comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    I expect to see a large influx in in-game pets about to be sold for gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    aye just got the same email... gotta say im annoyed as hell that seemingly it's fine for them to TAKE my money over the internet, but when I wanna get some BACK I need to send a letter to frakkin CALAFORNIA...

also REALLY annoyed because I was supposed to be in the next issue
    Just curious, did you get the same offer as I did? I'm curious if different people got different offers based on how much money they were owed.
    GM of Predestined - http://www.predestinedguild.com

Nah, that's really more just the death of magazines then WoW.

That sucks. I actually liked the magazines.

Deleted
    To be honest i'm not surprised, the magazine was incredibly over-priced. Perhaps a lesson learnt Blizzard

It was a dumb idea to begin with. They should have made it a general Blizzard magazine so they would always have content to put in. It needed to be monthly, not quarterly. Half the size. Half the annual subscription price. Even though they claimed no ads, they still managed to get in 2 or 3 "feature articles" about FigurePrints, TypeFrag and other sponsored articles.

This magazine should have been considered advertising by Blizzard and given away to subscribers with the 6-month plan (much like City of Heroes sent out a comic book every month to subscribers). In the end, I'm sure it was killed because it didn't generate enough cash for Blizzard, it's all that matters in the end.

Deleted
    Weird how they are cancelling the magazine even though people have already paid for it? id understand if the copies are going unsold and they was losing money but that isnt the case...strange.

Deleted
    Also can't see many going for pets considering only pet collectors will get them and chances are already got 'em

I really enjoyed the lore that came out of these.

What's going to happen to the whole Sargeras story now?

So people will only $26.25 as a refund.

This email was in my spam box, I'm not sure if this is a hoax or not.

I was debating with myself on whether or not I wanted to subscribe, they apparently had an awful lot of lore rolled up in those magazines and I didn't wanna miss more than I already had... Guess I won't have to worry about that now...

I loved the magazine, sad it got cancelled. Getting my money back seeing I don't play WoW anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Weird how they are cancelling the magazine even though people have already paid for it? id understand if the copies are going unsold and they was losing money but that isnt the case...strange.
    Actually that probably is the case, too few bought it resulting in wasted money spent on printing hundreds of magazines that never saw daylight

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Actually that probably is the case, too few bought it resulting in wasted money spent on printing hundreds of magazines that never saw daylight
    That's not possible, this magazine wasn't sold in stores, and they knew exactly how many people had a subscription - so they only needed to print exactly the # of issues that needed to be mailed out.

Quote Originally Posted by palladiamors View Post
    Nah, that's really more just the death of magazines then WoW.
    Magazines in general ARE dying, but it this specific case I think it was more due to the fact that it has always supposed to have been a quarterly publication, but they were never able to come anywhere close to that. It was more like 1 every six to eight months. The magazine was announced at Blizzcon 2009 and they have only been able to produce 5 issues since that time. As a result, while the production values were excellent, by the time they got the issue to press, the information contained within the magazine was severely outdated. It's kinda hard to get excited about a magazine full of articles related to, for example, the newest expansion (Cataclysm at the time) when we had already been playing it for a couple months.

That's the main reason I chose not to renew my subscription after I had received the 4th issue. Now I kinda wish I had so I could say I had all 5. Who knows, a complete set might be worth something in 20 or so years.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.