Page 1 of 59
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Burglar killed, homeowner may be charged.

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee...arges/e00262cd

I love my country.

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee...rsity/1c510aaf

As a cheerful side story, aren't you glad you paid for this<snip> education?
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-09-18 at 01:28 PM.

How can they charge him? If someone breaks into your property and you have a gun (well in this case whatever he used to stab the burlar), you're allowed to kill in self-defense. Well atleast thats what I've been taught.

Deleted
    All depends how how it went down. I remember that one case where a shop owner successfully fended of a robbery through use of lethal force. The problem is that he then decided to finish off one of the injured robbers execution style. That's not acceptable in my opinion, as it has nothing to do with self-defence anymore at that point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nak View Post
    How can they charge him? If someone breaks into your property and you have a gun, you're allowed to kill in self-defense. Well atleast thats what I've been taught.
    that isnt the law everywhere, in most places you can only use " reasonable force" - which pretty much means beating the shit out of them is cool, but not killing them

which i kind of agree with, a lot of the people robbing homes are drug addicts or people in hard times that have made bad decisions in order to remedy their situation, prison time or correctional courses could benefit the person more, and hopefully return them to a function member of society.
    It is not just to kill someone robbing you, no court in the world would sentence someone to death for robbery.
    Last edited by mmoc653be429b6; 2011-09-16 at 10:32 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    How can they charge him? If someone breaks into your property and you have a gun, you're allowed to kill in self-defense. Well atleast thats what I've been taught.
    In America yes, not in Canada. To be quite honest, it actually pisses me off that there is no right to self defense in our country. It's like the burglar who tried to sue a home owner a few years ago because he broke into the house by falling through the sky light and landed on a knife that cut his leg open. If someone broke into my house and I defended myself, whether the person died or not, should not be a consequence to me.

There aren't any details so we can't really tell anything. Was the robber armed? Was the homeowner in danger of being hurt?

England is the same. Someone broke into a man's house. The man defended his home by hitting the buglar with a cricket bat or some sports stick. The man then got thrown into court for it. I think they let him go but why is defending yourself such a heinous act in the eyes of the law? Do they not see the flaw in burglars being allowed to break into homes w/o being assaulted?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    All depends how how it went down. I remember that one case where a shop owner successfully fended of a robbery through use of lethal force. The problem is that he then decided to finish off one of the injured robbers execution style. That's not acceptable in my opinion, as it has nothing to do with self-defence anymore at that point.

I'd rather him be finished right there then let him leech money in jail for the next 15 years

Burglar got what was coming to him.

As far as I'm concerned if you break into someones house you run the risk of being seriously injured/killed.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

How can they charge him? If someone breaks into your property and you have a gun (well in this case whatever he used to stab the burlar), you're allowed to kill in self-defense. Well atleast thats what I've been taught.
    you still get sentenced for murder rather its not self defense or it is you still go to prison but just not as long.

Move to Texas

Not only were the Homeowners not charged.. they were considered Heroes..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,417122,00.html

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like that in the UK...

There are some garden plots near where I live, some guys plot kept getting broken into, so he put up barbed wire to stop people from getting in.

The police told him he had to take it down, becasue if anyone tried to break in and injured themselves on it, then they would be able to prosocute him -.-
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Once you cross that threshold to enter an individuals domain you accept all recourses that come to you even death if that be the case. The homeowner doesnt know your intentions whatever they maybe so when anyone is in your house you have to reason they're there to do harm to you or your family. There is no..."Oops, you caught me off to jail I go" when you decide to break into someones home...theres only harsh reality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krimzinfate View Post
    Move to Texas

Not only were the Homeowners not charged.. they were considered Heroes..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,417122,00.html
    see that is different, the robbers where armed, you can assume they are intent on using the weapons otherwise they wouldnt have them, its pretty wise to shoot to gun men, but in the OPs case the circumstances arent even clear, and the police have reason to suspect things arent as they seem

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    In America yes, not in Canada. To be quite honest, it actually pisses me off that there is no right to self defense in our country. It's like the burglar who tried to sue a home owner a few years ago because he broke into the house by falling through the sky light and landed on a knife that cut his leg open. If someone broke into my house and I defended myself, whether the person died or not, should not be a consequence to me.
    I've heard of similar cases in the US. Have no links because its all hearsay. Doubtful if its even true. Googling it might prove me wrong tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    or the mystical third option, which involves handcuffs and lubricant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I seriously think some people picture the higher ups at Blizzard as a group of guys in suits sitting around an office wearing giant hats made out of $100 bills and smoking giant cigars rolled out of $100 bills saying to each other "How can we piss off out players this week? Muhahahahaha!"

everything past the point of incapacitating the burglar is violence and should be judged accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by methanar View Post
    Bummer.

It is my understanding that in Canada, if you do not use what is judged to be the absolute minimum amount of force required to protect yourself, you can be convicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Retarded. This was some scenario described in the movie Liar Liar. Never actually happened. Don't try to pass things off a being true when it's from a fictional movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RincrowTheOmnipotent View Post
    I've heard of similar cases in the US. Have no links because its all hearsay. Doubtful if its even true. Googling it might prove me wrong tough.
    Varies by state.

Deleted
    Humanity. Protecting criminal's precious lives on a daily basis.