Couple of priest questions, both healing and DPS wise...

I'm just starting to play my priest at 85, so please be gentle with me. My main is a resto shaman, which I'm very comfortable with, so coming to a priest, which is a completely different way to heal, it's taking some getting use to...

Healy questions...

My biggest question is, what's the most efficient way to handle dispels? I've been spoiled on my shaman, where one spell will remove both magic and curses. Priests can do both magic and diseases, but it's on different abilities. I use VuhDo, which will put an icon in the bottom left corner if there is something to dispel, but it doesn't show quickly whether it's magic or diseases. Any suggestions on how to efficiently handle dispels?

Blessed Resilience - Seems to me to be sort of a PvP talent? And I'm not just basing that off the name. Just reminds me of shaman's Nature's Guardian talent (regarded as a PvP talent), one of those "when X hits you for Y amount, Z happens", kind of thing.

DPS questions...

Mind Spike. Was great while leveling, but useless for bosses unless it's some kind of fast dying add, correct? The damage or buffs to Mind Blast don't seem worth loosing DoT's over.

That seems like all for now, thanks for any advice
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

You need to be able to differentiate between the types for dispels, yes, I can't help directly with that since I use healbot, which displays the type of disable debuff by colouring the name plate according to the type of debuff (red and blue respectively for magic and disease).

Blessed Resilience can be useful in PvE, since any damage over 10% of your health triggers it. Depending on the encounter, if there's a lot of heavy damage being thrown on the raid or random individuals, then the healing boost it provides is useful. It's most certainly an optional talent though.

...and Yes, Mind Spike is generally only worth using on adds where DoT's won't have time to run, but you still need to single-target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cure Disease and Cure Magic: You should be able to modify Vuhdo to show a different icon for diseases and magic effects. My Grid showed the icon for Diseases on the left side of the bar and Magic on the right side.

Blessed Resilience: Extra healing done on you is useful no matter what content, and in raids the buff triggers all the time, increasing your survivability. And there's not really anything else to pick up.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Simonzi View Post
    My biggest question is, what's the most efficient way to handle dispels? I've been spoiled on my shaman, where one spell will remove both magic and curses. Priests can do both magic and diseases, but it's on different abilities. I use VuhDo, which will put an icon in the bottom left corner if there is something to dispel, but it doesn't show quickly whether it's magic or diseases. Any suggestions on how to efficiently handle dispels?
    i use decursive (in addition to vuhdo), it puts different colors to magic and diseases, also shows timer on the dot, i quite like it. due to different types of dots and different priority on them, i like to have them separately from my frames (vuhdo), guess its just a matter of what who is being used to and playstyle.

Blessed Resilience - Seems to me to be sort of a PvP talent? And I'm not just basing that off the name. Just reminds me of shaman's Nature's Guardian talent (regarded as a PvP talent), one of those "when X hits you for Y amount, Z happens", kind of thing.
    in my opinion it is more a pvp than pve talent. since in the raiding environment raid is usually healed by heavy aoe, doesnt really matter that much (at least for me - poh user, no smart aoe) that one person from the party gets bit more healing and is healed faster than the rest - i would still spam poh to heal up 4 remaining players.

Mind Spike. Was great while leveling, but useless for bosses unless it's some kind of fast dying add, correct? The damage or buffs to Mind Blast don't seem worth loosing DoT's over.
    while i very rarely play shadow, i think i remember blizzard saying that this was supplement to mind sear (which wasnt as fun as it is now iirc), way to handle fast dying adds which either die too fast or arent many enough to make mind sear (as it was at that time) efficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've dispelled for so many years that I instantly know what type of debuff it is. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Thanks for all the info so far, it's been really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasselina View Post
    I've dispelled for so many years that I instantly know what type of debuff it is. True story.
    See, I've dispelled for years too, but I've been spoiled with a "1 button for all" thing.

So another few questions. PoM? Use on cooldown? Or pretty much just on the tank at the start? Are there any spells that just aren't used? I think I decided on holy over disc, and I'm having trouble getting a keybind setup I feel comfortable with, mainly due to the number of spells. I'm coming from a shaman, which has like 5 heal spells, to this priest, which has like... 20... I use on of the n52te speedpads, are there just some abilities I shouldn't be using that much and won't matter if they're not keybound?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

10+ Year Old Account
    So another few questions. PoM? Use on cooldown? Or pretty much just on the tank at the start? Are there any spells that just aren't used? I think I decided on holy over disc, and I'm having trouble getting a keybind setup I feel comfortable with, mainly due to the number of spells. I'm coming from a shaman, which has like 5 heal spells, to this priest, which has like... 20... I use on of the n52te speedpads, are there just some abilities I shouldn't be using that much and won't matter if they're not keybound?
    Prayer of Mending: Pretty much cast it on cooldown. It's better if it does a couple of jumps, but mana should not matter enough to make this matter.

And I did have pretty much every spell on my bars somewhere. Apart from Mind Sooth. But you can probably leave most of your shadow spells off while healing and Holy Nova.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Glyphed PoM on cooldown, as holy I use heal, gheal, fheal, renew, shield(mostly for B&S), binding heal, chakra, PoH, CoH, lightwell, dispell, lifegrip, guardian spirit, shadowfiend, desperate prayer, sanct.

Think I got em all, these are used more or less each fight, except dispell/sact that is.

edit: hymn x 2 also ofcourse.

i would just use grid. instead of vuhdo. for the most part just use dispell magic, if its magic, or cure disease if it a disease. also find out what youre dispelling, if its not that detrimental, then just leave it be, no use wasting mana..................and for dps, Mind spike is more for pvp, and downing low health adds, otherwise, disregard it from your rotataion

Blessed Resillience is indeed for PvP, but is also a pretty good talent to invest in for 10 mans. I love having it b/c it because it makes the efficiency on Binding Heal much nicer. The added encouragement for BH gives you more frequent Serendipity to use for either Gheal or PoH. It isn't as good in a 25 man, imo, but for a 10 man it's a good option.

For Vuhdo specifically, you can set debuff types to color code the health bar. i.e, Blue for magic and Brown for Diseases
    From there, just have two different binds for cleansing it, one for Abolish Disease and the other for Dispel. I use alt+RC and ctrl+RC

For keybinds in general, holy does indeed need a lot of easy to reach binds. Keep fiddling it until you're happy with it. I prefer mouse binding all my heals, but others use keybinds, honestly do what you prefer. Both work.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is currently the spec I'm running, without blessed resilience. I'm healing heroic rhyo, beth and rag with it in 10man.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is currently the spec I'm running, without blessed resilience. I'm healing heroic rhyo, beth and rag with it in 10man.
    Veiled Shadows is meaningless. Haste is good no matter your preference, so Darkness should be maxed out.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Veiled Shadows is meaningless. Haste is good no matter your preference, so Darkness should be maxed out.
    But I like my shadowf(r)iend
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.

But I like my shadowf(r)iend
    The talent is only useful in very specific length fights for healing Priests though. If the fight is long enough to be able to summon two Shadowfiends with the talent, but short enough that it wouldn't be off cooldown a second time without it, then it is useful, but apart from that it's rather unnecessary. (And this is true for longer fights where it could be off cooldown three times with the talent, but not if you didn't have it, ect. while the haste is a benefit to every spell cast in every fight)
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    For pure throughput yes you're right, but if said player is comfortable with their haste then really 2/2 veiled shadows isn't a bad thing for mana return especially on longer fights that might drain a priests mana in say... 3 minutes?

Hell I even dropped points out of mental agility for my holy spec to obtain 3/3 Darkness and 2/2 Veiled shadows Verth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    The talent is only useful in very specific length fights for healing Priests though. If the fight is long enough to be able to summon two Shadowfiends with the talent, but short enough that it wouldn't be off cooldown a second time without it, then it is useful, but apart from that it's rather unnecessary. (And this is true for longer fights where it could be off cooldown three times with the talent, but not if you didn't have it, ect. while the haste is a benefit to every spell cast in every fight)
    Maybe 30 more sec on the cd wouldn't make me suffer all too much... I'm kinda ok on mana as it is atm. I'm having this spec for rag hc atm.

Maybe 30 more sec on the cd wouldn't make me suffer all too much... I'm kinda ok on mana as it is atm. I'm having this spec for rag hc atm.
    When I first dropped it, I thought it would be a big drop in mana too, but I just learned to use my first Shadowfiend a little sooner in the fight so it was off cooldown more quickly and I didn't really notice much of a difference.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.