Any chance I could get some help building a new computer?

Hey guys, I'm going to be replacing my macbook fairly soon and moving into the wider world of PC gaming, so I was just wondering if you guys could help provide some builds for a computer (with a budget of a round $800 for parts alone, I can probably manage the peripherals on my own, unless anyone decides to help me out with them too =p). I'm completely and utterly new to building PCs (I'm 19), but I want a decent comp, so if anyone could help me out, that'd be awesome

Upgrade or New Computer:
    New (and first PC)

Upgrade on what (you hope):
    Current computer is a Macbook =p

Willing to Self Build or a Pre-Built:
    Willing to self build, no idea how to but I'm sure I can find guides out there.

How much you want to spend:
    Preferably around $800 on parts and maybe around $400 on peripherals, can probably go a little higher.

How much you can spend:
    Same as above.

What all you plan to use it for:
    Gaming, MMOs more than FPS'.

What Operating system you want to use & Bit:
    Windows 7 64bit.

What Resolution you hope to be in:
    Don't care too much.

What Settings do you Want & how much FPS:
    As high as I can go for my price range. Hopefully high - max settings on WoW with 40 fps minimum (in raids). Not sure how reasonable this is though, I'm a noob to this

What Country are you from:
    Australia.

What can you re-use:
    Nothing :/

Network will be wired or wireless:
    Either.

Any Additional Info Here:
    First time builder/buyer so not sure how to go about making a decent PC really, so try to keep it simple for me if you decide to help Thanks a lot in advance to anyone who does.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imo here are a few things you should look for or close to... if you can wait for specials.

Antec Three Hundred Tower Gaming Case (or any equally priced/same sized case) $50
    Intel Core i5 2500K ($220)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (Model:F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL) $51.49
    Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST31000524AS) 64.99
    ASUS P8P67 LE Rev3.0 Intel P67 B3 Stepping ATX LGA1155 4xDDR3 USB3.0 PCI-E SATA6gb/s 1394a eSATA ATX $150
    Asus DRW-24B1ST 24x DVD Writer SATA Black ($25)
    Cooler Master Hyper 101i Direct Contact 2 Heatpipe CPU Heatsink or something more intense depending on plans, $20-30
    2-3x 120mm fans $20
    PSU - look for it on sale they always have something on special more often then not. ($65)

Get any semi respectful gpu (graphic card) that can fit into your budget, that should handle what you want with not too much trouble @ all.
    Radeon HD 6950 ~ $239.99
    Radeon HD 6850 ~ $159.99

It may not be perfect but it'll send you in the right direction, glhf!
    Edit: Shoot forgot OS, thats definately over budget then or definately hurting your gpu options.
    Last edited by Bonesjr; 2011-09-26 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks a ton! I'll definitely look into these parts, and don't worry too much about the OS, I should probably edit this in there, but my mum works at a university and should be able to get me windows 7 for cheap, so all good =p

Deleted
    (I'm going to assume a total budget of $1200.)

Custom build by Marest

moboMsi P67 without SLi/CF support – $89.99
    cpuIntel i5 2500K – $219.99
    ramG. Skill 1600 MHz Sniper 2X4GB – $53.99
    gpuTwin Frozr GTX 560 Ti – $244.99
    hdd1Samsung Spinpoint 1TB – $59.99
    osWindow 7 Home Premium 64-Bit – $99.99
    psuCorsair 80+ 500w – $59.99
    sinkCooler Master Hyper 212+ – $27.99
    caseAntec 300 Mid Tower – $58.45
    screen - Asus VH238H 23" 1080p LED - $179.99

Final Price – $1095.36

NOTE1: Prices for each product are estimates and might not be correct.
    NOTE2: Some parts (like for example the case) can be swapped out based on personal preference.

Use the remaining $110 to pick up a decent mouse and keyboard.

Thanks so much Marest, I'll have to start ordering parts Also, just wondering, how hard is building the computer from scratch? I have a friend who's made his own comp who will help me out, but I just want to know how careful I need to be when assembling/installing everything really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual View Post
    Thanks so much Marest, I'll have to start ordering parts Also, just wondering, how hard is building the computer from scratch? I have a friend who's made his own comp who will help me out, but I just want to know how careful I need to be when assembling/installing everything really.
    It's pretty straight forward. Just read the manuals and plan ahead a bit. It's like lego for grown-ups.

May I suggest that you check out Newegg's builders guide? It's in 3 parts with part 1 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Quote Originally Posted by Actual View Post

Basically, just look around for guides. Newegg has a really good one (video even) that will help you step by step. Its pretty straight forward, I usually connect my mobo/gpu/cpu/heatsink/ram/psu outside of the case to make sure everything works before I get it in the case. Obviously it wont boot (no HDD with a OS on it) but you'll be able to see that it turns on.

The really sensitive items are the Processor, and the mobo. The CPU has little notches that line up with the socket on your mobo so there is only one way to put it in. Obviously be gentle with it, if any of the prongs bend or get messed up you're screwed. Try and touch a metal object (case usually works fine) every so often to discharge static. I usually build my computer somewhere I'm not on carpet, but if I have to be I either go barefoot or wear shoes. Mobo will line up with mounting screws in your case. Rule of thumb for screws on a computer, screw them down equally. Don't screw down one all the way, do all of them half way, then proceed doing opposite corners to spread out the pressure. GPU can only go in one way. Check your mobo manual for which color your ram needs to go into (more about this in the newegg videos) but they can only go in one way.

Basically, don't set them on metal. Don't rub balloons on your head and shock your mobo. Just be gentle, and you should be fine.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh forgot to mention if you're planning on going to a local store ask if they'll give you bundle deals if you purchase all your stuff from them... only if you are avoiding purchasing your parts online... those stores have become a rarity around my parts since everyone has switched to the larger/cheaper distributers.