10+ Year Old Account

Do you think death in MC MP is punished too harshly?

In single player the death mechanic is okay as it is right now. It brings a challenge and makes you cautious when exploring.

What I am talking about is multiplayer. I've been on several servers where I got ganked or mugged for my stuff. I could be spelunking in a cave and an other player would find me and he attacks me for the ore I collected. On these servers you learn be light. like put all your valuables in a protected chest, and only have tools, armor, and a compass, but haven have mercy on you if you're mining or coming back from mining expedition with your inventory filled with valuable ore.
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you enable PvP, you better make sure you have a hidden mineshaft, far from others. If that one guy in full diamond gear knows everyone's mineshafts, they can come griefing, and monopolyze your server, because it sounds like that's what happens with your server... I recommend building the entrance to your mineshaft away from your own house, and under water. Although it sounds like you would get your house destroyed by others on your server... PvP MP servers are weird, no clue which rules are enforced on your server.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

I run a server off my home computer that is mostly for friends/friends-of-friends/online-friends/friends-of-online-friends/etc., so there are a lot of people who I just don't know and (occasionally) cause problems. I don't whitelist because I want people who are on the server to be able to use their own judgement and bring others in.

We've had problems similar to what you're describing. The easiest way around this is to play on a server with PvP off, though there are other possibilities for ganking to still happen (suffocation with gravel or sand, lava, etc.). Have you tried talking the server's mods/admin about these issues?
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

If there's no way to change your spawn point, then yeah the drawbacks of death suck. If you can change you spawn point to a new location then it's not that bad.

edit: though i always find it helpful to carry a bucket of water to help escape griefers.
    Last edited by yaij9841; 2011-09-27 at 07:13 PM.
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    If you enable PvP, you better make sure you have a hidden mineshaft, far from others. If that one guy in full diamond gear knows everyone's mineshafts, they can come griefing, and monopolyze your server, because it sounds like that's what happens with your server... I recommend building the entrance to your mineshaft away from your own house, and under water. Although it sounds like you would get your house destroyed by others on your server... PvP MP servers are weird, no clue which rules are enforced on your server.
    During my time playing on a PvP server, this guy is right. Follow these steps, and chances are you should avoid griefers / PvP.

1. If you don't want your stuff destroyed, build far far from the spawnpoint on the outer regions. Press F3 to get the co-ordinates of your house and write them down somewhere.

2. Dig a tunnel to a very low lying mine shaft, above bedrock is usually best, but be careful about monsters and cave systems down there.

3. The entrance to this shaft should be right beneath a tree or subtle land marker. Record the co-ords of the entrance, and place a dirt block above the top of the hole so it looks normal. I'll usually use two to three dirt blocks, with a door or trap-door underneath. This prevents water from getting in.

3a. You can also build this entrance under-water with the same method, and place a trap-door right below one block of dirt. You'll only want one dirt block because it will be too time consuming to dig through 2-3 underwater.

4. Dig a fairly straight tunnel all the way down to bedrock, you can take detours through cave systems or make it change directions on the way down, but just be careful about how far out you go.

5. At bedrock, dig a chest hiding location in your base/home. It should be covered by dirt or gravel, and the chest should be located behind the dirt, with one block space above it so you can open it. Remove the dirt when you want to access it, and record the co-ords of the location right in-front of the dirt.

5a. You can take it a step further and repeat this multiple times and scatter your stuff in multiple locations.

That's the basics of it. And here's a pic of what I feel is the ideal opening to a hidden base:

Keep in mind that you can feel free to move this setup just about anywhere: In a cave system, under-water, on the side of a cliff, etc. Just make sure that the entrance is covered with dirt or blends in with the environment. 2x1 holes are a big no-no.
    I sold out 4 years ago, when I sold to Major League Gaming. And I think you're a troll.
    - Boub

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twintop View Post
    I run a server off my home computer that is mostly for friends/friends-of-friends/online-friends/friends-of-online-friends/etc., so there are a lot of people who I just don't know and (occasionally) cause problems. I don't whitelist because I want people who are on the server to be able to use their own judgement and bring others in.

We've had problems similar to what you're describing. The easiest way around this is to play on a server with PvP off, though there are other possibilities for ganking to still happen (suffocation with gravel or sand, lava, etc.). Have you tried talking the server's mods/admin about these issues?
    they usually don't care
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

On a server where PVP is allowed both by actual server settings and something that's written in rules, it's fair game. It's a matter of personal opinion more than anything though. I find it annoying but that's just me: because I like to build stuff rather than PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    they usually don't care
    I care. With my old locally hosted server I insta-booted anyone who griefed.

To be on topic, I really haven't had much experience with this since I've played with nice peopple most of the time, but I've had to deal with 'em before... I really reccomend Lawlocoptor's idea of a hidden base. It stopped some griefers of mine a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    I care. With my old locally hosted server I insta-booted anyone who griefed.

To be on topic, I really haven't had much experience with this since I've played with nice peopple most of the time, but I've had to deal with 'em before... I really reccomend Lawlocoptor's idea of a hidden base. It stopped some griefers of mine a while back.
    Reminds me of this:

One particular idiot we had on cursecraft a while back :-P decided to tnt a huge area surrounding our spawn location on our 1.7.3 creative map.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    Reminds me of this:
    ~linky~

One particular idiot we had on cursecraft a while back :-P decided to tnt a huge area surrounding our spawn location on our 1.7.3 creative map.
    Haha, fantastic!