Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Will respec from advance class be allowed?

Okay the title says it all, I was wondering if for example once you decide your advance class of a certain class lets say sorcerer of sith inquisitor class will you be able to reset your talents there and change to assassin advanced class. This is what i asked myself the first time they introduced the advanced class system, because i love sith inquisitor class entirely with both of their advanced classes, therefore it sounds pretty mediocre to me that people create same class multiple times just in order to play different spec.

Deleted
    I think I read somewhere that you wont be able to change your advanced spec at launch but they could have changed it since then. I would actually rather have the option of changing it too.

The way I see it is if you want to respecc sure repsecc within your advanced class. I see the advanced classes and more like different classes, to give my opinion in wow terms : it would be like a arms warrior respeccing to a ret pala, but hey thats my opinion.

Ps, you cant change your advanced class at launch as far as i know

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Okay the title says it all, I was wondering if for example once you decide your advance class of a certain class lets say sorcerer of sith inquisitor class will you be able to reset your talents there and change to assassin advanced class. This is what i asked myself the first time they introduced the advanced class system, because i love sith inquisitor class entirely with both of their advanced classes, therefore it sounds pretty mediocre to me that people create same class multiple times just in order to play different spec.
    The thing is, the advanced classes are just that, classes, not specs like in WoW. They play entirely differently.

That being said, the devs have stated that AC switching will be available for a few levels after gaining your AC, but impossible or nearly impossible as you approach level cap.

I hope they make it impossible to do at level 50, however I have the feeling that it won't be. This isn't a game breaker for me, but i'd really prefer people to stick with the choices they have made.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do remember a dev saying that you can switch AC up to level 20, but after that you had chosen your class, so they are giving you a smal window to test the AC's.

at the beginning you will be allowed to do it several times, to make sure you feel comfortable with your advanced class
    after that we dont really know, and I guess neither do the developers, my guess is its going to be extremely expensive.
    but honestly, I dont see any harm if it would be cheap, or you could even dual spec between advanced classes, I think it would solve a lot of tank and healer problems other mmos have. and frankly I thought this was actually the reason to do this whole advanced classes thing in the first place. so player could fulfill more roles in the game. if you cant use it to do that, why even bother with advancec classes and not make 10 normal classes in the first place?

and most importantly, if its really next to impossible to switch advanced classes, i beliebe the ACs with two possible roles are preferable to those who have only damage dealer talents. which is a very bad thing.
    Last edited by moff; 2011-09-27 at 06:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I've heard, they MIGHT allow you to do it at low levels, but after that, no.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

No, you cannot change your advance class ever at all. You can respect your points and go DPS or heals, but you can't go from sorcerer to assassin. When you get your class quest to decide at level 10 its tells you that once you pick it there is no going back. Not sure if this is breaking the NDA as you can just search Google and find the answer.
    Last edited by xuros; 2011-09-27 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    No, you cannot change your advance class ever at all. You can respect your points and go DPS or heals, but you can't go from sorcerer to assassin. When you get your class quest to decide at level 10 its tells you that once you pick it there is no going back. Not sure if this is breaking the NDA as you can just search Google and find the answer.
    That is likely how it works right now, but the devs have come right out and said that, due to feedback, they are giving a grace period of a few levels, with it becoming prohibitively more difficult and expensive as you level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    The thing is though, AC's are basically like classes are in WoW. You don't switch from Mage->Rogue in WoW, and you wont be able to switch from Assassin->Sorcerer in TOR. I think keeping it expensive and later impossible is a good way to handle things.
    as I said, why not make 10 classes then? whats the advantage of the advanced classes system for the player? that I have to play the same 200h story again just to play an assassin if my main is a sorceror?
    there are many advantages if advanced classes can be changed, everyone could at least play 2 roles in the game and not some 1 and some 2.
    and I know single role classes are popular, I was a mage myself, but this is not about popularity, its about using possible adanvatges at pretty much no cost at all, they made the advanced class system for a reason? what reason was that? why not use it?

10+ Year Old Account
    *shakes magic 8-ball*

"All signs point to no."
    Once we gathered friends together, drank a ton of Mountain Dew and beer, and role played with paper, pencils, and books.
    Now I log onto MMOs with the same people and we only talk about how hard we PWNed that: Noob, boss, etc.
    I hate modern gaming....

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    as I said, why not make 10 classes then? whats the advantage of the advanced classes system for the player? that I have to play the same 200h story again just to play an assassin if my main is a sorceror?
    there are many advantages if advanced classes can be changed, everyone could at least play 2 roles in the game and not some 1 and some 2.
    and I know single role classes are popular, I was a mage myself, but this is not about popularity, its about using possible adanvatges at pretty much no cost at all, they made the advanced class system for a reason? what reason was that? why not use it?
    SW:TOR is not the first game to do this. Plenty of games do similar things, like EQII and a few others.

Also, all but I think 2 of the advanced classes have a tank or healer role. Marauder/Sentinel were the only ones if I remember right.

For the story thing, it's no different from leveling another class in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    Those 200h stories you're talking about... it takes a lot of resources to make them. I'd rather have 8 really good stories, than 16 okay stories, Bioware seemed to think that was the better plan also.
    Last edited by Delia; 2011-09-27 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delia View Post
    Stories, it takes a lot of resources to make them. I'd rather have 8 really good stories, than 16 okay stories, Bioware seemed to think that was the better plan also.
    Yes but the reasoning behind not being able to repec your AC at like max level is because those ACs have different stories and play differently than the other AC you didnt choose in your class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj9010 View Post
    Yes but the reasoning behind not being able to repec your AC at like max level is because those ACs have different stories and play differently than the other AC you didnt choose in your class.
    After about level 15 (5 levels into your AC), your AC "becomes" your class. The play style is very very different. For instance: A sco will play totally different from a GS, but they're both smugs and have that core ability set. AC abilities are super powerful and make up your character in the end.
    Once we gathered friends together, drank a ton of Mountain Dew and beer, and role played with paper, pencils, and books.
    Now I log onto MMOs with the same people and we only talk about how hard we PWNed that: Noob, boss, etc.
    I hate modern gaming....

Quote Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
    After about level 15 (5 levels into your AC), your AC "becomes" your class. The play style is very very different. For instance: A sco will play totally different from a GS, but they're both smugs and have that core ability set. AC abilities are super powerful and make up your character in the end.
    From what iv seen on the official swtor site is that both ACs in a single class play completely differently from each other and have a few core abilitys and most of your '"main" abilities stem from your AC and tree you spec in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj9010 View Post
    From what iv seen on the official swtor site is that both ACs in a single class play completely differently from each other and have a few core abilitys and most of your '"main" abilities stem from your AC and tree you spec in.
    Yep. You'll see more as more info comes public, and they let us say more.....
    I hate modern gaming....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The thing is, the advanced classes are just that, classes, not specs like in WoW. They play entirely differently.
    This. Two different classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    This. Two different classes.
    Healing paladin plays differently than prot. Disc plays differently than shadow. Does that make them seperate classes?

ACs are just a variant of specs, they're not actually two different classes.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.