Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    and I often wonder if thats not one reason why BW is allowing AC's to be swapped for a small window of time. There are those that just seem to have a hard tiem grasping what BW has done with classes and Adv classes.
    Yeah probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    and I often wonder if thats not one reason why BW is allowing AC's to be swapped for a small window of time. There are those that just seem to have a hard tiem grasping what BW has done with classes and Adv classes.
    They're allowing AC swaps because they don't want people to have to completely reroll their character if they get to level 20 and decide they don't like the playstyle of their current AC. It has nothing to do with the people who think ACs are like talent trees. It's like a grace period.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    No, you cannot change your advance class ever at all. You can respect your points and go DPS or heals, but you can't go from sorcerer to assassin. When you get your class quest to decide at level 10 its tells you that once you pick it there is no going back. Not sure if this is breaking the NDA as you can just search Google and find the answer.
    I'm almost positive Bioware stated you'd get at least one chance to change your AC, about 10 levels after choosing it in the first place.

People think of ACs too much as Specs and not enough as what they are--classes. Bioware will allow limited switching of Advanced Classes because they recognize the inconvenience of rerolling, but choosing your Advanced Class is supposed to be as important a decision as choosing your Class. Choose carefully.

Deleted
    I think you can change AC but at "very high price". Like few posts ago said.

I wouldnt have problem with this but however the thing that I'm worried about is end-game and balance overall.

Problem is that for example you want to go into operation(raid) and you are missing tank that day.. but you have marauder..so lets say marauder has been running flashpoints and gotten tank gear over the time that suits Juggernaut (since I'm sure you can loot items even if you cant equip them, like in every game)..
    So marauder could tank today but sadly he chose marauder and is unable to "respec" tank because marauder cant spec into tanking nor switch AC.
    I mean, harshly put, why would anyone pick marauder rather than Juggernaut because Juggernaut can be dps AND tank and be more useful overall that way?
    Theres few reasons tho, those being
    1) You want to play "how you like" (more solo-type less "going to raid with this")
    2) Marauder does noticable more "dps" than juggernaught dps does. 3) You hate tanking and are sure you have tank that can get in every time. 4) Hes "sick on pvp."

I'm picking Marauder as example here because Marauder is "pure dps". SI can be healer/dps or tank/dps being useful on wider variety on both ACs. It's very intresting to see how marauder works out, will anyone pick it on other reasons than 4 I said before?

And for like hardcore pvp, why wouldnt you just respec into marauder from Juggernaut if Marauder facerolls in pvp? Seems little major to just level up every AC to get healer/tank and good pvp spec when needed.

I dont mind high price however. I'm sure guilds would be ready to invest on such things (to get tank for raiding) I know my guild will most likely).
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2011-09-27 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    I think you can change AC but at "very high price". Like few posts ago said.

I wouldnt have problem with this but however the thing that I'm worried about is end-game and balance overall.

Problem is that for example you want to go into operation(raid) and you are missing tank that day.. but you have marauder..so lets say marauder has been running flashpoints and gotten tank gear over the time that suits Juggernaut (since I'm sure you can loot items even if you cant equip them, like in every game)..
    So marauder could tank today but sadly he chose marauder and is unable to "respec" tank because marauder cant spec into tanking nor switch AC.
    I mean why would anyone pick marauder rather than Juggernaut who can be dps AND tank and be more useful overall that way?

And for like hardcore pvp, why wouldnt you just respec into marauder from Juggernaut if Marauder facerolls in pvp? Seems little major to just level up every AC to get healer/tank and good pvp spec when needed.

I dont mind high price however. I'm sure guilds would be ready to invest on such things (to get tank for raiding) I know my guild will most likely)).
    I have a moderate concern about this as well. Considering that two ACs are DPS only and don't have a hybred tree in them. (Separate classes...)

My hope is that they put some level of hybred into every class in the end, I just don't see that happening atm.
    Once we gathered friends together, drank a ton of Mountain Dew and beer, and role played with paper, pencils, and books.
    Now I log onto MMOs with the same people and we only talk about how hard we PWNed that: Noob, boss, etc.
    I hate modern gaming....

I'm waiting to see how the AC's roles actually play out before ever considering the Marauder wanting to tank. At this point I'd tell such a player "shoulda went with 1h dps"
    Signature not acceptable (e.g. too large), read http://www.mmo-champion.com/general-discussions-22/important-signatures/ - Regards, Olison

Respeccs are in the game, for the ROLE you choose, if you are for say a trooper Tank (Vanguard) then you can respecc in that tree. But atm there is no respeccing into other class e.g to Commando. Thats something they are looking into. But wont be there to launch they have said.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEden View Post
    Respeccs are in the game, for the ROLE you choose, if you are for say a trooper Tank (Vanguard) then you can respecc in that tree. But atm there is no respeccing into other class e.g to Commando. Thats something they are looking into. But wont be there to launch they have said.
    This is simply wrong, I have already provided links proving that you CAN in fact change your advanced class on the previous page. Stop assuming and do a little research instead of giving out false information.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo89 View Post
    It was confirmed at San Diego Comic Con that you CAN in fact change your advanced class. It will be cheap the first time and will quickly get expensive after that. So unless they have changed it in the past couple of months, you can expect to see this feature in release.

Source:
    SDCC 2011: BioWare Base Q&A + TOR Reveal
    You can actually watch the Q&A here:
    Day 1: 2011 Comic-Con - Star Wars The Old Republic Q&A Session

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get some of the comments here where people say that ACs are just like talent trees (ala WoW.) The devs have officially stated that there are 16 different classes in the game (in other words, 16 different ACs.) Not to mention each AC has 2 unique talent trees in which both have different roles (ie, Assassin has DPS and tanking, Sorc has ranged DPS and healing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    I don't get some of the comments here where people say that ACs are just like talent trees (ala WoW.) The devs have officially stated that there are 16 different classes in the game (in other words, 16 different ACs.) Not to mention each AC has 2 unique talent trees in which both have different roles (ie, Assassin has DPS and tanking, Sorc has ranged DPS and healing.)
    I'd like to add to that a little, even though there is a shared spec, it will probably play very diffently due to different weapons and probably baseline skills between the 2 ACs.

And to the thing about why would anyone pick a dps only AC over a hybrid, the same could be asked of any rogue, mage, warlock, or hunter in wow, people will play what they want, and have fun doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zensunim View Post
    If it's not allowed at launch, it's a very safe bet that it will be allowed down the road.

Right now, the WoW dungeon finder has long queue times with DPS. In SWTOR, this could potentially be worse because the dungeon/flashpoint makeup is 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 dps *and* there's no LFD matchmaking tool, so instead of queuing up and alt-tabbing or watching TV for 30-45 minutes, you have to spend that time barking and watching LFG (with no addons to assist). DPS characters might find themselves increasingly frustrated with not being able to find a group and mechanics such as multi-spec (AC or otherwise) assist with increasing the pool of available tanks and healers without introducing cross-server groups.

Of course, while a companion may be able to fulfill the role of a tank or healer when one is not available, I have a feeling that tanking and healing companions will only be viable in normal flashpoints and fail in heroics given a group that doesn't overgear the place.
    Companions are not allowed in warzones or flashpoints, so someone will actually have to do it. Hopefully they have made tanking and healing more attractive roles to fill so that these sorts of issues are never a problem.

Remove LFD and I think we will see a much better player base entirely. Bad players will either have to learn how to play or never get into groups. Seeing as every class can either heal or tank there will hopefully be more players filling those roles. I for one can't wait to try ranged tanking. I always liked tanking but hated being stuck staring at a bosses crotch all night.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    And to the thing about why would anyone pick a dps only AC over a hybrid, the same could be asked of any rogue, mage, warlock, or hunter in wow, people will play what they want, and have fun doing so.
    The thing I have is that theres only 2 pure dps Advanced Classes (correct me if I'm wrong since assassins can tank(?)).
    Marauder/Sentinel and Gunslinger/Sniper. Thats big difference compared to WoW imo.
    I'm not against fun or anything. Heck, I would totally go Sniper myself as second character.

But its' so much better to be Juggernaut than Marauder from my view currently. As Juggernaut or Operative you can be dps AND tank/healer.
    Unless marauders and gunslingers bring major difference to their other AC choice by more damage or unique buffs/debuffs then go right ahead, pick them for operations/pvp.
    If marauder will do same dps than Juggernaut then why pick marauder if you are about to be bit more serious about end-game and like to have the opportunity to change talents to tank/healer or from tank/healer to dps.

Looking how the development of marauder goes with interest.
    Not trying to be elitist at all in style of "min max roar". Play the game as you want! But I see being pure as kinda disadvantage currently as theres "only 2".
    But I would go with 2-role class than 1-role class. Marauder and specially gunslinger does look awesome and if theres that time-period where you can test both AC's then I will def try it.
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2011-09-28 at 01:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    I do not get this 16 classes thing. All I see is 4. Is there any place that I can see these multiple trees for each AC? I thought each "class" had 2 ACs. Still the same class, just advancing the class further to differentiate - hence advanced class. Also, the 4 on each side are just mirror images. Kind of like saying a gnome affliction lok is a different class than an orc destro lok.

Can a sith warrior not do everything that a jedi knight can? Only difference is telekenetics v lightning? Do they not have pretty much the same abilities? I have not played and have not really read anything to deep into the whole class scenario. I would love to be entirely wrong on this subject and there actually be major differences between the trooper/BH, smuggler/IA, etc.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I do not get this 16 classes thing. All I see is 4. Is there any place that I can see these multiple trees for each AC? I thought each "class" had 2 ACs. Still the same class, just advancing the class further to differentiate - hence advanced class. Also, the 4 on each side are just mirror images. Kind of like saying a gnome affliction lok is a different class than an orc destro lok.

Can a sith warrior not do everything that a jedi knight can? Only difference is telekenetics v lightning? Do they not have pretty much the same abilities? I have not played and have not really read anything to deep into the whole class scenario. I would love to be entirely wrong on this subject and there actually be major differences between the trooper/BH, smuggler/IA, etc.
    The two sides do have mirrors, but thus far they seem to play a bit differently, at least visually. Perhaps not viscerally.

However, no you can go onto swtor.com and it clearly shows that each AC has it's own talent trees. AC's are equivalent to a WoW class.

Deleted

You pick base class. Lets say Sith Inquisitor - which is same as Jedi Consular but with different named spells (balance etc is the same so you wont see op consular but up Inq at same time).

At level 10 you pick advanced class. Sith Inquisitor has "Assassin" and "Sorceror" as Advance classes - other is kinda like rogue/tank and other mage/healer. They are actual classes not just talent tree choices.

These advanced classes do have 2 unique talent trees and one shared with both AC choices. For example Sith Sorcerer can then talent into "Lightning"(dps), "Corruption"(healing) and 3rd tree being "Madness (shared)" which Inquisitor's other AC assassin has too thus being shared.

http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/advanced-classes info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The two sides do have mirrors, but thus far they seem to play a bit differently, at least visually. Perhaps not viscerally.

However, no you can go onto swtor.com and it clearly shows that each AC has it's own talent trees. AC's are equivalent to a WoW class.
    If they do play that differently it would also be a shame, because to have to pick sides based solely on class availability is lame. We saw how well having shammies and pallies exclusively worked. I can't imagine how it would be if every single class was exclusive.

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes - shows 8 classes. ACs are just specializations...or specs as we know them in wow. I want to be wrong, so someone please explain how there are 16 different classes. I see 4 classes with 2 or 3 viable specs each. Again, horde and ally warloks are still the same class. Different animations and races does not mean different class.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Gods I hope not...

within AC sure, and ppoossiibblllyyy once or twice when you're still at low level (like capped at 25) but not more than once, and NEVER at max level.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like a once every 6 months able to change AC at max level by doing a questline.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

If they do play that differently it would also be a shame, because to have to pick sides based solely on class availability is lame. We saw how well having shammies and pallies exclusively worked. I can't imagine how it would be if every single class was exclusive.

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes - shows 8 classes. ACs are just specializations...or specs as we know them in wow. I want to be wrong, so someone please explain how there are 16 different classes. I see 4 classes with 2 or 3 viable specs each. Again, horde and ally warloks are still the same class. Different animations and races does not mean different class.
    Wrong subheading, look at game systems > Advanced Classes.