Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Redstone and all things mechanical

Woot, Minecraft subforums! This thread is dedicated to the bit more technical side of Minecraft. A place to share your redstone powered creations or discuss ideas.

Will add some of my own stuff here in a bit, need to find my screenshots.

So, discuss!
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

This sort of thing always amazed me. I don't have the technical knowledge to really get into some of the things people do with Redstone, but this video really caught my attention:

The amazing part starts at 0:48.

*edit*

This one as well.

And of course, the Pig-Powered Slot Machine:

Last edited by halmotors; 2011-09-27 at 11:21 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I built an automated cart system that sends full carts to the surface and returns empty ones. I'll clean it up a touch and post it later on

10+ Year Old Account
    That piano and slot machine blew me the hell away. How did he...but then there's...and when he pushes the...I just can't see how someone could do that using Minecraft. And here I thought my little wooden house with a redstone activated iron door was impressive. Unreal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I managed to build an elevator with trapdoors and my own block swapper design! And http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXUYf...el_video_title.

I've got a castle and mountain mansion/house/villa on my locally hosted server where I made a switch-activated lava pitfall using sticky pistons as well as a 3x2 wooden gate for my castle and a stairway in my mountain abode whos floor and ceiling blocks will raise / lower respectively so there isn't enough room for mobs to enter if they get past the lava pitfall.

My friend Telcular made a bunch of really cool traps in an underground ruin complex that we (mostly him, I did a lot of the non-ruin stuff and replaced probably half the natural blocks in the ruins that Tel dug out with the proper blocks so the asthetics were good) made underneath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Redstone has always been my forte, I have self making walls, piston elevators, combination door locks, password protected cannons.

All through redstone. Oh, and a 42 cannon array system.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahpewpew View Post
    I refuse to give away my freedoms to be safe from decisions I make that affect myself.
    Good communities sometimes trump questionable staff.

I am aware sometimes I dont include apostrophes. My work keyboard is missing the button. Let it go.

Maybe I can use this oppertunity to ask is there an easy way to learn how to use redstone? I have been working on my own custom adventure map for a couple weeks now but I can never get my redstone to work that well. If it helps, what I want to build for one of the rooms is a small square room full of wooden pressure plates, there is lava walls on both sides and a door at the end. The player gets some wood to use and have to put it on the plates at the same time to get the door open but it is like rocket science to me, help? :>

Deleted
    I think CaptainSparklez did some tutorials on redstone on youtube not long ago.

I've always been astounded with how good people can make redstone contraptions, but the best I've managed to get is a simple piston trap that fills a hallway with sand. the hallway connects my mushroom farm (very dark) to the rest of my house, so I need to keep monsters from just wandering into my house. two pistons, a chest of sand, and an iron door. fairly simple.

and eventually got a semi-decent sounding doorbell of the first 5 notes of the MLP: FIM theme. was my first time with redstone repeaters.

still have no idea how to make those redstone torches turn on and off, I apply a switch to them and nothing happens.

but boy do I wish I knew how that worked, I seriously envy people who can do THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYCPbyFWzUs

or, connecting some of it to a rail track and mimicing the end of portal 2 to a letter, this blew my mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPj42zBh8VM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I've always been astounded with how good people can make redstone contraptions, but the best I've managed to get is a simple piston trap that fills a hallway with sand. the hallway connects my mushroom farm (very dark) to the rest of my house, so I need to keep monsters from just wandering into my house. two pistons, a chest of sand, and an iron door. fairly simple.

and eventually got a semi-decent sounding doorbell of the first 5 notes of the MLP: FIM theme. was my first time with redstone repeaters.

still have no idea how to make those redstone torches turn on and off, I apply a switch to them and nothing happens.
    {...}
    instead of piston-traps filling a room, i would recommend piston-traps, that let people fall (to death) (see this trap-test-map i did, when the pistons where introduced https://rapidshare.com/files/790364826/traptest.zip )

to control redstone-torches, you need to send a signal INTO the block, the torch is attached to

How i learned redstone:
    1. Learned logic gates from http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuit but always used my own designs so i knew how they worked
    2. Made really big slow stuff using my own designs
    3. Find this
    4. Make moar stuff

Sidenote: One of the top contributors to the link in 3. is the guy who made
    Just sayin
    Last edited by zakayron; 2011-09-28 at 12:35 AM.
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

As far as redstone goes, I love to make minecart tracks that utilize it somehow. Like moving track via pistons, or sensor track to activate a trap, or so.

a adventure rollercoaster, with arrows shooting right in front of you

but strange-lava-physics made it impossible to create a lava-wall that open a passage when you get close with a minecart =/
    Last edited by nobodx; 2011-09-28 at 12:17 PM.

I have made a tower which spawns and kills pigs, and ensures that they are cooked.
    I use pistons to control if the pigs are allowed to spawn, if they are allowed to fall, and also to force them down to their deaths.
    I also use a lever system to open the hatch where the cooked pork lands - when opening the hatches it ensures the hole they fall down is blocked.

To ensure they are cooked, I make the pugs fall through lava and then die to fall damage - as long as they are on fire when they die.

I'll grab pics later.

The cooked pork lands onto a table, made from fence posts and wooden slabs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to create something like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8sYI...eature=related

Just got to get it working for 3x2, might post some screenies when I finally get it to work.
    (any help on how to get that thing 1 bigger very appreciated!)
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zakayron View Post
    How i learned redstone:
    1. Learned logic gates from http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuit but always used my own designs so i knew how they worked
    Yes. Two of the most important ones to learn are the RS NOR Latch and the NOT gate. I've done some pretty cool stuff with 5 clocks too.

All I've learnt to do with redstone is simple doors that I can lock (. Trying to sort out some sort of elevator atm.
    PEWPEW

Just a tip for anyone playing with redstone

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...redstone-pipe/

a must have mod, insulated wires, intergrated circuits, panelling (for covering up wiring), wall and roof wiring, cables etcetc

works well, is balanced (for those of us who try not to cheat too much :P) and makes things soooooo0o much easier and tighter.
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelkyri View Post
    Just a tip for anyone playing with redstone

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...redstone-pipe/

a must have mod, insulated wires, intergrated circuits, panelling (for covering up wiring), wall and roof wiring, cables etcetc

works well, is balanced (for those of us who try not to cheat too much :P) and makes things soooooo0o much easier and tighter.
    That looks quite good :-o My concern with things like that is the longevity of the mod, what I mean is how long it would stay in development because I would hate to become reliant on it heh. But it looks like that guy has his shit down and has a decent following