Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You're making it way more complicated than it is. There's no internal cooldown so the chance is the same for DOT classes and other classes such as mages in arcane spec.
    This means if a Spriest can pull 25k without staff, he'll get let's say a 20% boost in DPS on a timeframe of 7 minutes(Which is big enough for the proc chance to show itself regardless of luck). Same happens to Arcane mage, 20% proc rate(Maybe a little less or more becuz of less casts than DOT classes).
    So yea it's equal for every caster. BUT! yes there's a but here. The reason they give it to mages or so, could be the fact that they have a burn phase, and many bosses require a burn phase, the boost of DPS on the burn phases is bigger than classes like Spriest which don't have any sort of burn phase like that, so it makes it more of a tactical benefit on arcane mages. That's the reason they give it out to mages first. Or demo warlocks etc.
    On the other hand, on a fight that involves LOTS of movement, DOT classes obviously benefit more becuz they'll simply have more procs from DOTS and it boosts it up more.
    It's as simple as that, no big calculation needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Also have to remember that glorious SPriest speciality of multidotting. Every tick of every DoT running around has a chance, so you could be proccing more than one at the same time. Oh and can you imagine the insanity of procs on flying Alysrazor SPriests?

Head on over to ShadowPriest.com too. There's a few posters there with the legendary. They might be able to help you out with actual facts and figures.
    I myself haven't really been multi-dotting yet due to the price of mana and the dots finish VERY fast, but im also hardly wearing any zandalari gear (heroic+zandalari).
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

The proc has no Internal Cooldown. It can copy a dot tick and your nuke spell right after. A possible scenario is: A) Arcane Mage casts a 1sec AB. Staff Procs. B) While a dot class casts a 1.5 cast nuke the staff procs off a dot tick and then from the nuke.

So basically there is equal chance to proc from all your damage with no cooldowns making it value equally for:
    e.g Mages (Higher Damage procs) = Spriests (Faster and relatively lower damage procs)

The staff does amazing boost for fire mage on Alysrazor. Not to mention it can copy 300k+ combustion / ignite ticks / Pyroblast dot ticks / direct damage itself...

if fire would be finally fixed to make it compare with arcane then the fire mage probably would get most benefit..

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    The staff's proc chance is exactly the same for every class.
    This is specifically not true. They posted a long time ago and said that the proc chance would vary depending on what class/spec was using it and would also be different for classes where a fair amount of their damage comes from pet damage. The part about there not being an ICD is correct though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    But say a dot class get proc 9 times more, and if its always a dot being copied it's still not close to a single extra arcane blast, no?
    Vampiric Touch crits for 20-35k, 9 of those is absurdly better than a an extra arcane blast, probably only 2 VT copies = 1 arcane blast copy, and that's just one of my dots that ticks every other second and doesnt include my single target dps. While against a single target the staff has a modestly better performance for arcane mages, in a multi-dot fight (hint: just about every fight in the last two expansions) the staff has a bigger performance increase for a top end shadowpriest, affliction lock, or boomkin than it does for an arc mage - because while an arc mages damage in those fights is still single target - the proc on Dragonwrath scales with the number of targets in the fight for dot classes.

Oh - I should also mention that the staff has the biggest upgrade effect on Elemental Shamans, but nobody likes them so I don't know any Dragonwrath's going to ele shamans. In my guild our staffs are going out in this order: Shadowpriest (me), Arcane Mage, Boomkin, Affliction Lock, Shadowpriest, Demonology Lock, Boomkin, Elemental Shaman, Disc Priest (she's started collecting Eternals because no one else seems appropriate). This list also coincides with two things - our best dps first - and me and the arc mage are officers and long-standing, high-attendance members - we rolled to decide who gets it first between the two of us.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2011-10-03 at 10:47 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    On a side note, can you turn in The Stuff Of Legends in shadowform, and if so is your projection that sits on Tarecgosa shadowform? I would assume Tarecgosa would NOT be shadow like one of your mounts.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Tea you sound very keen on arcane mage do you have one?

like most people have said give it to who ever is top dps right now, arcane mages can have tragic rng, if it only happens to procs during conserve phase you might as well have given it to the feral druid, of course it could work out it procs every single ab during burn, spriests should be more consistent because of more hits. I also heard reports that shammies scale great with this staff as well but not sure where i read that. our guild has i think first three people in line are mages, but that is more because they are members we know will stick around, so far not awfully impressed with how well arcane scales with it, but haven't got anything to compare to within guild so will see in about a year when it finally gets to the spriest.

... also have you seen how much MB hits for once have 4 set, now times that by 2 *drool*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kakle View Post
    Tea you sound very keen on arcane mage do you have one?

like most people have said give it to who ever is top dps right now, arcane mages can have tragic rng, if it only happens to procs during conserve phase you might as well have given it to the feral druid, of course it could work out it procs every single ab during burn, spriests should be more consistent because of more hits. I also heard reports that shammies scale great with this staff as well but not sure where i read that. our guild has i think first three people in line are mages, but that is more because they are members we know will stick around, so far not awfully impressed with how well arcane scales with it, but haven't got anything to compare to within guild so will see in about a year when it finally gets to the spriest.

... also have you seen how much MB hits for once have 4 set, now times that by 2 *drool*
    Nah, my mage is a former casual pvp frost one, nowadays retired as bank char =) Well, had it arcane in a couple of BHs and those arcane blast hit hard even though I was in pvp gear =)
    I was just curious because I dont get the math if you compare a dot tick (most likely to happen for priest) and an arcane blast (most likely to happen for mages). Overall it seems that priests need hell of a lot of procs to be comparable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Nah, my mage is a former casual pvp frost one, nowadays retired as bank char =) Well, had it arcane in a couple of BHs and those arcane blast hit hard even though I was in pvp gear =)
    I was just curious because I dont get the math if you compare a dot tick (most likely to happen for priest) and an arcane blast (most likely to happen for mages). Overall it seems that priests need hell of a lot of procs to be comparable.
    Here is the difference put a different way:

How often does an arc mage deal damage to an enemy? Let's say once every 2 seconds or however long an AB takes to cast. So take that proc chance and divide it by two (2 seconds) and you have a proc per second.

How often does a spriest deal damage to a target? Like 5-10 times a second depending on how many targets are in the fight and where the spriest is in their priorities.

Yes, our dots hit for less than Arcane Blast. Yes, we proc WAYYYYY more often. It's better for dot classes, the math behind this is a case closed. Most fights are multiple target fights, and arcane mages deal the same damage in multi-target fights than in single target ones - while dot classes deal more scaling to the number of opponents - for every additional opponent, for every additional dot put out, our proc chance keeps going up - and overall - while the damage benefit is about equal on single target fights, on multi-target fights its noticably better for dot classes than it is for arc mages.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    Here is the difference put a different way:

How often does an arc mage deal damage to an enemy? Let's say once every 2 seconds or however long an AB takes to cast. So take that proc chance and divide it by two (2 seconds) and you have a proc per second.

How often does a spriest deal damage to a target? Like 5-10 times a second depending on how many targets are in the fight and where the spriest is in their priorities.

Yes, our dots hit for less than Arcane Blast. Yes, we proc WAYYYYY more often. It's better for dot classes, the math behind this is a case closed. Most fights are multiple target fights, and arcane mages deal the same damage in multi-target fights than in single target ones - while dot classes deal more scaling to the number of opponents - for every additional opponent, for every additional dot put out, our proc chance keeps going up - and overall - while the damage benefit is about equal on single target fights, on multi-target fights its noticably better for dot classes than it is for arc mages.
    your last part made no sense what so ever more dots = more chance to proc so more damage??
    arcane mage hits harder but once a second = less damage?
    the staff is BIS for every caster so it doesnt matter who gets first

and if you read OP's question he is asking how does the legendary staff work for spriest not compare to other class >_>(going off topic here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoth View Post
    The proc duplicates a single dot tick, not the whole dot.
    pretty much what this guy said /thread
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    your last part made no sense what so ever more dots = more chance to proc so more damage??
    arcane mage hits harder but once a second = less damage?
    the staff is BIS for every caster so it doesnt matter who gets first
    It's because we actually have a higher proc rate than Arcane mages do... this was done deliberately and they announced that a long while ago.

Deleted
    Any link? We are not pet class, cant remember dev comments about us getting any extra proc chance over arcane?

I am sure it has been said, I just don't have time to read all the posts here. From what I've seen from using the staff is dots get the proc far more often the DD, with that being said i've seen it proc off a 30k vt with a 180k mind blast on top of it. So pretty much there is a icd for the DD proc and just a chance to proc off a dot

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Renue1 View Post
    I am sure it has been said, I just don't have time to read all the posts here. From what I've seen from using the staff is dots get the proc far more often the DD, with that being said i've seen it proc off a 30k vt with a 180k mind blast on top of it. So pretty much there is a icd for the DD proc and just a chance to proc off a dot
    Nothing you said implies there is ICD at all. As a shadow priest your dots tick LOT more often than direct damage spells, so dot procs of course happen more often.

Quote Originally Posted by sahtila View Post
    Nothing you said implies there is ICD at all. As a shadow priest your dots tick LOT more often than direct damage spells, so dot procs of course happen more often.
    Ive seen back to back procs on dots... As far as procs on DD take quite a bit longer i have not sat down and tried to fish for a time on the icd for DD.
    Last edited by Renue1; 2011-10-04 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuryGnome View Post
    The staff does amazing boost for fire mage on Alysrazor. Not to mention it can copy 300k+ combustion / ignite ticks / Pyroblast dot ticks / direct damage itself...

if fire would be finally fixed to make it compare with arcane then the fire mage probably would get most benefit..
    No, they will still get the same boost.
    Alys is a very special screwed mechanic.

---------- Post added 2011-10-04 at 05:15 PM ----------

Ive seen back to back procs on dots... As far as procs on DD take quite a bit longer i have not sat down and tried to fish for a time on the icd for DD.
    There is no ICD. It is a fact.
    You yourself said that you didn't fish for it on purpose.
    You just didn't notice it, that's all.

Deleted
    Yes, because as far we know there is no ICD, neither in DD or dots.

Quote Originally Posted by sahtila View Post
    Any link? We are not pet class, cant remember dev comments about us getting any extra proc chance over arcane?
    I'll see if I can dig it up, it really was a long time ago... Specifically they said DoT classes, Direct damage classes, and classes that rely on pet damage would all have different proc rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I'll see if I can dig it up, it really was a long time ago... Specifically they said DoT classes, Direct damage classes, and classes that rely on pet damage would all have different proc rates.
    I think it was something like a XX% chance to proc of a type of damage i've been digging around and cant seem to find it