10+ Year Old Account

The Mountain of the Dead-----Dyatlov Pass Incident

The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959. It happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (a Mansi name, meaning Mountain of the Dead). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov. The lack of eyewitnesses has inspired much speculation. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident. The chronology of the incident remains unclear due to the lack of survivors.

Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot in heavy snow. Though the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue. According to sources, four of the victims' clothing contained substantial levels of radiation. There is no mention of this in contemporary documentation; it only appears in later documents.

The bodies turned orange, some of the faces appeared to have aged substantially accompanied by graying of the hair. The victims had only internal trauma damage, with no outside damage. Whatever these hikers saw, it was scary enough for them to cut open their tent and run for their lives without snow gear. Pretty creepy. There had been sightings of strange orange orbs on the night of the deaths.

Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths. What do YOU think happened to these hikers?

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
    Last edited by golds; 2011-10-05 at 09:46 PM.

Well, at first glace that appears pretty creepy. But altitude and cold can play tricks on your mind.
    Once in church when priest went to get more candles I whispered to my friend "Priest ran out of reagents" and heard someone laugh very loud behind us. -Peeb

10+ Year Old Account
    Before anyone else...

http://images.memegenerator.net/inst...0x/9632316.jpg

Can't think of anything better atm
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-10-05 at 10:53 PM.

Have you ever noticed that on google maps, there is a strip of the Ural mountains, containing the Dyatlov Pass, that you can't zoom in for detailed satellite images? You can on either side of the area, but it restricts that portion. What are they trying to hide?

Deleted
    http://troll.me/images/ancient-alien...believe-me.jpg

Pretty strange though. But when it comes out of Soviet, especially during that time, you can't really trust anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    Before anyone else...
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-10-05 at 10:53 PM.

I read a pretty thorough "likely explanation" for what happened, can't find it though. It's an amazingly creepy story though, for something that actually happened, especially the radiation on the clothes and the government involvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've not got much knowledge in this area but...

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671...solutions.html

Seems plausible.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I blame the vodka.
    If you fishing for hours at the same place and you become confident that everything is fine and safe, its will mean one thing; You are wrong. Because i was actually sitting near of you for hours, cloaked in the shadow with a smile on my face and my daggers ready to strike. I did it many time before. I will do it again.....and again......

Deleted
    Pretty creepy story, think ill look into this one.

crazy russian coverup

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dazmar View Post
    Have you ever noticed that on google maps, there is a strip of the Ural mountains, containing the Dyatlov Pass, that you can't zoom in for detailed satellite images? You can on either side of the area, but it restricts that portion. What are they trying to hide?
    The Abominable Snowman

Deleted
    creepy story. also If you run low on oxygen you may start to hallucinate, I once watched something about A Guy climbing K3(?Ithink that was the name) without extra oxygen. He saw relatives up ahead in the snow, who could in no way ever be there. He felt as if his tent shrunk and came at him all the time. that reminds me somewhat of this crazy snowy mountain story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkelle View Post
    I've not got much knowledge in this area but...

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671...solutions.html

Seems plausible.
    Really funny article

But I just don't believe the investigators would've missed the traces of an avalanche.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Really funny article

But I just don't believe the investigators would've missed the traces of an avalanche.
    Like i say before....VOOOOODKA is the one to blame here :P
    If you fishing for hours at the same place and you become confident that everything is fine and safe, its will mean one thing; You are wrong. Because i was actually sitting near of you for hours, cloaked in the shadow with a smile on my face and my daggers ready to strike. I did it many time before. I will do it again.....and again......

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I read a pretty thorough "likely explanation" for what happened, can't find it though. It's an amazingly creepy story though, for something that actually happened, especially the radiation on the clothes and the government involvement.
    I found what you may be speaking of, it's a cracked article. http://www.cracked.com/article_16671...solutions.html

Everything said in the article is pretty cohesive with what likely happened.

---------- Post added 2011-10-05 at 10:27 PM ----------

Really funny article

People are retarded and want to believe something more happened, leading the investigators to say, PFFT NOT AN AVALANCHE IT WAS DEFINITELY SOMETHING SPOOKY GUISE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?

Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

One thing you need to do when using wikipedia as a reference is look at their references. Not to say that every wikipedia article is poorly researched, some in fact are. This was one of the references used in that article - http://www.aquiziam.com/dyatlov_pass_answers.html.

I read through it all. It's really quite interesting. Starts out creepy, but almost every creepy thing in it can be explained logically. That doesn't mean those are the explanations...but they could be, and probably are. Near the bottom of the page is a point by point of each of the 'creepy' or unexplained things related to the case. Here's just a few you mentioned in your extract...

- Dubanina’s tongue was not ripped out it was degraded through natural processes
    - The radiation found was inconsequential
    - Photographs show that any discolouration of the bodies was wholly normal
    - The injuries discovered are explainable and consistent with those that might be expected to occur in a group of desperate and clearly frightened people that had been stumbling around in dangerous conditions in the dark.
    - All the physical evidence found at the time and subsequent analysis and testing indicates that there was no avalanche.

One possible explanation suggested near the bottom is an Infrasound phenomenon. After reading up on them it's certainly possible this was what happened. Apparently when there's a sound present around a certain Hz people start to report feelings of "anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear, chills down the spine and feelings of pressure on the chest." If you felt something like that you'd definitely leave your tent and run away from the area as fast as you can. I know I would.

aliens....

*tinfoil hat*
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Really funny article

I'm from Russia and I can absolutely certainly tell you - they could. They could miss traces of a fucking nuclear war if that means having to write less reports and not having to stay in stupid mountain pass longer.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maîhden View Post
    creepy story. also If you run low on oxygen you may start to hallucinate, I once watched something about A Guy climbing K3(?Ithink that was the name) without extra oxygen. He saw relatives up ahead in the snow, who could in no way ever be there. He felt as if his tent shrunk and came at him all the time. that reminds me somewhat of this crazy snowy mountain story.
    The thing is, it was ALL 9 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    The thing is, it was ALL 9 of them.
    Imagine 9 friends on lsd? On a mountain.