Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Raid Finder Loot Rules Update

Important - Curse.com is getting a brand new design soon and we need your help to beta test it! Check out the new layout on CurseBeta.com and browse around! When you're done, we'd love if you could spend a few minutes completing the poll to let us know what you think of the new website. Thanks!

Raid Finder Loot Rules Update
    Short version: When using Raid Finder for the Dragon Soul raid instance, players whose currently assigned class role (Tank, Healer, or Damage) matches the class role that a piece of armor or a weapon is flagged for will receive +100 to their Need roll.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    In response to concerns regarding how loot will be distributed in the Raid Finder system, we are making some changes to how loot rolls will work when using the Need Before Greed system in the Raid Finder. When using Raid Finder for the Dragon Soul raid instance, players whose currently assigned class role (Tank, Healer, or Damage) matches the class role that a piece of armor or a weapon is flagged for will receive +100 to their Need roll. For purposes of this check, your currently assigned role is defined as the class role you have assigned when a boss is defeated. Sound confusing? I hope not, but here's how it'll work:

A boss dies and drops EPIC TANKING ITEM.

• A mage in the group yawns and clicks the "Greed" button, getting a 98.

• A Fury warrior in the group wants to take up tanking, so he rolls "Need" and gets a solid 64.

• Both tanks want the item. Tank 1 rolls a 12, and Tank 2 rolls a 7.

So what happens?

Because the mage rolled greed, she's right out from the start. The Fury warrior's Need roll was higher than the tanks', but he was in the Damage Dealer role when the boss died, and the item is flagged for tanking, so his 64 is still just a 64 out of a possible 100. In contrast, Tank 1 and Tank 2 each get a 100 point bonus to their rolls because they were in the Tanking role when the boss died and they’re rolling on an item that has been flagged for the tanking role. That means that Tank 1 rolled a 112 out of 200, and tank 2 rolled a 107 out of 200. Tank 1 wins the item! If a roll got a bonus, that bonus will be clearly displayed in the chat log.

Please keep in mind that, at least for now, this system will only look at class role, and not player spec. This bonus isn't only for tanking items either – it applies to Tanking, Damage Dealing, and Healing items, and some items are flagged for more than one class role too. Starting out, only Dragon Soul raid items will be flagged for class roles in this way (though all of the items in the raid will be flagged for one or more roles). As you might expect, all the normal Need Before Greed rules are still in place, so that means that these roll bonuses won't overrule normal class and usability restrictions. Item tooltips in the raid won't reflect which class roles will get rolling bonuses, but it should be fairly obvious based on stat allocations and item type.

We are considering expanding this system to apply to the new 4.3 dungeons as well, though it is unlikely that we'll see the system apply to older dungeons or raids for now. Also, please keep in mind that this system is newly minted, and it may see further changes before it's released with the Raid Finder in patch 4.3.
    Last edited by Boubouille; 2011-10-07 at 05:18 PM.

Deleted
    That's solid

There won't be a way to change roles all the time (it'll be just like 5man LFD role system) so this will be hard to exploit.

Now let's hope they have someone capable of flagging those items to certain roles/classes. One would think any half decent raider could do it but we all know Blizard .
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2011-10-07 at 05:43 PM.

Well this should stop a whole load of whining and crying about people losing items to others who aren't doing the job the item is intended for...

Deleted
    Hallelujah, about time

I approve of this

10+ Year Old Account
    Very nice.

I wonder why not make a MS need button and a OS need button and make them available to the respective specs instead of this.. wouldn't a +100 be a guaranteed win? MS can roll 1 and OS roll 100, and MS will still win with 101. so there's not much point in that

Now they just need to flag them correctly (looking at you, trinkets!)

Great idea. That ought to stop the ninjas!

Seems legit. I like it. As someone who plays all 10 classes, this'll stop ninjas (yes, they're ninja's) from hitting need and winning offspec items over main spec.

Deleted
    I think this is actually a good idea overall. Will be interesting to see how it pans out in the long run.

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So that's where the keyring resources went

Quote Originally Posted by Kalx View Post
    I wonder why not make a MS need button and a OS need button and make them available to the respective specs instead of this.. wouldn't a +100 be a guaranteed win? MS can roll 1 and OS roll 100, and MS will still win with 101. so there's not much point in that
    This was exactly what I thought. The way they explain this is way too complex than necessary.

So, this is their solution afterall. I'm for it.Now, give rogues tanking spec so I can roll on +Dodge trinkets

Deleted
    So what prevents having all fury, cats, retris and frostDKs to select tanking role just before the pull and have +100 on that last item they want from that specific boss?

10+ Year Old Account
    and why wasn't this crap in the game from the start? This is perfect.