Page 1 of 2
LastLast

RMAH possibly breaking friendship?

While reading somethings about RMAH, a question came up. This is a question for people who says they will never use AH/RMAH and just play with friends and exchange items.

Scenario:
    So you formed a group with your friend to kill a boss and the boss dropped a chest piece that no one can use and you won it (we don't know how loot works yet but we can leave that part out). The chest piece is worth 10 dollars on RMAH and your friend found out by checking some RMAH mod and he offered 50g for the chest piece with the intention to resell it on RMAH.

Assuming you have no intention to use AH/RMAH at all, what would
    you do in this situation?

This question doesn't apply to anyone who plans on checking prices on AH/RMAH of course. This is only for people who wants nothing to do with AH/RMAH and only trade/sell as he/she sees fit with friends.

Edited to make question more clear
    Last edited by wow2011; 2011-10-07 at 09:13 PM.

Well that's a sensationalist title for the thread. To answer that particular question, no, RMAH will have absolutely nothing to do with breaking up friendships. If your friendship breaks up over RMAH, you had bigger issues that were really to blame.

As to your actual question? Yes, I'd be fine with that. I sell an item to him, it becomes his item. He does what he wants with it. I'm not going to get upset if he decides he wants to re-sell the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Well that's a sensationalist title for the thread. To answer that particular question, no, RMAH will have absolutely nothing to do with breaking up friendships. If your friendship breaks up over RMAH, you had bigger issues that were really to blame.

As to your actual question? Yes, I'd be fine with that. I sell an item to him, it becomes his item. He does what he wants with it. I'm not going to get upset if he decides he wants to re-sell the item.
    You are correct that my question is lacking. I wrote the question with a somewhat specific scenario in my mind. The scenario is this: a person who do not use AH/RMAH won't know what is hot on AH off of the top of his head. So you formed a group with your friend to kill a boss and the boss dropped a chest piece that no one can use and you won it (we don't know how loot works yet but we can leave that part out). The chest piece is worth 10 dollars on RMAH and your friend found out by checking some RMAH mod and he offered 50g for the chest piece with the intention to resell it on RMAH.

Assuming you have no intention to use AH/RMAH at all, what would you do in this situation?

What got me curious is that people can do this in wow but they end up with wow gold. In D3, people can end up with US$ so I am wondering if this changes the way people think.

I let people do what they want. If they have all this cool gear, that just means I can get drops from them they don't need if we play together. If he still wants to take the gear to sell it on the AH, well, he's probably a jerk anyway, so RMAH solves my problem either way.

What would bother me more is if a friend refused to trade with me because he might get a quarter for the item IRL.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    What would bother me more is if a friend refused to trade with me because he might get a quarter for the item IRL.
    I would go with this aswell.

As for OP, I wouldn't care at all about gear while leveling. At max level I would save anything worthwhile and not give to my friends. Mostly because I am bad at getting gold and such so will need a good way of getting it through items. If I traded away everything I would end up being poor ingame.

The loot will be separated. What u will see drop, only you will see. And that will be for everything even gold pieces. If that boss drops a item that your friend can use, then it's up to you to trade with him.

they group wont get the same loot so you will get some loot and they others will get some other loot. so it wont be a problem

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really different to the old WoW scenario,
    BoE bingle drops, you know you can sell it for !0k on the AH, your buddy wants it but isn't willing to pay 10k for it, offers 5k or so.
    You simply have to evaluate whether the worth of the bonus to friendship you'll gain from selling it cheaper to your friend is greater or less than the loss in money / gold you'll lose from not selling it on the AH, and the loss of friendship points when you explain to him that you value money of their friendship.

ie: +2F vs 5k -1F, which is greater? totally depends on how much you value friendship and money / gold.

Quote Originally Posted by wow2011 View Post
    So you formed a group with your friend to kill a boss and the boss dropped a chest piece that no one can use and you won it (we don't know how loot works yet but we can leave that part out).
    We do know that there is no group loot. As others have mentioned, if you see an item drop, it has dropped for you specifically. So there will be no loot drama in the sense of arguing over who "deserves" the item.

I don't think your friend will even know what the item was unless you tell him, but I'm not 100% sure about that part, maybe someone in beta can confirm?

Of course, if he does find out you have something of value and manages to scam you out of it, you'd probably be pissed. But that's not really a Diablo-specific problem.

Quote Originally Posted by llubtoille View Post
    It's not really different to the old WoW scenario,
    BoE bingle drops, you know you can sell it for !0k on the AH, your buddy wants it but isn't willing to pay 10k for it, offers 5k or so.
    You simply have to evaluate whether the worth of the bonus to friendship you'll gain from selling it cheaper to your friend is greater or less than the loss in money / gold you'll lose from not selling it on the AH, and the loss of friendship points when you explain to him that you value money of their friendship.

ie: +2F vs 5k -1F, which is greater? totally depends on how much you value friendship and money / gold.
    And remember, asking someone to sell you something for half the price that it's worth, is no different than just asking them for half the price (irregardless of the item)... In short, go ask your friends for money : )

-Alamar

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    And remember, asking someone to sell you something for half the price that it's worth, is no different than just asking them for half the price (irregardless of the item)... In short, go ask your friends for money : )

-Alamar
    Definitely, you'll be paying for it with friendship points however,
    ie - the more you ask from them, the less they'll like you

We're talking about real money here... I not only believe friendships will end, but I firmly believe there will be at least one Real-Life physical beating or possible murder related to D3 RMAH competition.

Deleted
    You do now loot is NOT shared right? This problem will never happen as your friend gets his random loot and you get yours.

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post

pretty much this, but if your friend is a greedy backstabbing- etc, why even bother being his friend?

RMAH scenario you put forth, something like that happens even without RMAH, that friend of yours is in question even without making money.
    even without RMAH i would consider dropping him like a sack of bricks.

do i trust my friends not to do this? yes, some are real life friends who i would trust with access to my account, friends i have online, on wow, etc, would have further repercussions than losing a friend on D3.

but question:
    RMAH or not, why would you want a 'friend' that does that?

Quote Originally Posted by vaztes View Post
    You do now loot is NOT shared right? This problem will never happen as your friend gets his random loot and you get yours.

/thread
    please read the original post again, he says his friend buys the item for a small amount of gold, i would assume with the pretense of using it, then goes behind his back and posts it on the RMAH
    that would be like, "hey mate i need to borrow a zod rune to buy enigma"
    "ehh sure" says i.
    *friend proceeds to dupe the zod rune, selling duped runes on a website

three days later "here's your zod back"
    10 minutes later, zod rune goes *poof* when duststorm figures out it is a duped item.

would you be pissed? your friend straight up lied to you. RMAH or not, i would drop that friend like a homeless man flying a sign to buy alcohol, would drop that hamburger you gave him.
    Last edited by Christan; 2011-10-08 at 04:34 AM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Well, how could this happen? As I understand there is individual loot in diablo III, so you will all get loot - not the same loot.

Deleted
    My friends aren't going to lie to me, if they say "hey, that sells for a lot on the RMAH", and I say "yeah but I cba, I just want some gold for it", and they buy it - that's fine, they can make $100 off it then for all I care - if I didn't want to list it myself, good luck to them.

If they say "Oh but I need to wear it for an upgrade" and then sell it, they wouldn't be a friend of mine anymore, but I'm pretty confident my friends wouldn't do that.
    I plan on helping my friends with whatever gear and doing a lot of trading for what we each need.

Will people fall out over it? Probably... people always will, people fall out over loot on WoW sometimes, always hearing about loot drama and mount ninjas etc... so real money? Yeah... someone's going to get conned at some stage, but that's not friendships ending, people who'll do that weren't your friend to begin with.

I dont think it'll break any friendship.. seperated loot + he could have sold it himself but chose not to! it's his own fault if he refuses to use the RMAH. Plus, you're the one that took a risk by paying the posting fee etc

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd put on my black ski mask, pair of brass knuckles, and the Fonz-style leather jacket and go to his house and have a little 'chat'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    pretty much this, but if your friend is a greedy backstabbing- etc, why even bother being his friend?

RMAH scenario you put forth, something like that happens even without RMAH, that friend of yours is in question even without making money.
    even without RMAH i would consider dropping him like a sack of bricks.

do i trust my friends not to do this? yes, some are real life friends who i would trust with access to my account, friends i have online, on wow, etc, would have further repercussions than losing a friend on D3.

but question:
    RMAH or not, why would you want a 'friend' that does that?

please read the original post again, he says his friend buys the item for a small amount of gold, i would assume with the pretense of using it, then goes behind his back and posts it on the RMAH
    that would be like, "hey mate i need to borrow a zod rune to buy enigma"
    "ehh sure" says i.
    *friend proceeds to dupe the zod rune, selling duped runes on a website

three days later "here's your zod back"
    10 minutes later, zod rune goes *poof* when duststorm figures out it is a duped item.

would you be pissed? your friend straight up lied to you. RMAH or not, i would drop that friend like a homeless man flying a sign to buy alcohol, would drop that hamburger you gave him.
    Im not sure i get what you mean, what did he buy for gold?