10+ Year Old Account

Comp upgrading, part by part, help needed.

Well atm i have not that much spare cash but i am in need of computer upgrade, and i am buying some parts then someother parts later on, u get the point^^

Anyway ATM my comp is:

Crosshair MB rev 1,with failed booting (need disc)
    2 x 1GB Corsair Dominator ram (bad boys back when it was new)
    750W PSU
    Nvidia 8800 GTS Graphic card
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 DCP 5200+ (2.61GHz)
    Several Sata 2 and 3 WD HD's

Now this build is like 5 years old i think and when i buildt it then i went for medium high performance and thats what i am going to do again.

I have soon gotten my first parts and those are:

ASUS P8P67 PRO B3 MB
    Core I7 2600K CPU
    16GB of Corsair Vengence 1600 MHz Ram.

Now the Question is, can i swap the 3 parts and just fire the comp up, do some driver updates and im fine untill i get the rest of the parts? or do some parts and the old drivers don't mix? Not any chance of frying something?

Now for the rest of my parts (yet to be 100% decided)

Think i go with something like this:

Corsair Case of some sort.
    ASUS GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB PhysX CUDA DirectCU II TOP 900 MHz
    PSU might need some replacment later on if i buy another GC, think i go with some from Corsair (i like that brand!)^^

Anyway give me your opinion and tips!

/Cheers^^
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Now the Question is, can i swap the 3 parts and just fire the comp up, do some driver updates and im fine untill i get the rest of the parts? or do some parts and the old drivers don't mix? Not any chance of frying something?
    Since you are going from AMD to Intel you will need to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Other than that the parts listed look good and you shouldn't have to replace the power supply at least for necessary requirements. You might want to replace it for aesthetic reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Since you are going from AMD to Intel you will need to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Other than that the parts listed look good and you shouldn't have to replace the power supply at least for necessary requirements. You might want to replace it for aesthetic reasons.
    How shall i do it? like making a new partion beforehand or shall i put it together and start the W7 install disc at once when i fire it up first time?

Deleted
    Would say that everything will work together, your graphics card seems to fit into your new Mobo, the only thing that i could come up with might being a problem is your OS that you might have to reinstall but i will let other people say something about that.

For the Corsair case i would say in my opinion, the graphite 600t white or the Carbide 500R also in white you could also get them in black/gray but comon, they both look great white!

Edit: what Culadin said about the HD and OS
    Last edited by mmocad6adc97cd; 2011-10-08 at 06:51 PM.

When changing MOBO and CPU id 100% format and Reinstall windows then your drivers etc. Also check for bios updates b4 installing anything.

Clockworks

copy any thing you want to keep to another hdd, you mentioned you have multiple physical drives so one of those will work. what i do when i reformat, copy the things i want to keep to another hdd, get updated drivers ( i put those on a USB thumb drive), put the windows 7 disk in the drive, shut down, remove ALL hdds ( unplug power ) except the one you are going to install windows to. boot from 7 disc, install 7, install drivers, get updates from windows update, tweak the way it looks, how the start menu is organize, etc, then shut down, reconnect the hdds i unplugged, then proceed to install everything :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Shall i download latest Bios and put it on a usb flash drive?Easy to update the new MB with it or much work?

Ty for the advice btw.

First off 16gb of Ram is OVERKILL to the max. 6gb should be all that you really need. 6 or 12 if you want to use triple channel memory. If you go 4, 8 etc you get dual channel. With 16gb you do get triple, but its a waste of money imo that you could use to buy a much better graphics card or hdd. I have the i7 970 six core 12 thread and I only have 6 gb of ram and my machine never uses more than 4 or 5 gbs when I am playing a game with max settings and running browsers and other such things in the background.

Unless you plan on doing heavy duty HD video editing/rendering or 3d apps for engineering 16gb is a waste.

Take the extra cash and score a decent graphics card. Best bang for your buck would be to get two GTX 550ti or 560tis and SLI them. Way better performance than a single 570 or 580.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockworks View Post
    How shall i do it? like making a new partion beforehand or shall i put it together and start the W7 install disc at once when i fire it up first time?
    Backup your important information on a second partition, external drive, DVD, or USB. Then format the drive and install Windows 7 via the disk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    First off 16gb of Ram is OVERKILL to the max. 6gb should be all that you really need. 6 or 12 if you want to use triple channel memory. If you go 4, 8 etc you get dual channel. With 16gb you do get triple, but its a waste of money imo that you could use to buy a much better graphics card or hdd. I have the i7 970 six core 12 thread and I only have 6 gb of ram and my machine never uses more than 4 or 5 gbs when I am playing a game with max settings and running browsers and other such things in the background.

Unless you plan on doing heavy duty HD video editing/rendering or 3d apps for engineering 16gb is a waste.

Take the extra cash and score a decent graphics card. Best bang for your buck would be to get two GTX 550ti or 560tis and SLI them. Way better performance than a single 570 or 580.
    Well i spent a lot of time thinking about the memories and to be frank, better having to much than to little, and the 16GB kit was not that expensive tbh, like 40 dollar more at most. picked those memories on corsairs homesite when checking their recomend list for the MB.

---------- Post added 2011-10-08 at 07:27 PM ----------

Also i would like to stream my playing,use Photoshop and have even more tabs open whitout having to close most like i do these days.

hehe,Atm when i gona play wow seriously i do CTRL ALT DEL and close down the Plugin-Container.exe to free up 200 - 400MB of ram space, and closing firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockworks View Post
    Shall i download latest Bios and put it on a usb flash drive?Easy to update the new MB with it or much work?

Ty for the advice btw.
    BIOS updates are only worth it if something is going wrong with the computer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, in this case. Software wise, naturally download new drivers; they won't brick your motherboard/GPU/etc if something goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post

First off, he won't be doing triple channel, as he has a LGA1155 chip in the works. Also, I'm about to move to 16GiB RAM here... I have my pagefile turned off to reduce SSD load, and I've maxed my 8GiB to the point programs start crashing due to low memory. I like to let things run though, so I'll have WoW, World of Tanks, and Starcraft II running, and Firefox will crash due to low memory limits. With RAM as cheap as it is, might as well go for 16 gigs.

Also, 16 gigs is not triple channel, unless he was somehow getting 5.333 GiB on a stick. They're usually in 4x4GiB packages, so you can do dual or quad channel.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-10-10 at 03:23 AM.
    Super casual.

Clockworks,

Nellah would be correct... no need to update the bios unless you need to... but if comfortable with it.. it wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't hurt if you didn't :-) besides... some motherboards have features/ways to help prevent a semi-dead motherboard if a bios flash goes wrong, ie Gigabytes Dual Bios.... ram... meh.. to each his own, i put 6 gigs im my own Core i7 930 socket 1366 setup and i;m fine with it... maybe in 2-3 years i'd increase it, but for now.. its fine ...

I'm confused. You're talking about medium-high performance, so you're getting an i7-2600K and 16GB of RAM, probably 75% of which will rarely (if ever) be legitimately utilized?

The CPU on newegg is $315. Looks like the RAM is the $52/8GB stuff on there? That's $104 for RAM, then. Motherboard's $175, as I doubt you're going open box (though it's often smart, except going AMD-->Intel means it might not be a great idea).

So 3 parts (CPU/RAM/Board) totals about $600 before tax/shipping. If you're talking medium-high performance, I think this is overkill. My friend went and got an almost entirely-new setup for about $300, getting a 3.2 GHz 955 Phenom II x2, which unlocks to a quad core every time, a decent ASUS motherboard, 8 GB of Corsair RAM, and a 500GB HDD, then he's going to get a 650W Corsair PSU soon, but I'd still say everything is around $300-350. It'll also be able to run anything he throws at it easily, I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong--what you're getting is solid. However, if you're not wanting to go high-end, go i5 or one of the Black Edition AMD chips that almsot always unlock to quad core for about $80. It seems you're going wat overboard for your statement intentions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    I'm confused. You're talking about medium-high performance, so you're getting an i7-2600K and 16GB of RAM, probably 75% of which will rarely (if ever) be legitimately utilized?

The CPU on newegg is $315. Looks like the RAM is the $52/8GB stuff on there? That's $104 for RAM, then. Motherboard's $175, as I doubt you're going open box (though it's often smart, except going AMD-->Intel means it might not be a great idea).

So 3 parts (CPU/RAM/Board) totals about $600 before tax/shipping. If you're talking medium-high performance, I think this is overkill. My friend went and got an almost entirely-new setup for about $300, getting a 3.2 GHz 955 Phenom II x2, which unlocks to a quad core every time, a decent ASUS motherboard, 8 GB of Corsair RAM, and a 500GB HDD, then he's going to get a 650W Corsair PSU soon, but I'd still say everything is around $300-350. It'll also be able to run anything he throws at it easily, I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong--what you're getting is solid. However, if you're not wanting to go high-end, go i5 or one of the Black Edition AMD chips that almsot always unlock to quad core for about $80. It seems you're going wat overboard for your statement intentions.
    Well Today the Memory and MB arived, waiting for CPU from other seller. In my eyes this build i intend is pretty highend but not max, way more expensive memory and MB's out there. Also atm i have aprox 4 HD's with total 4 TB of space. i am a media guy and i am out of space soon again. Gona buy another 2 TB storage disc soon since they cheap anyway. Also in the future i gona buy a SSD for the OS.

When i build a comp for myself i buy the best i can without ruin myself. The cpu choice i have thinked alot on. the I5 would work but i can afford the I7 and after much thinking i was like ''Hey lets go for it''

Anyway ty for good replys and now if someone want give me some recomendation for SSD in the 120GB's.

PS i am done with AMD, my 3rd amd comp i have atm, now its time for real intel that i could not afford last time i built a comp.

/Cheers^^

For SSDs I chose the Intel 510 after a couple weeks of research and thought. The OCZ drives have higher random throughput, but the Intel drives are awesome for reliability, and I have zero complaints at all after switching from a Caviar Black boot drive to my 120GB Intel 510. Even though it was just before an $80 price drop, I still like the drive.
    Super casual.

IMHO if you can afford 16-32gb of ram do it up it isnt going to hurt you. Personally i have same let it run issue as previously stated. I do have a pagefile however. Still when running WoW and doing video editing and my occasional programming homework my cpu used to get a little low on memory so i tend to love my 16gbs now

10+ Year Old Account
    Updating this.

I have gotten the i7 2600K Cpu, The 16Gig of ram and the P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 Mobo.
    Well i put everything together and fired my comp up and made a fresh W7 install. And hell i loved my comp again everything was so fast and smoth again!

Then the good times ended.

I went to bed and next morning when i woke up, my comp was turned of (always on) and did not start again. tryed every trick i could find while googling and the only info i found was that the mobo i had bought was known to have a high failure rate.

Well i ofc checked if i had made any assembly mistake, and took the comp appart agin to check if i had missed som old pinns from the old mobo but found nothing, exept that a square component on the backside was toasted! I contacted my seller and got a new mobo.

Assembled that one and was really really carefull when doing so, but then when i tryed to start the comp the CPU led on the mobo lighted red!
    After another search on the web i found that to also be another common error on the ''Pro'' series.

After talking to the seller again we agreed on an 3rd mobo of the ''Deluxe'' series.
    Well with that done i tought the problems was finally ower and assembled the Deluxe card only to have that freaking CPU led glow red again!

Well after another long talk with the part retailer again we came up with 2 possible errors, the first was that the Deluxe Mobo was also faulty but we found that 3 cards straight would be unlikely...
    The other possible fault was that when mobo number 1 broke it killed the CPU at the same time, and the 2'nd and 3rd mobo is working.

Well i gona send the CPU to intel on monday and have them replace it, if faulty.

The both Pro mobos i gona get a refund for anyway.

Hoping that i can get this problems fixed soon, eighter the Cpu or Mobo is the faulty product atm.

When i get this fixed i gona go for the Graphic card, then a Force GT 120gb ssd.

PS, was not fun putting my old ''gear'' back in the case 3 times!^^
    Last edited by Clockworks; 2011-10-22 at 09:27 AM.

Well whoever your seller is seems to have great customer service

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorzz View Post
    Well whoever your seller is seems to have great customer service
    Hehe, well so far so good, i still have to return the other cards, and get cash, once that is done i shall give my final oppinion.