Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like the concept of multiple guilds per characters, therefore I will only be in one. But my mind might change-

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    I don't like the concept of multiple guilds per characters, therefore I will only be in one. But my mind might change-
    And that's what is great about this game. You don't have to join multiple guilds, hell you don't even need to join one to be successful thanks to dynamic events.

The point of multiple guilds is to bring each server together almost like one giant guild. It will bring the community really close so when WvWvW rolls around the servers will be very tightly knit instead of it just being all individual guilds.
    Last edited by whill4; 2011-10-08 at 08:03 PM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcreed View Post
    You are very much going to need a guild for the more "end-game" dynamic events, they are going to be at least as hard as the raids are in WoW. And communication will be key in this. However, I think arenanet is shaping these dynamic events so that "random noobs" wont be able to ruin it for you. At least not if you are doingwell as a guild. I honestly have not enjoyed raiding in WoW for several years now. While I was very enthousiastic about it earlier. So I myself am very welcoming to this change to PvE.

-About the guilds and their adventages in WvWvW PvP I dont know much, so I cant help you with that-
    That got me thinking. Since Dynamic Events arn't instanced and basically open to anyone, does that mean that those "random people" who happen across the event when a large guild is taking it one becomes part of it? And if so, does that mean that guilds might be a bit more secretive about their "raid" times? Or will it be in the direction that ANet is hoping for and that random people who join with those larger guilds in the area to defeat dargons will help build a community?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only difference people tagging along for big dynamic events is they will become a bit harder with additional members fighting. So, as long as the randoms pull their weight it shouldn't affect the guild group doing it. Everyone from the guild will still get their rewards without the outsiders stealing them.

As for this. I can see how it can be awesome if you're in a very specific guild, say you and a bunch of RL friends become hardcore explorable dungeon runners, yet still want a bigger group for WvWvW PvP. (example).

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    That got me thinking. Since Dynamic Events arn't instanced and basically open to anyone, does that mean that those "random people" who happen across the event when a large guild is taking it one becomes part of it? And if so, does that mean that guilds might be a bit more secretive about their "raid" times? Or will it be in the direction that ANet is hoping for and that random people who join with those larger guilds in the area to defeat dargons will help build a community?
    Even if a guild were to try and keep their raid schedule a secret, people would stumble across their world DE, anyway. It'd be more like a battle of Wintergrasp, I think, if I had to liken it to anything in WoW; there may be a guild group present for the fight, but there will also be random people there, all of whom are working towards the same end goal (but without consciously directed oppostion - AI enemies instead of players). Considering how multifaceted some of these encounters seem to be, I would hope that the guild group would focus most on the more technical aspects of a fight (manning and maintaining cannons during the Tequatal encounter, for example) and then direct random passersby to focus on adds. This would lead to a stronger community, I would hope, as it really does seem to breed cohesion regardless of guild status.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    It has been said by Colin I think that dynamic events will continually poll for participation. If some guild is fighting a dragon and some other group shows up and starts attacking, the event will scale up in difficulty. If the group that shows up just stands there, the event will stay the same difficulty and they wont get any loot/karma/gold/experience. There is no kill stealing. There is no loot stealing. Everyone that participates gets a share.

This builds a community because people aren't competing with each other for a specific item. In WoW's dungeons and raids you fight a boss, hope that your item drops, and hope that another person doesn't need the item you want.

Slightly off-topic, but resource nodes can't be stolen either. If I remember correctly, nodes are individually phased. If you grab a node, someone else can come right in behind you and use that same node.
    Last edited by Plagous; 2011-10-08 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plagous View Post
    It has been said by Colin I think that dynamic events will continually poll for participation. If some guild is fighting a dragon and some other group shows up and starts attacking, the event will scale up in difficulty. If the group that shows up just stands there, the event will stay the same difficulty and they wont get any loot/karma/gold/experience. There is no kill stealing. There is no loot stealing. Everyone that participates gets a share.

This builds a community because people aren't competing with each other for a specific item. In WoW's dungeons and raids you fight a boss, hope that your item drops, and hope that another person doesn't need the item you want.
    I...I...I just jizzed my pants..again.

Yes! Finally getting rid of the entire competing guild mentality, I think will do marvels for the sense of community.
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

Deleted
    I think the multiple guilds per character is beefing up the guest privilege that existed in GW1 (think that's what it was called been like 4 years since I last played :P) It was essentially for PvP and more specifically GvG if you were a man down you could invite a friend from another guild as a guest, this meant they could travel to your guild hall, join your group and do GvG with you. the guest pass lasted around 48 hours or so then expired.

The multiple guilds sounds like a more permenant version of this and as others have said is more than likely to build up server community and get people talking to each other rather than them just being other random players in the game so things like the dynamic events and WvWvW events run a bit more smoothly.

Ok so I guess having the multiple guilds option is just an option, not a requirement, so for those who wish to play it as "a loyal member of their battle team" can still do so. That's cool I guess, and like a couple of you that have posted, I'll probably be doing the same. At most I might make like a little 3 man guild with a couple friends that can only play like an hour a week or something, just so I can talk to them.

Another detail that was brought up was the scaling of the dynamic events. This may actually be a cool way to recruit/meet new people. Since you can be in more than one guild, if you happen to come across a DE and enjoy fighting alongside the guild that started it, maybe you can join up with them. Benefit being of course that you don't have to deliberate about leaving your current guild in order to join the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventashar View Post
    I agree with this 1,030% times infinity squared. Being able to swap between guilds just feels like crap, where's the loyalty to your guild?
    I have friends all over the country who can't get together and do the harder stuff but we still like being guilded together so we can chat and do random easy things. This will allow me to join a real pvp guild and still stay guilded with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being in multiple guilds does not mean you aren't loyal to them. I"ll probably meet some cool friends that I'll want to be guilded with but also have the guys I've played MMO's with for 6 years in another guild. This just allows me to remain close to both sets of friends and be able to do stuff with them all the time. It's a great addition I believe.