Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Release Date Coinciding with College Finals

I don't know about anyone else here, but I am a Freshman in college and my fall semester finals are directly centered around December 20th. I've got one final on the 19th and another on the 21st. The others don't even have dates yet. Is anyone else in the same boat as I am? Is anyone else disappointed at BioWare for releasing the game at such an inconvenient time for college students?

I would like to note that the release date has not hindered my excitement for the game in any way, and that I am still an avid follower of anything SWTOR.

It's called..Waiting and putting your classes before a simple game? =O I'm in the same boat but its no biggie to me. I'm not disapointed at all..its a good date to release.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker of Muerte View Post
    It's called..Waiting and putting your classes before a simple game? =O I'm in the same boat but its no biggie to me. I'm not disapointed at all..its a good date to release.
    Yes, I fully intend to put my classes before this (not simple, by any means) game. I am just slightly disappointed that I will have staggered and fragmented play time during my finals period (release). On the bright side, after finals, it's clear sailing. It's really not a big deal, though. I just wanted to post my thoughts out there and see if I am alone or if some people agree with me.

Just think, in a few short years you'll be like us old people when every single game release is right in the middle of the endless toil that is your job.

Well, either that or else given the current economy you'll be able to play as many games as you want for as long as you want, since you'll be unemployed.

That sucks man, luckily for me, my exams are the week of the 12th so I'll be in full gaming mode when the game releases

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya, the key is to remember that the game will be there no matter what. You won't lose anything by not playing, so take your life seriously and do your best. Then come home/back to dorm, and be proud of what you did and reward yourself.

Better than me... Im in Afghanistan for another month or so after it gets released...

Look at it this way, you'll be a day behind the crowd. Less crowded zones, easier to quest...I'm gonna wait myself for than likely since Gamestop has pre-ordered me without a code >_<

Deleted
    Mine finish on the 12th

Quote Originally Posted by Marksman79 View Post
    Yes, I fully intend to put my classes before this (not simple, by any means) game. I am just slightly disappointed that I will have staggered and fragmented play time during my finals period (release). On the bright side, after finals, it's clear sailing. It's really not a big deal, though. I just wanted to post my thoughts out there and see if I am alone or if some people agree with me.
    Im really not clear on this... if youre being sarcastic... are you upset or not about finals? It sounds like you are happy if I read this with "sarcasm". Is something bad happening after finals?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oiy this happens every semester end. Oh noes don't release in june! that's when finals are! No! not March! that's Midterms! Not december! that's finals again!

There is actually no universal consensus on what day to have finals on.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Screw them. Job market sucks.
    I like sandwiches

Alright, thank you for letting us know=)

I'd much rather have to stagger playtime with finals than do a workaround with a job ("hooray" for first day tomorrow = less beta time). The amount of time you have to play games in college/university is so smuch more than while working a job so cherish it while it lasts...and, as far as I know, you can't get fired for missing class . Be a good boy and study. SWTOR will still be there when it's done and then you can reward yourself with 18 hour play days only emerging for food.

Now off to bed! I'm so lucky that I have to get up at 5:30AM!

---------- Post added 2011-10-09 at 11:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Oiy this happens every semester end. Oh noes don't release in june! that's when finals are! No! not March! that's Midterms! Not december! that's finals again!

There is actually no universal consensus on what day to have finals on.
    Like when profs scheduled midterms specifically on St. Patrick's Day? And your class was a night class so you couldn't just get it over with and still have most of the day? And because it's a midterm you couldn't blow it off? Happened to too many of my friends and luckily I was always out of my tree by noon though I did miss our dodgeball playoff game and it made me very sad.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The last thing you should be doing as a freshmen in college is playing an MMO, but hey its your choice man.

And whats the problem with starting a day later, or a week later, or a month later? Are you expecting to race to the level cap? The way I see it is you have your entire break to play and you're worried about a day or two. What if it was released on December 10th, or the day you started back in spring semester?

Also, remember what happens to most MMOs on release day. When you're staring at a queue timer or a server down message for a half a day or possibly even several days in a row, will you still be worried about when the game was released?

Quote Originally Posted by Marksman79 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else here, but I am a Freshman in college and my fall semester finals are directly centered around December 20th. I've got one final on the 19th and another on the 21st. The others don't even have dates yet. Is anyone else in the same boat as I am? Is anyone else disappointed at BioWare for releasing the game at such an inconvenient time for college students?

I would like to note that the release date has not hindered my excitement for the game in any way, and that I am still an avid follower of anything SWTOR.
    How the hell should Bioware know when your finals are? Talk about thinking you are the center of the universe...I suppose Bioware should have emailed you personally and asked what date would work best for you?

When I was in college, finals were always around Dec. 5th. Not sure why your school is so late, but for most people they will already be on break when it comes out.

Not to mention its pretty close to christmas...
    ill still 'try' to play my ass off but ill prolly end up with my family.

i understand and im sorry that you're stuck like that but irl > game and you wont regret acing your exam when you're done!
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

I think they've actually done this on purpose in order to have people stagger their start dates and avoid the nightmarish queues and technical problems of a typical MMO release. Not targeting people with college finals specifically, just EVERYONE who has something more important to do over the holidays.

They'll get one wave of people starting on release day... A few people in the following days who were busy taking finals or traveling... A big wave on Christmas and immediately after, kids who got the game as a present... Another wave in late December/early January as people's schedules get back to normal.

Personally I won't be playing the game til January 2-3, but I'll definitely be watching to see how this plays out.

15+ Year Old Account
    For me the release date is perfect, and I'm also in college, but exams for the first semester start only at the end of january.

15+ Year Old Account
    How in the world do your finals end that late in December is what I wanna know. I have never seen a college end the fall semester with less that a week til Christmas. On top of that, when does your spring semester start up if the fall ends that late?