Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Engineering and DPS Warriors.

I'm currently Eng\JC, but thinking about dropping Engineering. I don't feel i'm getting the most out of it. This is purely from a dps perspective, I feel that Blacksmithing could be better.

Thoughts?

If you make the most out of Synapse Springs then I think the benefits equal out. BS may be the best in 4.3 if they allow epic gems to be used in the sockets and don't buff the other profession benefits. I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head and honestly too lazy to look them up, but the difference isn't major. I honestly feel BS>Eng because even if it is just a few points difference, you can atleast craft your own weapons and such. I'm still an engineer though since it isn't game changing enough for me to drop the gold and make the switch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go blacksmithing.

I'm going to do the same thing, currently engi/mining. Decided I am going to drop Engi, level BS while I still have mining, and then drop mining after farming mats needed to level JC after.
    Lained - 60 Shaman | Lainedtv - 60 Druid | Lainedz - 60 Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Agallochh View Post
    I'd go blacksmithing.

I'm going to do the same thing, currently engi/mining. Decided I am going to drop Engi, level BS while I still have mining, and then drop mining after farming mats needed to level JC after.
    I'm in same spot. I don't feel like powerleveling two at the moment though so may just swap the mining for jc.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    But remember, come 4.3 engineers will be able to transmogrify all helms into goggles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
    I'm currently Eng\JC, but thinking about dropping Engineering. I don't feel i'm getting the most out of it. This is purely from a dps perspective, I feel that Blacksmithing could be better.

Thoughts?
    Go Blacksmithing.

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

I'd say if you bind Synapses to CS and pop it always together with you CDs, it's worth waay more than the static 80str from BS. And the goggles, not that they do much..
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

I just powered Enchanting and BS on my warrior alt, BS felt realy nice as the engi bonus for my offspec tanking is pretty shit

Though it would be nice to have the SS to use druing reck :<

Engi is ok. JC / BS is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
    I'd say if you bind Synapses to CS and pop it always together with you CDs, it's worth waay more than the static 80str from BS. And the goggles, not that they do much..
    Do you have proof of that, "its worth waaay more"?

Blacksmithing gives you access to gear that you'll rarely make money on and you'll never use (the age of belt buckles being a cash cow has past,) in favor of a debatable tiny DPS increase. Versus Engineering, which gives you Jeeves, the mailbox, Northrend wormhole, and the volatile air extractor, as well as the 18k bubble and the slowfall to cloak. Stay Engineering.

BS is superior to Eng how?

80 passive str. or, a short CD that averages out to 80str, yet you can stack it with some procs or key moves (CS).

out side of that, BS gives you nothing. Engineering gives you flying machines, mailbox, bots, portals, tinkers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    BS is superior to Eng how?

80 passive str. or, a short CD that averages out to 80str, yet you can stack it with some procs or key moves (CS).

out side of that, BS gives you nothing. Engineering gives you flying machines, mailbox, bots, portals, tinkers
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
    Both these responses explain how engineering does not lag behind BS.

Blizz you'd hope will give Engi's a buff if the profession lags behind the others majorly.

Stop being so ignorant.

This all boils down to one question: Do you want an on use boost or a static boost? If you want the on use boost keep Eng.

Yes, but BS will go ahead in 4.3 when introducing new gems no?

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
    Do you have proof of that, "its worth waaay more"?
    Sorry about wall:

Strength value raises per-point during dps increasing CDs. That's what's behind the whole lining up CDs thing, they synergize and are amplified by one another. When Synapses are used on cd, the average strength gain on paper is no bigger than that of 2x Str gems:

(10s uptime divided by 60s cd = 0,1666666666666667 or ~16.67% uptime per minute -> 0,1666666666666667 times 480 = 80).

However, when Synapses are used during CDs, their average Str value rises rapidly. Gem value rises too, but since Synapses average Str gain is based on a mere 10s uptime per minute, we can easily squeeze those 10s into a strong dps CD like Deathwish, and milk the 480Str from Synapses for all it's worth.

For our example, let's use Synapses coupled only with DW (30%), naturally we'd also be popping CS/trinkets maybe a golemblood, but for simplicities sake let's completely disregard those and stay at a clean 30% gain (in reality the dps gain would be rising far over 30%) :

480 times 1.3 (30% Deathwish) = 624 -> 624 times 0,1666666666666667 (synapse spring uptime per minute) =
    104 Average Str over 1min after DW.

The 80 Str gained by the BS gems are also affected by Deathwish, in order to compare we need to know how DW affected the average Str gain per minute of the gems:

80 times 1.3 = 104, or a dps value of 104 Str during Deathwish, Synapses average out to 104 over a -whole minute- (or a dps value of 208Str during DW), so we need to account for the average Str of the gems in the 30s after DW as well:

104 (average str during DW) + 80 (average Str after DW) = 184 divided by 2 =
    92 Average Str over 1min after DW.

Synapses provide a greater Strength gain during cds than gems, and the more CDs you can chain up, the more powerful the Synapses become.

That said.. while you can't squeeze the same dps gain out of the Strength gems during cds, the gems provide a more reliable dps gain outside of cds, for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Calamari; 2011-10-10 at 02:20 PM.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Deleted
    What about LW is it any good for dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggah View Post
    Yes, but BS will go ahead in 4.3 when introducing new gems no?
    Good point. Unless they beef Synapses as well, 2x epic strength gems will likely be better.

10+ Year Old Account
    JC/Eng Is the way to go after looking over number / CD etc.

Dunno, I think Synapse Springs synergize with Colossus Smash wonderfully.
    For me they are macroed together, so whenever I CS and SS isn't on cooldown, I get a little "burst-inside-burst"

Either way, if you're using SS on cooldown, the bonuses should be equal, as far as I know.