Thread: Addons?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its not so much if addons are needed but more a "I just kinda like player made addons". So while strictly not necessary, its fun to have them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelkyri View Post
    You wont really need them, key bindings at most.
    More so in GW2 than in WoW. The combat is much more dynamic (evading/dodging), and you will fail without keybinds (mostly in PvP ofc). Unless you have insanely large hands and your index finger can reach 6,...,10. :P And binding 10 skills shouldn't be to difficult..

I just hope the GW2 UI will be clear in things like DoT/debuff duration and CDs (think OmniCC etc).

Edit: Indexfinger I mean
    Last edited by mmoc3157d46ea6; 2011-10-09 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    More so in GW2 than in WoW. The combat is much more dynamic (evading/dodging), and you fail without keybinds (mostly in PvP ofc). Unless you have insanely large hands and your little finger can reach 6,...,10. :P And binding 10 skills shouldn't be to difficult..
    *measures*..6 -10 a bit of a stretch but can do ^^
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    I just hope the GW2 UI will be clear in things like DoT/debuff duration and CDs (think OmniCC etc).

Edit: Indexfinger I mean
    Considering my memories of PvP in GW1, I don't think it will be. One of the major aspects of skill in GW was (and still is) being able to count and track enemy debuffs on multiple targets in your head. It was a REQUIREMENT to be a decent mesmer and ranger in fact. I recall being able to juggle shutdown hexes, blackout and gale on 5 targets at best in GvG when helping a friend boost a guild into top100 that had really REALLY bad monks and below average in other spots while still participating in over half of spikes (through that was really "all focus, fingers sweaty and pained after the game" kind of playing).

But if hexes and conditions on enemy were easily visible and trackable, being a mesmer would certainly get a LOT easier. I'm not against it per se, in fact WoW arenas really spoiled me on that and I'm for it.

On the other hand, one thing I really want to change is the way situational awareness works in GW. In GW1, you could tell if player was at least decent in PvP by asking him to take a screenshot of his interface and looking at how big his minimap compass was and where it was placed. Because it was more important then seeing actual playing field, and in most scenarios you could play looking only at compass and tactical displays (party health bars, enemy health bar, enemy skills, your skills) and you would play much much BETTER then someone who played looking at game field instead of compass.

10+ Year Old Account
    i really hope there is no damage meter in GW2. id go so far as to say that anyone who uses a damage meter mod in gw2 should be outright permabanned

besides being able to swap out any skill when ever you are out of combat kind of makes a damage meter pointless when you can fine tune your spec for every single encoutner
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    i really hope there is no damage meter in GW2. id go so far as to say that anyone who uses a damage meter mod in gw2 should be outright permabanned

besides being able to swap out any skill when ever you are out of combat kind of makes a damage meter pointless when you can fine tune your spec for every single encoutner
    I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. Damage meter is the only tool that would be able to tell you that someone hasn't optimized his build, or is just generally sub-par. At least in guild environment, I can see it being extremely useful to find out who are bads and who are not.

Obviously, this would only work for damage dealers, but since everyone is a damage dealer in GW2, I would expect ability to monitor damage in competitive environment to be somehow implemented. Else you'll have to either do what we did in GW1, only group with people you know. Which in turn reduces the amount of groups available to people without good friends network in the game massively, and was quite possibly the biggest source of forum crying back when I quit the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. Damage meter is the only tool that would be able to tell you that someone hasn't optimized his build, or is just generally sub-par. At least in guild environment, I can see it being extremely useful to find out who are bads and who are not.

Obviously, this would only work for damage dealers, but since everyone is a damage dealer in GW2, I would expect ability to monitor damage in competitive environment to be somehow implemented. Else you'll have to either do what we did in GW1, only group with people you know. Which in turn reduces the amount of groups available to people without good friends network in the game massively, and was quite possibly the biggest source of forum crying back when I quit the game.
    Yeah, but everyone is also a healer and controller; how much damage people deal isn't the whole story on whether they contributed to the encounter. Moreover, what does it matter if you have a bad player? In elite dynamic events the bads aren't exactly taking a slot away from someone better (and I'd imagine that the rewards would be slightly sweeter as well), and in a dungeon you can always just carry them, because every character is able to control and heal.

The only genuine competitive environment in GW2 is PvP and WvWvW. No-one uses a damage meter in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Merus View Post
    Yeah, but everyone is also a healer and controller; how much damage people deal isn't the whole story on whether they contributed to the encounter. Moreover, what does it matter if you have a bad player? In elite dynamic events the bads aren't exactly taking a slot away from someone better (and I'd imagine that the rewards would be slightly sweeter as well), and in a dungeon you can always just carry them, because every character is able to control and heal.

The only genuine competitive environment in GW2 is PvP and WvWvW. No-one uses a damage meter in PvP.
    I see you haven't played GW1. There were several places in it which were supposed to not be too competitive.

All of them ended up completely and utterly dominated by competitive players, and there was a massive whineage by non-competitive players that they couldn't get a group going... because all the decent people who made the groups only took friends in to avoid bads.

Damage meter wouldn't serve the "elitists". They don't need it, they can fill their group from friend list. It would serve the average player, who would be able to join groups made by elitists.

P.S. Damage meter has a very significant use in PvP. It shows you your own skill layout, and damage per skill, in addition to amount of times you used each skill. This information is extremely valuable when optimizing your own gameplay.

P.P.S. They are trying hard to make competitive PvE environments in GW2. It most certainly won't be anything at WoW level, but it doesn't mean it won't be there. This started in GW1 in nightfall.

AddOns - because its too hard to use only the unedited UI.

I used Gladius back in season 5 when almost everyone else did it, but other than that addons are just unneccessary, they do add some valuable bonuses but nothing necessary.

Oh, and damage meter does not have a very significant use in pvp, thats just silly.
    Last edited by luedieniel; 2011-10-10 at 07:52 AM.

I hope there will be no addons in the game...people just cannot use them right..
    tha doesn't mean I a ma slacker I always be on top 3 on meters.. not that I care though
    but I realized in wow after long time they made more bad than good overall

Only thing I was missing in aion without addons was that I didn't knew how much of a specific items I had on alt banks e.t.c.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    I hope there will be no addons in the game...people just cannot use them right..
    That is something I don't understand. If you don't like some type of addons why must ALL addons be banned? You know you can allow addons and still not allow certain kinds of them? After all, it's the ANet developers who define the addon API and what addons can do, like e.g. they can make the API so limited that you can only modify UI elements from addons but there aren't any API calls at all for reading combat logs or stats from the gameworld.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post

the way build optimization works in GW2 doesnt have to do with damage, your stats would really be the only thing you could change to max dps. either way it is 1) pointless and 2) destroys the feeling of the game 3) ruins the feeling of immersion and 4) turns a visceral combat system into yet another boring mmo combat system where everyone is super specialized
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

That is something I don't understand. If you don't like some type of addons why must ALL addons be banned? You know you can allow addons and still not allow certain kinds of them? After all, it's the ANet developers who define the addon API and what addons can do, like e.g. they can make the API so limited that you can only modify UI elements from addons but there aren't any API calls at all for reading combat logs or stats from the gameworld.
    that is correct but I yet have to find a game that from one hand they support addons and from the other hand have them extremely limited...so maybe arena net will make the difference here too but my experience say that if a game going down the road to addons then the limits will be just to prevent bots...also I don't know if it is easy to create an api so complex where you will not allow certain addon and you will allow others..I for once I am against addons like damage meter, gear score, boss mods and everything may be used by people to measure the skills of the players..not that I consider myself not skilled player, I play mmo's lot of years and I ve been in top guilds..but these addons really affect people in a bad way
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    also I don't know if it is easy to create an api so complex where you will not allow certain addon and you will allow others..
    You clearly aren't a programmer. It's MORE complex to create the API that encompasses everything than it is to just leave out such API functions that aren't relevant to the UI, not less complex.
    Last edited by mmoc3b091e0ba3; 2011-10-10 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    You clearly aren't a programmer. It's MORE complex to create the API that encompasses everything than it is to just leave out such API functions that aren't relevant to the UI, not less complex.
    indeed I am not a programmer, also as I said my experience say that if a game is going to allow addons then they are not limit them down...so again my opinion is that I don't want addons I am not trying to convince you to not want addons not I say I will not play the game if it has addons...addons may provide some quality of life changes (such as see what your alts have in their bags) but overall they do more bad than good and I am not changing my opinion..

If Arenanet will give a limited API I don't know, but even then people will always ask for more and more and I don't know how this will turn out in future

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    Hopefully there won't be any game breaking addons. But maybe some instore ones that would help out with some off beat kinda things. Like auctioneer, atlasloot, etc. in WoW. That would be fine, just nothing to give a huge advantage.
    I think any next-gen MMO should already bring this included, but thats me.

Theres nothing worst than a simple AH frame, with fuck all information.

For the ones that played WARhammer online, ToK was the best feature a MMO gave me in the last 5 years playing MMO's, every game should get their own ToK version, and not the shit version Blizzard implemented as achivements tab, ToK was far far superior and very functional

I haven't played warhammer online but can you explain what ToK was? Ireally wanna know now you mentioned it :P

also as far goes for addons just saw this thread pop up http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post13602071

it is exactly the reason I don't want them...I say again not that I am not good player or I don't use potions for damage, currently I provide potions for guildm8s also...I just don't want to get tracked by someone whatever he thinks he is...is like I don't want camera's on the roads or at my home doesn't mean I am a criminal...

Deleted
    I just don't want to get tracked by someone whatever he thinks he is...is like I don't want camera's on the roads or at my home doesn't mean I am a criminal...
    If you don't want others seeing what you're doing you're playing the wrong type of game.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    If you don't want others seeing what you're doing you're playing the wrong type of game.
    lol...you are the one you wanted to play solo because you had bad experiences and so on..you dind't want to talk to anyone, you didn't want to socialize with other and you come to tell me now I chose the wrong type of game?I don't want "police" type of addons and thats very very different from "I don't want others see what I am doing"...

Deleted
    lol...you are the one you wanted to play solo because you had bad experiences and so on..you dind't want to talk to anyone, you didn't want to socialize with other and you come to tell me now I chose the wrong type of game?
    Indeed. I never said I have any trouble with others seeing my char doing stuff, I only don't want to interact with them myself.

I don't want "police" type of addons and thats very very different from "I don't want others see what I am doing"...
    Well, why is it different when an addon tracks that and when a real person does the same thing? They can still see whether or not you're drinking potions or such.