Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why should I be excited?

Why should I be excited for swtor? I've started thinking more about it recently but I can't really find a way to become enthused with swtor over GW2. As far as I can tell, swtor will just be a mix of WoW and Dragon Age, neither of which are exceptional games imo anymore. I am obviously missing something (especially since this that was a gross generalisation/underestimation I'm sure), so can you please give me more reasons to be excited about, especially PVP.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...arious-sources

A lot of great stuff on page 1. Go ahead and read it.

Deleted
    I guess Im more interested in how the game play differs. From that all I picked up was that there will be a cover mechanic, ranged tanks and NPC companions. None of which are terribly exciting to me. I guess its a much more story driven MMO whereas GW2 has thrown a lot of energy into offering different gameplay. Anyway, if those are the only major gameplay differences, thanks.

there was already a thread just like this, go look at that one.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-TONS-of-hype
    Last edited by Argroth; 2011-10-11 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kore nametooshort View Post
    Why should I be excited for swtor? I've started thinking more about it recently but I can't really find a way to become enthused with swtor over GW2. As far as I can tell, swtor will just be a mix of WoW and Dragon Age, neither of which are exceptional games imo anymore. I am obviously missing something (especially since this that was a gross generalisation/underestimation I'm sure), so can you please give me more reasons to be excited about, especially PVP.
    GW2 is probably going to be my MMO of choice but I've played the SWTOR beta this weekend and I'm really liking the choices and epic story mode that separates it from almost all MMO's. This beta changed me from not buying it and dismissing it as WoW with a Star Wars skin (even though that's a valid comparison) to wanting to buy it. While GW2 obliterates the typical MMO play style and format, SWTOR is a good evolution of the typical MMO model. That and fighting with lightsabers is cool.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2011-10-11 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why people continue to call SWTOR as WoW in space. I mean is it a hotkey based MMO, yes. Does it involve quests and raids (operations), yes. Does it involve the trinity, yes. That makes it a traditional hotkey based MMO...albeit in space. Personally the reason I'm stoked for it is that it's Star Wars being made by Bioware. I've loved Star Wars ever since I saw A New Hope back when I was five, and Bioware has made some of my favorite games of all time. My advice to you is that if you're looking for the next "jump in evolution" for MMOs (if you want to call it that) would be to try out GW2. If you want to experience a refinement of the traditional MMO look at SWTOR. However if you have enough money do what a few of my friends plan on doing (and what TB said to do) get and play both.

I mean if you're going to call TOR WoW in space, you can call WoW EQ in Azeroth....wait does that make SWTOR = EQ in space + a long time ago? (note this entire line is a joke, I will bludgeon you with a spork if you take it even remotely seriously)
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

For me I like the idea of playing a more futuristic type setting mmo.With the awesome music,multiple planets,getting your own starship,companions,and just the whole I am in a Star Wars universe vibe I can't wait to play the game.
    Then there is Guild Wars 2 which will go well when I feel like playing more of the fantasy type setting,with world vs world vs world pvp and the awesome dynamic events makes excited to play this game too.

One monthly subscription two awesome games,can't wait.
    I am constantly changing my sigs to show my support for both these MMO's
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachyveng View Post
    My advice to you is that if you're looking for the next "jump in evolution" for MMOs (if you want to call it that) would be to try out GW2. If you want to experience a refinement of the traditional MMO look at SWTOR. However if you have enough money do what a few of my friends plan on doing (and what TB said to do) get and play both.
    This is probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks.

I mean if you're going to call TOR WoW in space, you can call WoW EQ in Azeroth....wait does that make SWTOR = EQ in space + a long time ago? (note this entire line is a joke, I will bludgeon you with a spork if you take it even remotely seriously)
    Please don't. Sporks are ridiculous! It would be so undignified

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    there was already a thread just like this, go look at that one.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-TONS-of-hype
    Thanks, I'll take a look at that too.

As long as you consider it WoW in space, you will never be able to be excited over it. Try considering it to be its own game.

Everyone makes their own reason for doing things, if the game play of SWTOR doesn't excite you then the story driven quest lines might. I can't say for any one reason why you should be excited as everyone I have talked to has their own reasons for being excited to play this game. For me it's my dream of playing a Jedi and Smuggler or being a Sith Assassin, the actual game play doesn't bother me, I'm just looking forward to getting immersed in the awesome story telling of my character as s/he blasts their way through thousands of quests and hopefully meeting some new like minded folks along the way to make it more enjoyable in the end.

Not every game is for everyone, this may not be the game for you. If you want, try it when it comes out and judge for yourself.

I'm playing Sw:tor because I love biowares stories, the Star Wars IP, and the General flow of the MMO-type combat I've had in WoW and RIFT.

Also It just plain looks badass. though no other MMO's slated for the next 2 years intrigue me in the least, they all look terrible, apart from maybe Secret World.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zachyveng View Post
    (note this entire line is a joke, I will bludgeon you with a spork if you take it even remotely seriously)
    That whole line was epic...

Anyways, I believe this story to be simply amazing above any MMO I've ever seen. I get the whole "Holy moly! This game is awesome!" When I was playing the beta.
    (Cant play anymore now though... Afghanistan interwebs makes me cry...)

Well if you need a reason to be excited you need to take a step back and think a little.

1: Have you played the original KoTOR series? Have you played Bioware games in general?
    2: Do you like the Star Wars universe and lore?
    3: What interests you in games in general?

THose 3 are probably the main ones.

1: If the answer is yes and you enjoyed them, then you at least will like the singleplayer part of the mmo
    2: If the answer is yes, then this is a game worth playing.
    3: If your interest is story driven and in depth character customization in forms of alignments, and high quality solo play, with a 75% pve focus (pulled 75% out of my ass :P), then this is a game to be excited about.

What you wont get in this game is fast paced questing to get to endgame, probably not as pvp heavy (although I might be wrong in this, but Bioware are good at storytelling, PvP is relativly new to them), then you might find a better game elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Sangomah View Post
    What you wont get in this game is fast paced questing to get to endgame, probably not as pvp heavy (although I might be wrong in this, but Bioware are good at storytelling, PvP is relativly new to them), then you might find a better game elsewhere
    Much of the actual pvp is being headed up by Mythic people. I have heard a lot of good things about the pvp from convention goers (and nda breakers but w/e). PvP has never really been my focus so I havn't been keeping up on it but I do know that Mythic does know their stuff when it comes to pvp.

Mythic managed to make the abomination that is Warhammer pvp so I dont have high hopes I'm afraid :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sangomah View Post
    Mythic managed to make the abomination that is Warhammer pvp so I dont have high hopes I'm afraid :P
    Really? Personally I really liked the actual pvp gameplay in WAR. The things that I felt hurt the game weren't actually pvp gameplay, it was all the other things they had done which led to empty pvp lakes and pretty lackluster pve content. Bioware is handling all that stuff about the game. I'm just glad that we get Guard and taunt in pvp for tanks.

I was listening in on some friends that got into Beta over the weekend and the stories are pretty awesome it seems. I am actually pretty excited to get the game now for that reason. My guess is it will be a pretty refreshing experience for me since I haven't played many story driven games in a while. I think I will pick the character who's story I am most interested in rather than pick a toon because I think it will be good in PvP/PvE.

I hope to the dark emperor your right, but I still remember the aoe fest of the bright wizards *shudder* (prob sith inq in swtor if anything with their electro storm)