Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I read this review from Tomshardware and the bulldozer fails compared to the 2500k or 2600k. I've been waiting in hopes that the bulldozer destroys the sandybridge chips, guess I was wrong. Intel isn't releasing anything for a few months right?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Intel will have more things out before AMD gets more released. I believe Sandybridge-E (X79 chipset) and Ivybridge (1155 upgrade CPUs) should be out before whatever AMD has planned next. That's quite something for AMD to try and fight against.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    AMD are relying on gimmicks to sell a sub par product with the 1st gen dozer chips. They wont lose too much sleep over it though as there main ambition nowadays is the laptop/APU market which is a hell of a lot bigger than the gaming market. It is a shame that the next time Intel release main stream CPU's (Ivy not SB-E) they will bump the price by another 20% + over sandy bridge prices just off the back of these poor AMD CPU's not being competitive but the i5 2500k will still be a go to chip for people on a budget when that time comes as i dont believe the jump will be so huge to Ivy bridge <10%?

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    It is a shame that the next time Intel release main stream CPU's (Ivy not SB-E) they will bump the price by another 20% + over sandy bridge prices just off the back of these poor AMD CPU's not being competitive but the i5 2500k will still be a go to chip for people on a budget when that time comes as i dont believe the jump will be so huge to Ivy bridge <10%?
    People who claim this bullshit have their tinfoil hats glued on too tight. There aren't any sudden spikes in computer parts prices because of monopolies or bad market situations or such, only if there's problems in the supply chain.

Inte's CPUs have traditionally cost from about $60 to $320 from past decade or so with the exception of super high end like i7-990X right now, and even if AMD would die tomorrow, that's what Ivy Bridges would cost too. They are not stupid enough to risk another antitrust lawsuit for few extra bucks. If you have 100% market share, what's the point.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Being an amd supporter(not a fanboi) i was utterly disappointed, not because it looks like shit but because i cannot use it at its potential. Most of us being WoWers lough at the crappy performane of this chip. However i think AMD never intended this chip to be used for gaming(which in multi core games is excellent) but more of a home server/work station chip. You will have to admit the in video, media, development and multi core apps this chip is very competitive.

So

Pros:

Excellent multi thread capabilities
    cheaper than a 2600k
    Nice o/c
    AMD990FX boards are better value for money than intel

Cons:

Power consumption is close to hilarious
    abysmal single thread performance
    Shit for WoW

I still think the the BD has a lot of potential, considering the Phenom gen1 was pure utter indescribable shit and the gen 2 was more than decent, i am expecting the piledriver to be a very good cpu, maybe not as good as an ivy but probably good enough to create a healthy competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ptolemus View Post
    Being an amd supporter(not a fanboi) i was utterly disappointed, not because it looks like shit but because i cannot use it at its potential. Most of us being WoWers lough at the crappy performane of this chip. However i think AMD never intended this chip to be used for gaming(which in multi core games is excellent) but more of a home server/work station chip. You will have to admit the in video, media, development and multi core apps this chip is very competitive.

So

Pros:

Excellent multi thread capabilities
    cheaper than a 2600k
    Nice o/c
    AMD990FX boards are better value for money than intel

Cons:

Power consumption is close to hilarious
    abysmal single thread performance
    Shit for WoW

I still think the the BD has a lot of potential, considering the Phenom gen1 was pure utter indescribable shit and the gen 2 was more than decent, i am expecting the piledriver to be a very good cpu, maybe not as good as an ivy but probably good enough to create a healthy competition.
    They were aiming it to compete with the 2500K.... so your point is invalid. Please don't make me dig up all of the information on this... why is the price not workstation CPU price? Because it's aimed for gamers to be interested.... not workstation owners.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    People who claim this bullshit have their tinfoil hats glued on too tight. There aren't any sudden spikes in computer parts prices because of monopolies or bad market situations or such, only if there's problems in the supply chain.
    In my country prices for the 2500k/2600k have already gone up by over 10% since Bulldozer release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    In my country prices for the 2500k/2600k have already gone up by over 10% since Bulldozer release.
    They've stayed the same here in America... interesting.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    That is more likely the result of dollar/euro standings etc. (or someother valuta your using)

In other news, i read a couple of times, if you disable every second core in a module you get about 10-20% performance increase. (dunno if it was posted here already)
    Which could lead to some issues with adressing the second core, etc etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    That is more likely the result of dollar/euro standings etc. (or someother valuta your using)

In other news, i read a couple of times, if you disable every second core in a module you get about 10-20% performance increase. (dunno if it was posted here already)
    Which could lead to some issues with adressing the second core, etc etc
    Yes we've seen it. It is stupid and you should not have to do that to get more performance.... what's the point of this lolsupposed lol8core if you have to shut off x amount of cores to get any decent performance out of it? No point, it's stupid.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yes we've seen it. It is stupid and you should not have to do that to get more performance.... what's the point of this lolsupposed lol8core if you have to shut off x amount of cores to get any decent performance out of it? No point, it's stupid.
    It's not intentional. It's just not working properly. This will probably be fixed in Piledriver along with other improvements.
    And the CPU needs a windows scheduler which is aware of the architecture. Currently only Windows 8 has that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's not intentional. It's just not working properly. This will probably be fixed in Piledriver along with other improvements.
    And the CPU needs a windows scheduler which is aware of the architecture. Currently only Windows 8 has that.
    Fuzzykins is going to throw a fit when he sees what you've written here. :P
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Even when you disable every second core manually (essentially making each module 1 thread), the chip is still underperforming due to poor manufacturing.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Even when you disable every second core manually (essentially making each module 1 thread), the chip is still underperforming due to poor manufacturing.
    Enormous power consumption mostly. I guess they wanted higher clock speeds. The architecture is definitely capable but it's just too power hungry.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-10-14 at 10:38 AM.

Sandybridge-E is going to be overpriced and Ivy Bridge is at least a quarter or two away, so now it is safe to continue buying 2500Ks.

Deleted
    Actually it's not the chip being bad, it's the software/game not being properly optimised for how the chip works, etc it's brilliant and outperforming both the i5 and i7 in battlefield 3.
    AMD has also said there will be performance gains in windows 8, windows 7 is simply just not made for the bulldozer artitechture.
    But yeah it pulls alot of power, but maybe thats worth the price if software optimising helps as much as said.
    Last edited by mmoc100d0ca70e; 2011-10-14 at 12:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this is what AMD has to say in response on their blog:

source: http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/10/13...ake-on-amd-fx/
    "If you are running lightly threaded apps most of the time, then there are plenty of other solutions out there. But if you’re like me and use your desktop for high resolution gaming and want to tackle time intensive tasks with newer multi-threaded applications, the AMD FX processor won’t let you down."

High resolution gaming? Does he think gamers are stupid enough to believe that "benchmark" posted by AMD's marketing team?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    And this is what AMD has to say in response on their blog:

source: http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/10/13...ake-on-amd-fx/
    [/I]
    High resolution gaming? Does he think gamers are stupid enough to believe that "benchmark" posted by AMD's marketing team?
    Actually that benchmark is real, the 8150 outperforms i7 2600 in battlefield 3.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth1 View Post
    But yeah it pulls alot of power, but maybe thats worth the price if software optimising helps as much as said.
    In optimized situations its suggested a rough 5% advantage. Bear in mind that W8 should not bring improvements to those programs.

In unoptimized situations, I've seen over 20% deficits.

Thats just not worth it when you consider you'll probably be spending 20-30 dollars more on your power supply, quite likely additional money on case ventilation, and could impairing your GPU's peak overclocking ability (high case temps). BF3 itself is far more demanding on your GPU for most users at the time being - computer effort is better spent there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    In optimized situations its suggested a rough 5% advantage. Bear in mind that W8 should not bring improvements to those programs.

In unoptimized situations, I've seen over 20% deficits.

Thats just not worth it when you consider you'll probably be spending 20-30 dollars more on your power supply, quite likely additional money on case ventilation, and could impairing your GPU's peak overclocking ability (high case temps). BF3 itself is far more demanding on your GPU for most users at the time being - computer effort is better spent there.
    5% is enough to get me going with it instead if i were to buy a new computer. (But currently i own a 2500k)
    People into peak overclocks would properly have some serious cooling for both the gpu and cpu, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

But you got strong points, i just really want AMD back in the battle