Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Having trouble deciding what to play.

I'm having real trouble deciding what to play.

On the one hand, i'm really pushing towards Bounty Hunter, because of Boba Fett, and they look like a great class to play.

On the other hand, i'm considering playing on the Republic side, to be a 'good guy', and actually be able to go onto coruscant, however i'm not sure what class, and Troppers don't really interest me.

What's your opinion?

I suppose there is one upside to my dilemma!
    "Plus you have a fun perk as a mercenary out for coin; the Bounty Hunter, according to Daniel Erickson - Star Wars: The Old Republic's Lead Writer - is the only class in the game that will be able to take on and perform missions for both the Empire and the Republic. There are potential repercussions to this, but it's a very interesting mechanic. Just be careful who you work for - money isn't everything."
    http://www.curse.com/articles/swtor-en-news/950545.aspx

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KamekaziKoala View Post
    I'm having real trouble deciding what to play.

On the one hand, i'm really pushing towards Bounty Hunter, because of Boba Fett, and they look like a great class to play.

On the other hand, i'm considering playing on the Republic side, to be a 'good guy', and actually be able to go onto coruscant, however i'm not sure what class, and Troppers don't really interest me.

What's your opinion?

I suppose there is one upside to my dilemma!
    "Plus you have a fun perk as a mercenary out for coin; the Bounty Hunter, according to Daniel Erickson - Star Wars: The Old Republic's Lead Writer - is the only class in the game that will be able to take on and perform missions for both the Empire and the Republic. There are potential repercussions to this, but it's a very interesting mechanic. Just be careful who you work for - money isn't everything."
    http://www.curse.com/articles/swtor-en-news/950545.aspx
    Well, that's not a confirmed quote, though I'm not calling Kody a liar. Things change. The most common thought is that some Republic NPCs will be about, and the BH will be able to take quests from them, while the other classes can't. They certainly cannot just do regular Republic world quests though.

As for what class to play, I say try both. =)

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Thanks for the quick response, clarified the quote for me!

10+ Year Old Account
    They say each class has a completely unique story and experience. If that's true, why not play them all?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I plan to try and play them all too, but alas hard to decide which one first. If all else fails just roll dice? lol

Figure out the role you have liked in games and then search for the class that has a role like that. That would be my suggestion!

Without breaking the NDA, is there any information on how many characters you can have to an account? Like on WoW it is 10 per server, 50 per account, and used to be no having horde and alliance on the same server. Pretty much all classes interest me and for many of them both advanced classes sound interesting.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    from what I remember said enough for one of each class, so 8 I believe. Dunno if they have the restrictions for pvp servers ect. to not play the other side or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely 8 per server, and the total is still unknown. YOu can have both factions on the same server.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm having a hard time deciding to. I was in the beta so I got an idea of how everything felt, but tbh I could use another weekend to decide for sure. I'm likely gonna play with a couple of friends in their friends guild. Unfortunately, I found out earlier they still are split between factions. Depending on where the side I will either play jedi knight or smuggler for the Republic. If they choose the Empire I'll likely play either the sith warrior or bounty hunter. It's kinda weird that even though the classes are a "mirror image" of each other depending on side, some things just don't look as cool.

no trooper? the blasphemy! all kidding aside, if you want to be republic, got smuggler I say, I always try to get people who are leaning on the fence to go non force user, just because I figure there will be a lot more come launch then any poll has shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    no trooper? the blasphemy! all kidding aside, if you want to be republic, got smuggler I say, I always try to get people who are leaning on the fence to go non force user, just because I figure there will be a lot more come launch then any poll has shown.
    Yeah I sometimes wonder if it's going to be three thousand magical ninjas with laser swords and one guy in the back plinking away with a blaster rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    Yeah I sometimes wonder if it's going to be three thousand magical ninjas with laser swords and one guy in the back plinking away with a blaster rifle.
    Whatever, it just makes those of us who don't want to join the lightsaber-fests that much cooler.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I say just roll a D8 on it =P

Deleted
    I have the exact same problem. I mostly lean towards Empire and Bounty Hunter but still I think hand cannons are amazing. I like both SI and JC, and the kick in the nuts from smugglers is just awesome! In the end I'm gonna play all classes but for now, is hard to decide what to roll for main

Bounty Hunter is my choice for main but boy the SI is making my choice very hard at the moment, and cant decide wether to have all 8 classes on a server or have 2 of each of the Empire classes and take them DS+LS and different ACs >.<

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    And what about the people who plink away with the blaster pistols, eh?

I honestly thought that Bounty Hunters would outnumber Jedi at one point from the way the community seemed to be leaning. However if you have any issue deciding what to play, then just think about what sort of character you want. I just want to play a Jedi Knight cause they can be Miraluka, so that was my selling point. Maybe you'd rather be a Chiss, or a use a pistol, or maybe a rifle... even the smallest things can affect choice and engagement.
    "Every time I see that commercial for this movie I laugh."
    "Which one?"
    "The one with the vegetarian bedazzled vampires."

Basic MMO-dev rules and the Law of Badass dictate that the dude with the rifle will be one overpowered @£$@&%¤#.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well first off, decide what role you prefer (tank/dps/healing), then you can narrow it further by if you prefer magic (force) or physical damage. Then factor in if you like melee or ranged characters.

I'll likely go healing, just deciding between SI (Sorc/Corruption), BH (Merc/Bodygaurd), or IA (Operative/Medic).

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very likely going Bounty Hunter myself, the trailer pretty much won me over. I was leaning more towards Assassin Inquisitor before. Who knows, I might change my mind again before the game's out. Or I get into beta. =/