Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I dont mind them for asthetics but I dont want them as a speed booster. The point is to not feel constrained by travle time, you should always be haveing fun or at most haveing to walk to the other side of the room to have that fun your looking for. If they add mounts and they boost speed then you will always feel slower if your not mounted makeing them feel manditory. We've seen the effect in wow. Once you've tasted your first mount or movement speed increase normal run speed seems to take forever to get there, once you have an epic mount a normal 60% one feels slow, and so on for flying mounts. Feeling like your going slow when you could be going fast is always a drag hence why I'd rather they didnt start down that slope with speed enhancing mounts and the like. If they want us traveling at a particular speed I'd rather we did that all the time instead of only going that speed when mounted and feeling slow the rest of the time.
    I think I see where you're coming from, but I don't think I agree. First of all, I don't really see why adding mounts is a bad thing if the point is to not feel constrained by travel time. Running will always feel slow to me because faster modes of transportation are commonplace - not just in MMOs but in life (horses, cars, bikes, etc). Even if we had the equivalent of waypoints irl, I'd still prefer to bike to a nearby location rather than walk. But I wouldn't take a jet from my house to my work that's only 5 miles away, just like I didn't hop on my epic flyer to go from the bank to the AH in WoW. For that commute I would simply run. As another example, if I was touring Yellowstone for the first time, wouldn't want to walk across the entire thing but I also wouldn't want to teleport to just a few locations. I would prefer to drive (or more accurately, I would prefer someone to drive me) with a few stops along the way to walk around.

Mounts are pretty terrible in most games, give me waypoints any day of the week.

If mounts were put in correctly I wouldn't mind having them. AoC is on the right track with their mount system but I'd like to see it even better implemented. Mounts like they have in WoW or Rift are absolutely retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want mounts. And I was a mount collector in WoW (just a few shy of my Dragonhawk). They're not really all that cool and I HATED that they just popped up out of no where.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalize View Post
    I would rather have ground mounts as they arent immersion breaking, also i thibk that instant travel make the world seem so small(only what i think it would feel like).... But i will say that i dont like mounts in pvp so hmmm
    Yes.. because you know... reaching around and pulling that horse out of your ass hole and riding into the sunset isn't as immersion breaking as using an enchanted map to teleport to a town oh wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without thinking too much about it, I think one way to solve the 'popping up out of nowhere' issue could be stables at capital cities and/or major towns. I think it might be cool if players could collect mounts and then set like 5 to show up at your stables. You would have to actually mount and unmount them and they would stay around if you dismounted them out in the world. Maybe you could even tie them up to a tree or something. Just thinking with my fingers...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MalazanFan View Post
    Without thinking too much about it, I think one way to solve the 'popping up out of nowhere' issue could be stables at capital cities and/or major towns. I think it might be cool if players could collect mounts and then set like 5 to show up at your stables. You would have to actually mount and unmount them and they would stay around if you dismounted them out in the world. Maybe you could even tie them up to a tree or something. Just thinking with my fingers...
    I would like to see mounts added as a sort of environmental weapon, where you could ride around on it and your first 5 skills would change to fit the mount you're on, and then once you dismount it follows you, but once it dies, it's dead, you have to go buy a new one with your karma, i'd also assume that you'd be able to buy one at each karma vendor so like ever city...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Perhaps something like what Oblivion or Assassins Creed had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Perhaps something like what Oblivion or Assassins Creed had.
    With better controls....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    With better controls....
    lol i hope so... or no one would ever want to lay a finger on a mount xD

AC mounts weren't that bad with their controls, Oblivion was pretty terrible though, I'll give you that

I think I see where you're coming from, but I don't think I agree. First of all, I don't really see why adding mounts is a bad thing if the point is to not feel constrained by travel time. Running will always feel slow to me because faster modes of transportation are commonplace - not just in MMOs but in life (horses, cars, bikes, etc). Even if we had the equivalent of waypoints irl, I'd still prefer to bike to a nearby location rather than walk. But I wouldn't take a jet from my house to my work that's only 5 miles away, just like I didn't hop on my epic flyer to go from the bank to the AH in WoW. For that commute I would simply run. As another example, if I was touring Yellowstone for the first time, wouldn't want to walk across the entire thing but I also wouldn't want to teleport to just a few locations. I would prefer to drive (or more accurately, I would prefer someone to drive me) with a few stops along the way to walk around.
    The bank to AH comment made me laugh because I actualy do fly between the two but my mains a druid. "Running will always feel slow to me because faster modes of transportation are commonplace" And the fact that they are common place is exactly why it feels slow. If runing is the fastest common mode of travle for covering short distances and is considered normal it would not feel slow. It only becomes slow when you start adding modes of travle that are faster but are still reasonable to use over short distances. Driveing a pickup truck would feel slow to a fighter jock but they'd still use it to get to the store because its more reasonable to do so. Think back to your very first day playing wow. Did you feel that you were runing too slow right out the gate or did it start when speed boosting mechanics became avalible to you? For myself I didnt even notice the speed till I got travle form and from then on runing in caster always felt slow. For another question if tomarow bliz anounced that ground mounts no longer provided a speed boost and instead everybody ran at epic mount speed would you still feel runing was too slow? would you feel the need to mount up anyway in no fly areas? It would sure make runing back through a dungeon that does not alow mounting alot more pleasnt.

The problem with mounts in most games is they use them as a reward for those people that have played longer or just have access to more money. If they wanted everybody traveling at mounted speed out the gate then you would start with the mount or just flat out run that fast to begin with. Instead they slow down the player movement rate so they have that carrot to dangle in front of players to keep you playing longer so you can get your faster speed goodie. Why should new players be punished for being new by being forced to move slower? Why must we all be punished by that slower speed when we are forced to dismount? That is a paradigm among current day MMO's that wow has helped ingrain in our minds as normal. I for one am glad Anet wants to break that paradigm among others and let us move at a comfortably fast pace without outdated mounted mechanics and if thats still not fast enough we can teleport to a discovered waypoint closer to our destination.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Yes.. because you know... reaching around and pulling that horse out of your ass hole and riding into the sunset isn't as immersion breaking as using an enchanted map to teleport to a town oh wait....
    its magic bag ofc it can fit an elephant just like it can fit e.g. 100 swords

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalize View Post
    its magic bag ofc it can fit an elephant just like it can fit e.g. 100 swords
    And yet lore-explained waypoints and portals are immersion breaking for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    And yet lore-explained waypoints and portals are immersion breaking for you?
    link to lore behind waypoints if you would, if its explained then thats nice atleast

10+ Year Old Account
    The bank to AH comment made me laugh because I actualy do fly between the two but my mains a druid.
    Haha. My initial reply started out with how having a slight increase in run speed (+50% maybe) and a cast time would keep people running in certain situations, but that didn't really tie in with my ultimate point.

"Running will always feel slow to me because faster modes of transportation are commonplace" And the fact that they are common place is exactly why it feels slow. If runing is the fastest common mode of travle for covering short distances and is considered normal it would not feel slow. It only becomes slow when you start adding modes of travle that are faster but are still reasonable to use over short distances. Driveing a pickup truck would feel slow to a fighter jock but they'd still use it to get to the store because its more reasonable to do so. Think back to your very first day playing wow. Did you feel that you were runing too slow right out the gate or did it start when speed boosting mechanics became avalible to you?
    Well, there are several factors that play into this. It didn't feel slow on my first day playing WoW, but I was only running around doing the first few orc quests. Also, the only other MMO I had played at the time was FFXI which didn't have personal mounts. It was also within a few days of launch so I wasn't aware that players got personal mounts. However, running did feel slow the first time I had to traverse the Barrens. I definitely was wishing for a quicker way.

For myself I didnt even notice the speed till I got travle form and from then on runing in caster always felt slow. For another question if tomarow bliz anounced that ground mounts no longer provided a speed boost and instead everybody ran at epic mount speed [b]would you still feel runing was too slow?[/]b would you feel the need to mount up anyway in no fly areas? It would sure make runing back through a dungeon that does not alow mounting alot more pleasnt.
    No, I would think running was too fast. I would still mount up though. But mainly just to show off

The problem with mounts in most games is they use them as a reward for those people that have played longer or just have access to more money. If they wanted everybody traveling at mounted speed out the gate then you would start with the mount or just flat out run that fast to begin with. Instead they slow down the player movement rate so they have that carrot to dangle in front of players to keep you playing longer so you can get your faster speed goodie. Why should new players be punished for being new by being forced to move slower? Why must we all be punished by that slower speed when we are forced to dismount? That is a paradigm among current day MMO's that wow has helped ingrain in our minds as normal. I for one am glad Anet wants to break that paradigm among others and let us move at a comfortably fast pace without outdated mounted mechanics and if thats still not fast enough we can teleport to a discovered waypoint closer to our destination.
    Of course I want well implemented mounts. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy the game

Waypoints are a great mechanic, and are better than flight paths by leaps and bounds. That said, I still want to see ground mounts in the game, but only for the aesthetics. Let me feel elitist and AFK in Lion's Arch among the peons that could not obtain such an amazing object of prestige!

I dont know if they were done like wow ground mounts can be prety damn immersion breaking in and of themselves. Have you ever wondered where we pull those things out of?
    Actually, it's merely a convenience that your mount becomes invisible when you get off it... If your mount followed you around in areas where you weren't allowed to mount, it would just get in the way of your owner's camera : )

I'm also quite curious what the general dislike for mounts, or the specific dislike for flying mounts is all about...

-Alamar

Quote Originally Posted by anathama View Post
    I was a bit dismayed when I saw they would be adding this feature to Guild Wars 2, since I remember strongly disliking this from my short stint in the first Guild Wars.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the waypoints in Guild Wars basically just port your character around the map and eliminate a lot of the running. While this may sound like a great time-saver, I recall that they had them at very short intervals from each other. So instead of running to that town you can see not far in the horizon, you just click on your map and you're there.

Doesn't this sort of go against the immersion/scale of the world-type atmosphere they were aiming for? Like the same reason they decided against adding flying mounts?
    Haven't read the other pages, but here is my response:

Choice is everything (just ask Colin J!). Forcing people that don't want to trek through the areas where they will get scaled down to get to the city where their friends are is far less cool than presenting an option, so that those that wish to walk everywhere can do so, and those who do not, do not have to.

Do not worry about other peoples' immersion, worry about yours. Walk everywhere if you choose!
    Diablo IV is the best MMORPG Blizzard has ever made!

The first time I played a new xpac in WoW flight paths were pretty awesome. About the 2nd time I needed to make my way to BWD I pretty much wished there was a instant port or a inn I could save my hearth to.

Playing Rift I was totally not having a good time running from place to place even with mounts. I usually ported everywhere and you know I really didn't notice not having FP at all. In fact there were places I had to get to via mount that didn't have a port and it was always like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..".

Bottom line I feel immersion the first time I fly through a place but after that I don't feel immersed at all. I do want an option to be able to zoom through the lands and cities like a bird that is repeatable but it doesn't have to relate to travel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    I'm also quite curious what the general dislike for mounts, or the specific dislike for flying mounts is all about...

-Alamar
    It comes from two things:

1) Some people get overly defensive about Guild Wars 2 for some reason, and everything the game does is an act of perfection for them. Guild Wars 2 is perfect. Guild Wars 2 will not feature mounts. Ergo, having no mounts is perfect.

2) Mounts are okay in games designed for mounts. Guild Wars 2 has been created from the ground up to not feature mounts. Adding mounts would be completely unnecessary because of that. Or if they added mounts, they'd probably remove a couple of the waypoints, or otherwise the mounts have no use, and waypoints are, to a lot of people preferably over mounts.
    Resurrected Holy Priest