Page 1 of 27
... LastLast

[Priest] Fix My DPS Thread

Purpose of this thread:

- To assist people who have made a considered effort into their damage yet are struggling to meet their expected numbers. If you have exhausted other avenues and don't know what to do for further improvement this is the thread for you.
    - To allow experienced players to share their oozing nuggets of wisdom with those eager to learn. Everyone who has a solution to share is welcome to contribute.
    - To discuss alternate approaches to ability usage or gearing, just make sure you have good sources of information before making claims. If you want to suggest something that might be controversial that is fine, just make sure you have information or can link to information that will back up your claims.
    - Remember when responding to people that they are looking for help and keeping your advice phrased respectfully would be appreciated

Before Posting:

- Make sure you've read the relevant sticky guide Priest PvE Shadow Guide by Kilee and understand the basics of preparing your spec. This thread isn't for teaching you how to gem, glyph, enchant correctly or of the basics of stat priority and rotation usage.
    - It also wouldn't hurt for you to read Ariadne's Simple Guide to Improving DPS since most of the time the reasons for low dps are covered in that post.

What to Post:

- General gear level and expectations in raids. Don't have people trawl armorys and parses for these details when they can be given up front.
    - Your problem in as much detail as is possible. Is it specific to an individual boss? in particular phases or situations? (AoE, Multi-dotting, Execute phase, movement, etc.) or just a general patchwerk style low dps problem? The more detail you can give the more helpful answers we can provide.
    - Any resources you have which can detail the problem are useful. World of Logs parses links are especially helpful.

Please post this template at the top of your post, and fill in the details you have. Make sure you post behind the [/B] tags.

HTML Code:
    [B]Item Level[/B]
    [B]Expectations:[/B]
    [B]Armory Link:[/B]
    [B]Worldoflogs Link:[/B]

What Not to Post:

- A question that is blatantly answered in the stickied guide.
    - Stealth bragging damage logs.
    - "How to reforge" questions. Use Mr. Robot or Wowreforge instead, or the appropriate stickies found in this forum.
    - "Is Gear A > Gear B?" queries those are best simulated using SimC or CharDev on your own character to find a personal solution. Situational gearing such as trinkets for specific bosses or the merits of tier bonuses are fine to ask.

Simple guide to using Mr. Robot

- Click the "Pick a Charecter" button and enter your Character name and realm.
    - Either use the default state weights if you like those or if you want to go to the "Stat Weight Editor" tab on the bottom right of the page.
    - For Hit/Spirit make sure whatever value you put in will reflect what you want your hit rating to be. For example if you don't want to lose Int and SP but are willing to trade Haste for hit make sure the value you put for Hit and Spirit is lower than Int/SP but higher/equal to Haste. Or if you don't want to trade Haste for hit make sure the value for Hit/Spirit you put in is less than Haste.
    - If after a certain amount of Haste you want to start stacking a different stat in the "soft cap" box enter the percentage in decimal form (so 30% would be 0.30) and then in the "soft-capped weight" box enter the weight you want Haste to have after that point (so if you want to stack Mastery after that point set the value to just less than what Mastery is).
    - Click "Optimize" and see what Mr. Robot recommends.

All those examples are just examples to illustrate how to make Mr. Robot work for you, and not recommendations.

(If someone wants to PM me a short explanation of how to get the most out of wowreforge pm it to me and I'll add it)
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-08-28 at 02:40 AM.

Guess I'll give this a shot

388ish
    Expections: be top dps
    armory link: Can't link, I'm paskgotheals on us whisperwind http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...heals/advanced
    Worldoflogs Link: our logs are public - Rocket surgery on US whisperwind http://worldoflogs.com/reports/kuiwh...?s=4710&e=4969

When it comes to patchwork style fights I'm always behind. I really feel like I should be doing more dps but I literally can't figure it out. I am 99% sure I'm doing everything correct but my dps still seems low :/. Especially on baleroc the patchwork fight of firelands. Thanks for any help you can give!
    Last edited by Arlee; 2011-10-17 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added in the links

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paskgotsheal View Post

388ish
    Expections: be top dps
    armory link: Can't link, I'm paskgotheals on us whisperwind
    Worldoflogs Link: our logs are public - Rocket surgery on US whisperwind

When it comes to patchwork style fights I'm always behind. I really feel like I should be doing more dps but I literally can't figure it out. I am 99% sure I'm doing everything correct but my dps still seems low :/. Especially on baleroc the patchwork fight of firelands. Thanks for any help you can give!
    Took at look at logs and gear and really all I can pick out is your dots have low 90% uptime maybe push that to around 98% also empowered shadow uptime is 80% this can be rng fail or whatever so wont really go into it, and you are missing DI which is around 1-2k dps increase at your gear level which i think is the biggest culprit.

This taken from your latest Baleroc kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavers View Post
    Took at look at logs and gear and really all I can pick out is your dots have low 90% uptime maybe push that to around 98% also empowered shadow uptime is 80% this can be rng fail or whatever so wont really go into it, and you are missing DI which is around 1-2k dps increase at your gear level which i think is the biggest culprit.

This taken from your latest Baleroc kill.

Yeah no lock sucks but what can you do...I think upholds are low due to dispersing the shards but I'm not sure

Yeah no lock sucks but what can you do...I think upholds are low due to dispersing the shards but I'm not sure
    Looked at it really quick, Your dot uptime at the begining of the fight (when you disperse) is actually better then the rest of the fight. You're missing some re-applies somewhere which are hurting you.

For your opener, it looks like you are starting with VT / DP on the pull, i really suggest doing VT / SWP instead (SWP automatically picks up spellpower buffs when refreshed with mindflay, where as you'd have to recast DP.)

Typically i open VT / SWP, then Shadowfiend and then a quick flay. If i get an orb then great i'll mindblast, if not i'll DP then mindblast and continue flaying for the orb.

Edit: You are also missing your shoulder enchant on the heroic piece you got a couple of days ago, not sure if you know about that
    Last edited by hikamiro; 2011-10-17 at 03:36 PM. Reason: minor typos

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're being suckered into constantly dispersing on shards and it's causing your dots to fall off you need to keep that in mind a few GCDs before you hit dispersion. But hitting dispersion once in a fight isn't going to make any large difference in uptime so your claim here I'll have to say is false.

Looking at your logs i see about 95% for VT and DP while SWP is up at 98.5% on Baleroc so there's a few percentage points to work towards.

Being the curious person I am, I went to your H Rag kill and noticed a much larger difference in that fight than I feel is reasonable. I noticed that your VT in that fight was @ about 70% uptime for the fight. Granted with the 3 transitions keeping all your dots active 100% of the time is impossible, but 85% is totally possible and so I'd have to say in general keeping your dots rolling should be a higher priority for your personal dps increase.

Learning to keep track of them better and aim towards 100% uptime where possible is what will take you to that next step (or finishing your staff as from looking at our other spriest the dps increase was about 7k pre to post legendary).

Quote Originally Posted by allaiva View Post
    If you're being suckered into constantly dispersing on shards and it's causing your dots to fall off you need to keep that in mind a few GCDs before you hit dispersion. But hitting dispersion once in a fight isn't going to make any large difference in uptime so your claim here I'll have to say is false.

Looking at your logs i see about 95% for VT and DP while SWP is up at 98.5% on Baleroc so there's a few percentage points to work towards.

Being the curious person I am, I went to your H Rag kill and noticed a much larger difference in that fight than I feel is reasonable. I noticed that your VT in that fight was @ about 70% uptime for the fight. Granted with the 3 transitions keeping all your dots active 100% of the time is impossible, but 85% is totally possible and so I'd have to say in general keeping your dots rolling should be a higher priority for your personal dps increase.

Learning to keep track of them better and aim towards 100% uptime where possible is what will take you to that next step (or finishing your staff as from looking at our other spriest the dps increase was about 7k pre to post legendary).

Not to worried about multi dot fights as I ususally preform fairly well in those...the thing with H rag is I barely dps at all in p2 - I stop in phase one so the trap can land before we push, during all the add phases I don't VT until I'm on the scions and then in p3 my main focus is the meteor so everyone else gets to pew pew while I gotta yell and tell people what to do. Basically there's a LOT more to h rag then dps when you're the raid leader - not so much on baleroc. But damn 7k from the staff seems excessive. I get it tomorrow so I guess I'll see !

---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    Looked at it really quick, Your dot uptime at the begining of the fight (when you disperse) is actually better then the rest of the fight. You're missing some re-applies somewhere which are hurting you.

For your opener, it looks like you are starting with VT / DP on the pull, i really suggest doing VT / SWP instead (SWP automatically picks up spellpower buffs when refreshed with mindflay, where as you'd have to recast DP.)

Typically i open VT / SWP, then Shadowfiend and then a quick flay. If i get an orb then great i'll mindblast, if not i'll DP then mindblast and continue flaying for the orb.

Edit: You are also missing your shoulder enchant on the heroic piece you got a couple of days ago, not sure if you know about that
    Wow I'm fucking bad. Someone gkick me

---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 05:23 PM ----------

K so looking at the week before my uptime was much better which made me curious (DPS was still low though..) I think my uptime on VT was low this past week bc I got countdown and had to run the whole way across the room . I usually never let it fall off. Here's the week before

http://w ww.worldoflogs.com/reports/sgij0wf2o1tg2dxe/details/4/?s=3332&e=3604

Deleted
    It feels like this thread won't be that successful. The problem is that it requires the one asking for help to put a lot of effort in his post. The thing with "Rate the Priest Above Me" was to get a quick check on how good your gear, gemming, talents were without putting any effort in. It was also a tool for some people to boost their ego with. If you want more help, I think a new thread is totally acceptable if you put enough effort in to the post and actually provide data we can work with.
    Last edited by mmoc9f3c8526e6; 2011-10-18 at 01:39 PM.

And it quickly did not function very well as a rate the person above thread. People wanted to help other people without having to leave their info too, and sometime people looking for help really couldn't help the person above them. Yes this does require more of the person asking in that we want the person to be able to say what they think the problem might be; but it also should result in better feedback overall. We don't need a "I want to stroke my epeen" threads here honestly.

Also, if anyone else has questions/comments/concerns about this thread please PM directly. Extraneous posts will be deleted to help keep this clean an straight forward.

seekin advice

greetings.

i'm recently playing as shadow (i was holy/disc). i'm 6/7 normal atm i've healing. but i wanna do dps also. at this momment im doing in average 14-16 dps. i know its pretty subpar according to my ilvl. thats why i'm asking advice in any aspect. like gems, chants, refroge and prioity casts/rotation.

sorry if my english is not good enought. i'm not a native english speaker.

http://us.battle.net/wow/es/characte...u%C3%B3/simple
    Last edited by albatross1; 2011-10-18 at 04:22 AM. Reason: forgot character's armory page

You do have some missing Enchants. Helm, +60 int +35 crit, Cloak +50 Int(though I would drop Herbalism for Tailoring for the better Tailoring enchant), Leg Enchant, +95 int +55 spirit.

For Gems. Chest: +40 Int in the red, +20 int +20 Spirit in the blue. Belt: +20 int +20 Spirit in the blue, +40 intellect in the other. Legs: +20 int +20 Haste in both slots. Boots: +40 int.

Reforge all Crit to spirit to reach hit cap, after that reforge Crit and Mastery to Haste.

As far as general gearing goes, everything that has Haste on it, you are going to want.

As far as casts/rotation I would suggest checking out the Shadow Priest "How-To" thread here:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ide-(by-Kilee)
    Last edited by Bluesparks75; 2011-10-18 at 05:19 AM.

Since we are around the same gear level, have similar kill times on Balerock, and no locks in our raids, this might be helpful:

raidbots DOT com /comparebot/4e9d14d94b1cfb566d0008f3#summary

Quote Originally Posted by blz View Post
    Since we are around the same gear level, have similar kill times on Balerock, and no locks in our raids, this might be helpful:

raidbots DOT com /comparebot/4e9d14d94b1cfb566d0008f3#summary
    Doesn't really help, most of, if not all of our stuff is comparable...the only big difference i see is that i had less crits then you by a significant amount and my empowered shadows uptime was lower, but that was just bad orb RNG on my part. =\ I don't see how that can make a 3k dps difference /sigh

---------- Post added 2011-10-18 at 11:47 AM ----------

Well it looks like the majority came off me not critting on mind blast, you had a 9% higher crit rate, which in turn made it a 2k dps increase...kinda stupid

Deleted
    Item Level 375
    Expectations: Staying out of the bottom
    Armory Link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ak/Asyi/simple
    Worldoflogs Link: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t...=12737&e=13084

We are now starting Rag HC and I would like to keep myself from the bottom of the table. I am currently taking traps as I am the lowest dps who can (don’t have a prot warrior)

Is there anything I can do to boost my dps on stand still bosses like this one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by T Man View Post
    Item Level 375

We are now starting Rag HC and I would like to keep myself from the bottom of the table. I am currently taking traps as I am the lowest dps who can (don’t have a prot warrior)

Hi T Man

Gearing wise everything is perfect statwise just replace that crappy alchemist stone and never ever reforge haste into anything not even hit it isnt worth it go reforge them back, and looking at your Baleroc kill you link your VT uptime is pretty terrible and DP could also be better Empowered shadows at 90% thats acceptable due to RNG.

Not getting DI cause your other 2 spriests are isn't going to help and get hunters or locks to get traps they don't need to be flown in the air or levitate back down wasting more time. All i can really say is press your buttons harder and don't miss GCDs or be slow on them since we have the same timed kills within 20secs and im getting quite a few more mind flays off over you.

If you need any extra advice just PM me.

Deleted
    Item Level 375

You don't keep your DoTs up and you don't Mind Blast on cooldown. This is the most common mistake of all and the one every priest struggling with DPS should focus on. Always use DP when moving. DP should never have low uptime due to this. Use DP when you feel like it. You don't need to wait until it is 1 second left of it to refresh it. Just refresh it when you feel like it while still Mind Blasting on cooldown and keeping your VT up.

Looking at the log, your VT should be around 98% uptime or above. same for the other DoTs. You did 25 Mind Blasts over 5:46 minutes. It is not too shabby but you can do better. Compare this with my 26 Mind Blasts over 4:19 minutes.

A shadow priest taking traps is really sub optimal. Warlocks, Mages, Hunters are a few classes who are much better for the job and they don't lose that much DPS.
    Last edited by mmoc9f3c8526e6; 2011-10-18 at 01:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    You don't keep your DoTs up and you don't Mind Blast on cooldown. This is the most common mistake of all and the one every priest struggling with DPS should focus on. Always use DP when moving. DP should never have low uptime due to this. Use DP when you feel like it. You don't need to wait until it is 1 second left of it to refresh it. Just refresh it when you feel like it while still Mind Blasting on cooldown and keeping your VT up.

Looking at the log, your VT should be around 98% uptime or above. same for the other DoTs. You did 25 Mind Blasts over 5:46 minutes. It is not too shabby but you can do better. Compare this with my 26 Mind Blasts over 4:19 minutes.

A shadow priest taking traps is really sub optimal. Warlocks, Mages, Hunters are a few classes who are much better for the job and they don't lose that much DPS.
    Hey Ariadne mind checking over a few things with me.

Do you believe MB on cd ignoring how many orbs you have is the best dps, and also what do you believe the best opener to be atm with 4set ofc.

Thanks

thank you so much, ill start to work on them tonight

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavers View Post
    Hi T Man

Gearing wise everything is perfect statwise just replace that crappy alchemist stone and never ever reforge haste into anything not even hit it isnt worth it go reforge them back, and looking at your Baleroc kill you link your VT uptime is pretty terrible and DP could also be better Empowered shadows at 90% thats acceptable due to RNG.

Not getting DI cause your other 2 spriests are isn't going to help and get hunters or locks to get traps they don't need to be flown in the air or levitate back down wasting more time. All i can really say is press your buttons harder and don't miss GCDs or be slow on them since we have the same timed kills within 20secs and im getting quite a few more mind flays off over you.

If you need any extra advice just PM me.
    Thanks for the reply, The only point I did need help on was haste cap and then to mastery.

Get 17% hit >> 2589 haste >> Mastery

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t124358-...e_4_2_updated/
    Taken from EJ
    Vampiric Touch
    Without Dark Intent
    With Dark Intent

Extra Ticks % Rating Goblin Extra Ticks % Rating Goblin
    1 1.7% 218 90 1 0% 0 0
    2 20.2% 2589 2437 2 16.7% 2141 1993
    3 38.7% 4951 4776 3 34.6% 4431 4264
    4 57.2% 7326 7127 4 52.6% 6740 6546
    5 75.7% 9698 9476 5 70.6% 9043 8827
    Devouring Plague
    Without Dark Intent
    With Dark Intent

1 0% 0 0 1 0% 0 0
    2 9.8% 1255 1115 2 6.6% 845 710
    3 21.4% 2737 2583 3 17.8% 2284 2135
    4 32.9% 4220 4051 4 29.1% 3724 3560
    5 44.4% 5691 5508 5 40.2% 5152 4975
    6 56.1% 7179 6981 6 51.5% 6597 6405

What is the benefit from stacking more haste after 2589 if you can not reach 2737? Or should you reforge that extra haste into mastery until you can get to 2737?

Thanks again for the advice, I think my biggest problem was casting MF after the 3rd tick and not the 2nd.
    Last edited by mmocd85d679b36; 2011-10-18 at 02:15 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply, The only point I did need help on was haste cap and then to mastery.

Get 17% hit >> 2589 haste >> Mastery

http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t124358-...e_4_2_updated/
    Taken from EJ
    Vampiric Touch
    Without Dark Intent
    With Dark Intent

1 1.7% 218 90 1 0% 0 0
    2 20.2% 2589 2437 2 16.7% 2141 1993
    3 38.7% 4951 4776 3 34.6% 4431 4264
    4 57.2% 7326 7127 4 52.6% 6740 6546
    5 75.7% 9698 9476 5 70.6% 9043 8827
    Devouring Plague
    Without Dark Intent
    With Dark Intent

1 0% 0 0 1 0% 0 0
    2 9.8% 1255 1115 2 6.6% 845 710
    3 21.4% 2737 2583 3 17.8% 2284 2135
    4 32.9% 4220 4051 4 29.1% 3724 3560
    5 44.4% 5691 5508 5 40.2% 5152 4975
    6 56.1% 7179 6981 6 51.5% 6597 6405

What is the benefit from stacking more haste after 2589 if you can not reach 2737? Or should you reforge that extra haste into mastery until you can get to 2737?

Thanks again for the advice, I think my biggest problem was casting MF after the 3rd tick and not the 2nd.
    Hey again T Man haste is your best stat after the extra VT tick up untill about 3k haste its in a clear lead.