Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Ok I finally caved in to the one part that I had never experienced for myself - sound.

So after literally 3 weeks of in-depth research and several questions with the audiophile community, I have decided to take my sound setup to a whole new level This will cost me a ton and I haven't made the decision lightly, but I REALLY like my music, have a ton of FLAC and 320kbps files and I want to goddamn HEAR them with the soundstage and beauty of bass, mids and highs and want to get immersed into them.

snip

Oh and this will also kick ass in gaming - not as much as a Xi-Fi card, I know, but it'll still be 50,000x better than onboard (or so I hear). BF3 sounds, here I come.
    I've been thinking of a soundcard too, though I've heard headsets have their own sound cards built into them and they use it instead,
    leaving the "real card" workless.
    I don't know if this is true or not.
    Sure if you have speakers then a soundcard is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    I've been thinking of a soundcard too, though I've heard headsets have their own sound cards built into them and they use it instead,
    leaving the "real card" workless.
    I don't know if this is true or not.
    Sure if you have speakers then a soundcard is a must.
    USB headsets have their own sound card

Thought I'd go look @ Kobalt's website for a laptop. But it turns out they've shut down now due to financial issues, as well as troubles with related companies. :<

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

Oh and this will also kick ass in gaming - not as much as a Xi-Fi card, I know, but it'll still be 50,000x better than onboard (or so I hear). BF3 sounds, here I come.
    Despite not being an equal in terms of EAX, your Xonar will have much better fidelity than the X-Fi cards which should more than make up for the lack of direct EAX support. You may have to switch output modes a few times to get the best audio from each game.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I know we already talked about the brand.... but I should have asked you... why 950 watts? That is quite overkill for your system.
    Because I'm the Tim Taylor of computer builders ;p

Not really, just like a higher ceiling for flexibility and oc'ing. I'm not adverse to 3-way SLI and didn't want to have to buy a new PS if I did do that. (Yes, I know that specific GPU can't go beyond 2-way SLI).

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrixor View Post
    Because I'm the Tim Taylor of computer builders ;p

Not really, just like a higher ceiling for flexibility and oc'ing. I'm not adverse to 3-way SLI and didn't want to have to buy a new PS if I did do that. (Yes, I know that specific GPU can't go beyond 2-way SLI).
    It's a waste of a PSU right now, for that many watts.

Not to mention the NVidia 6xx series is slated to suck up even less power, same with Ivybridge..... seriously a good 650 watt PSU would have suited you just as well.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It's a waste of a PSU right now, for that many watts.

Not to mention the NVidia 6xx series is slated to suck up even less power, same with Ivybridge..... seriously a good 650 watt PSU would have suited you just as well.
    650W wouldn't be enough for 2 560 Ti's under full load with my processor, etc...and that's without OC'ing. 750W would have been the minimum in my opinion.

Once again, the 950W was purchased with the intent to use more demanding components, not just for "right now".

10+ Year Old Account
    650W wouldn't be enough for 2 560 Ti's under full load with my processor, etc...and that's without OC'ing. 750W would have been the minimum in my opinion.

Once again, the 950W was purchased with the intent to use more demanding components, not just for "right now".
    TDP of 2 560 Tis + 2600k = 435W
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account

False, a GOOD 650W would definitely work. Wanna OC? Good, 650 would still work.

People tend to overestimate their system's actual power draw, and that's a good thing, but don't go wasting all kinds of money on something you'll never need. If you feel more comfortable with a 750W, then go 750W.

10+ Year Old Account

What are these "more demanding components?" I'm really intrigued.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are these "more demanding components?" I'm really intrigued.
    I think what he means is that if two years down the road he decides to build some beastly quad-SLI/CFX setup with 8 HDD's and a 24 power-hungry fans that he won't have to upgrade the PSU.

Poor thinking, but hey, to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    False, a GOOD 650W would definitely work. Wanna OC? Good, 650 would still work.

People tend to overestimate their system's actual power draw, and that's a good thing, but don't go wasting all kinds of money on something you'll never need. If you feel more comfortable with a 750W, then go 750W.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...i-1gb-review/8
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/21

750W would suffice, and I have one. 650W would not work under load. I bought the 950W b/c I wanted it for future use. Not sure why people don't understand that.

Deleted
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...i-1gb-review/8
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/21

750W would suffice, and I have one. 650W would not work under load. I bought the 950W b/c I wanted it for future use. Not sure why people don't understand that.
    Both the listed reviews calculate and show total system power usage. The Anandtech review even clearly states so. Even a good 550W is enough to power a dual 560 Ti setup. A 950W is borderline overkill for TRI-SLI 580s.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Both the listed reviews calculate and show total system power usage.
    I looked at both and neither said anything about total system power usage. Where does it say that? The anandtech chart does include motherboard and what not, but breaks it out at the bottom - but the net usage is still the same.

And for a third time, the 950W is not only going to be used for this system. Process that sentence. Take a deep breath. Ok, now. The 950W is not only going to be used in that system - its going to be used in another system soon with >2 way SLI and the 750W will fill in its place but I can't make the transition yet. Now, process that sentence. Take a deep breath. Overkill is okay, the world won't end. Jesus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I looked at both and neither said anything about total system power usage. Where does it say that? The anandtech chart does include motherboard and what not, but breaks it out at the bottom - but the net usage is still the same.

And for a third time, the 950W is not only going to be used for this system. Process that sentence. Take a deep breath. Ok, now. The 950W is not only going to be used in that system - its going to be used in another system soon with >2 way SLI and the 750W will fill in its place but I can't make the transition yet. Now, process that sentence. Take a deep breath. Overkill is okay, the world won't end. Jesus.
    >2 way SLI of what?
    "A flower.

Deleted
    >2 way SLI of what?
    Let's hope it's 590's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Let's hope it's 590's.
    With a 5.02GHz OC i7-990x like Cyanotical's.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account

The bit-tech graphs state "watts at socket" at the bottom of each graph, which is more than the power supply is giving to the whole system, which in turn is greater than how much the 560 Ti is pulling.

And all the AnanTech charts show is that a 2600k takes a meager amount of power, even when overclocked.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Overkill is okay, the world won't end. Jesus.
    There really is no need to be offended or become hostile. We are just telling you so you (and potential other users) won't make the same "mistake". And overkill is not always the best way to go when it comes to PSUs; most prefer to be run around 80% of their total output (which is usually where they perform the best). Running a PSU at 30% of its output is far from ideal and might reduce the lifespan considerably.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-sli-review/14
    There's another SLI test.... not to mention they're using a MORE power hungry CPU than the cute 2600K.

This might just be 560 non-Ti's... but still, it's a pretty significant margin.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2011-10-19 at 06:27 PM.
    "A flower.