... LastLast

So is it a MMORPG? Official reviews posted

MMORPG.com Review

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...a-Preview.html

Massively Sandbox player review

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10...h-swtors-beta/

Larry Everett - huge ToR fan review

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10...h-swtors-beta/

My personnel impressions after reading those reviews. What I expected and knew already and a real heavy focus on single player rpg and not much mmorpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad that's simply not true.

Rift was very much single player while leveling.
    WoW was very much single player while leveling.
    {insert an mmo here} was very much single player while leveling.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Deleted
    IMO i do still think that SWTOR is an MMORPG due to the fact of Warzones, Raids, Dungeons. You can still do things with lots of players instead of just rolling through the story yourself. i just think its an added bonus that it iwll have a decent storyline (hopefully) than the other MMORPGs where it is just pick up the quests, kill 10 boars, return quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post

WoW while leveling had group quest
    Rift was solo leveling, but had zone events to group with people
    Aion had campaigns that required groups and forts that required hundreds
    WAR required hundreds for pvp

I feel like this question is going to come up alot and it is important. I can take down a single player rpg in 30 days very easily and for people like me looking for a long term MMO I need more reviews.

Thumbs down

Its every bit an mmo as WoW is.
    You'll group more by level 20 than you did in WoW by 85 in cata (if you exclude dungeon finder groups)

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post

I feel like this question is going to come up alot and it is important. I can take down a single player rpg in 30 days very easily and for people like me looking for a long term MMO I need more reviews.
    Pretty sure this game has quests that require 2+ people. I'm also pretty sure there are dungeons while leveling that require a group. Warzones can be done from level 10+ and require a group.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaJay View Post
    Pretty sure this game has quests that require 2+ people. I'm also pretty sure there are dungeons while leveling that require a group. Warzones can be done from level 10+ and require a group.
    I would prefer the reviews to focus on that. If I wanted single player rpg's with story I would go back to consoles. Hearing more about the mmorpg parts is what interest me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post

Some of what these guys say just reaffirms some people are better off just playing WoW...
    I mean seriously, the second review the guy is complaining about the transition between the cinematic and the real world? Sure at launch or in the beginning there will be tons of people around so it will be weird transitioning, but wouldn't it look even worse if you had idiots jumping up and down behind you while your trying to have a serious conversation about a quest?

As always, the wrong people get access to the right games....

There is more group play while leveling in this game than I have experienced in Rift or WoW (no one has as much leveling group play as FFXI though ... )
    The heroic quests are designed to be done with multiple people - you *might* be able to pull it off by yourself, but it would be very hard, and almost impossible if it is designed for a 4 man party. And there are plenty of heroic quests in the game to ensure you are partying up and playing with other people if that's what you want (no one is forcing you to do the heroic quests, you can always decline them if you want to play solo).

I would prefer the reviews to focus on that. If I wanted single player rpg's with story I would go back to consoles. Hearing more about the mmorpg parts is what interest me.
    You have remember that this game isn't even out. The end game content probably isn't even available for testing yet.

Wow had group quests, until cataclysm.
    There are some fun zones, but theyre all forgettable. I dont read quest text, but I pay attention to cinematic stories. Why? Because they involve me.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been an MMORPG since day one, and later on they added a Single-player storyline experience.
    Last edited by vian; 2011-10-20 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account

WoW had that stuff, and while I could be wrong, I believe they took it all out. Does that mean it's not an MMO anymore?

TOR has many heroic areas and quests on every planet. They require 2-4 players.

TOR has a planet that exclusively is group quests.

TOR has openworld PvP objectives I'm that planet as well, though we don't know much about them.

TOR has flashpoints and Operations.

TOR has warzones.

Just because you don't have to do anything with others does not mean the content is not there. It certainly is.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaJay View Post
    You have remember that this game isn't even out. The end game content probably isn't even available for testing yet.
    nah it is certainly being tested. The non NDA review I am looking for won't be done until 30 days after launch. In the long run does having light and dark side decisions made when you are lvl 20 end up being a negative of the game at max level?

Is there too much grind or is it just right? For starter reviews this is what I expected.

Deleted
    To be honest i only wanted a KOTOR3. If this has raids, dungeons and PVP as well. Sounds good to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    nah it is certainly being tested. The non NDA review I am looking for won't be done until 30 days after launch. In the long run does having light and dark side decisions made when you are lvl 20 end up being a negative of the game at max level?

Is there too much grind or is it just right? For starter reviews this is what I expected.
    To be honest dude, a lot of what these guys complain about is not liking the story. Well that's pretty subjective and really it seems they have nothing but good things to say about the actual gameplay aside from dislikes in the UI. So I don't really see where this is being conveyed that its all single player filler and little group activities.

15+ Year Old Account
    How many various websites and articles do you troll with your RPG or MMORPG stuff Pure? I know you do it to this website whenever you can. I see you posted your same inane comments on mmorpg.com under their article. Instead of being overly critical and questioning if it is a true MMO, look at these reviews you linked.

The one from the sandbox guy:
    managed to get a Republic Trooper off the Ord Mantell starter planet and firmly entrenched in a few Coruscant quest lines, and I logged over 10 hours of gameplay in the process
    He played for over TEN hours. FREAKING TEN. The leveling experience is supposed to take 200+ so grats to him on experiencing less than 5% of it. Yet somehow, he manages to take away that it is a SPRPG and not an MMORPG. Do me a favor, go back to Vanilla WoW and take a look of the multiplayer experience in the first 10 hours or 10+ levels. There is none. There are no group quests in starter zones. There were no instances until 10-13 with RFC/Deadmines. He never even mentions going into the flashpoint. So how exactly is he going to give any idea of the multiplayer aspects of the game when he didn't do that ones available to him and didn't play long enough to see much past the first planet?

The third reviewer got to 15-16. He never once mentions doing a flashpoint, but again he never calls the game a SPRPG as far as I see. The first reviewer at least did multiplayer aspects of the game with Huttball and commented that it requires team work and he said he enjoyed the game.

Aside from sandbox guy who barely played the game, the only person to make any comment about it being a single player game is YOU! So please, stop your trolling constantly about it being a single player game. It isn't. Anyone who has truly played the game and put serious time into it can tell you that it isn't a single player game and none of those people have even played the game with all of the flashpoints and operations in it yet so it is even more multiplayer than they have experienced.

I browse a few sites which is why I gave multiple reviews. Also posting this allows you guys to talk about. Not sure if you know, but posting any NDA stuff gets you a 24hr auto ban from this site and mmorpg.com

It is refreshing that people can talk about this now instead of the thought provoking "Are mmo companions relationships crossing the line?". As interesting as that discussion was I prefer other discussions.

Hell just posting two twitter comments yesterday on that site got me 8 pages of people wanting my head on a stick because the title of thread was not neutral enough..Original title: Controlled NDA release on 10/20/2011 New title: Press Embargo lift on 10/20/2011

One of the reviewers are right when they said ToR fans are flipping nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if you know, but posting any NDA stuff gets you a 24hr auto ban from this site and mmorpg.com
    Where are you getting that false info from?

And we are aware of posting habits and what people say. No one is fooling us, no matter how disguised it may be.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-20 at 05:49 PM.

Deleted
    One of the reviewers are right when they said ToR fans are flipping nuts.
    No. Just the majority of us actually know more about the game than them, so when they post a load of rubbish and claim "It's Official", a lot of head-desking occurs. Watching reviewers attempting to write an unbiased review on TOR is like watching Fox News trying to do an unbiased report on Obama; it just does not happen, and it's hilarious when they claim to be unbiased.