Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So I need a good RTS to play

Preferably one on Steam. I used to play one a long time ago, it wasn't on Steam, but I can't remember the name of it either

Preferably a fantasy one, kill dragons and ogres and whatnot. Seeing as how I haven't played any RTS in a long time, I don't want one that is super hard. I can't think of any other pre-requirements, so if you want to ask anything or just throw out some suggestions, go for it. Thank you very much.

Edit: In hindsight, I wouldn't mind a modern/future one either. So really just any good RTS at this point.
    Last edited by Slammin Shaman; 2011-10-21 at 04:08 AM.

Civ 4/5, Warcraft 3 are the two that come off the top of my head, but I don't play RTS games that much. Perhaps list what games you've already played?

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Civ 4/5, Warcraft 3 are the two that come off the top of my head, but I don't play RTS games that much. Perhaps list what games you've already played?
    I haven't played a RTS game in years and I've beat WC3 a few times, which was really good but I didn't like having an actual "hero" in it; I just want to control my army.

Why not try Starcraft 2?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly an RTS... but Orcs Must Die = Hawtness!

Hmm, I'd recommend "Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majesty...sy_Kingdom_Sim). It's an old RTS with a twist, you don't actually "control" your units. You can influence them, by say putting a bounty on a unit's head, but you don't really tell them to attack/whatever. But all the units have a personality, for example, rogues are HEAVILY influenced by bounties, paladins are defensive and hard to kill, scouts explore and can poison their arrows, etc. And it's on steam, too. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/25990/) Only $5! ^^

I'd do a bit of research, though. It wasn't commercially successful, so I'd read the wiki article on it to see if you'd like it. Some don't. Saddens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalorith View Post
    Why not try Starcraft 2?
    As much as I hear people talk about SC2, I've never actually tried it. I could always try it, but I don't know how much it costs and I'm very stingy with my money lol

Quote Originally Posted by Slammin Shaman View Post
    As much as I hear people talk about SC2, I've never actually tried it. I could always try it, but I don't know how much it costs and I'm very stingy with my money lol
    Sort of depends on where you live, and which region you buy. For example, it costs like $90 for the Aus/NZ region, while its $60 for the US... Civilization V is another nice one.

If you like the Heroes of Might & Magic serie, the 6th one should be released by now or is just around the corner.
    Or the less known Sins of a Solar Empire, its a hidden gem thats not really known but really good.

Company of heroes.

nothing more to add.

He's asking for RTS games and bunch of you offer turn based games, derp.

On that note, a list of must-to-play RTS games:

Age of Empires II
    Warcraft II-III
    Rome and Medieval II Total Wars (Though, these two has turnbased nation management bit)
    Starcraft I and II
    Company of Heroes
    Anno 1404

That should get you started and keep you entertained for a long time.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

To others,

I agree on Age Of Empires. Try Command and Conquer also.

As far as Blizzard games, I found little enjoyment in sequels. Play Warcraft 2, and the original Starcraft + Brood Wars .. to experience true RTS.

disclaimer:
    WC3 was dry and not appealing .. you work an avatar up only to have him die in the story, then work another one up .. repeat .. everything gained is lost .. you start over basically. All the quest items you saved up are mostly lost. Avatar dies, the new successor (now in control) can now pick up a few items of the dozen+ items from the corpse (which you can't carry). This leaves behind many epic acquired items that just sit and rot away. Boo.
    SC2 - not engrossing story - lopsided story.
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-10-21 at 05:14 AM.

I'd recommend the Command and Conquer series, especially Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun. Do not touch the latest one, however, (CNC4) as that was a shitstorm (Thanks EA...)

Age of Empires (any), Sins of a Solar Empire, Starcraft/Warcraft (any), and Dawn of War (the first) are all ones I enjoyed.

(I never played the second dawn of war, so will not speak to whether or not it was good since I have no firsthand experience).

15+ Year Old Account
    You can buy it on Amazon for 50$, and there is a starter addition in which you can play the first few missions of single player, against other people, and against the computer(On a small number of maps) which is free.

Basically theres a free demo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick up Dawn of War 2 Retribution. Should be about $30 and it's a fun game. The single-player campaign is fun (it's basically the same campaign for all of the factions, just modified for specific story bits) and the multiplayer was fun as well, if a bit unbalanced (Chaos shit on everyone except Space Marines last time I gave it a whirl.)

Starcraft 2 is the best RTS available these days, but since it's a Blizzard title you're looking at $50-$60 for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The original Dawn of War + addons are indeed recommendable.
    So is Sins of Solar Empire - however best to be downloaded via their own homepage - also sadly one of the most underrated RTS of this decade. It is very intuitive and as far as real-time management goes one of the most laidback ones even during huge battles.

However the original Supreme Commander is a good suggestion as well.

Of course none of these offer dragons - well maybe huge demons and avatars. Kinda similar

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Civ 4/5
    Err, I'd classify those as TBS. Civ games in real-time especially 4 would probably make you cry
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Droidster View Post
    I'd recommend the Command and Conquer series, especially Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun. Do not touch the latest one, however, (CNC4) as that was a shitstorm (Thanks EA...)
    I'd also recommend this, Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun are definetly the best out there (and you MUST try out Yuri's Revenge! The game is full of epicness). C&C4 is an abomination, don't ever touch it. C&C3 and RA3 are great games too, in my opinion not as good as the prequels

I can also recommand you Age of Empire, but that isn't really fantasy, more medieval.n

Age of Empires is a great RTS - both II and III. Neither has any fantastical stuff in it, but III has guns - muskets, cannons, etc, and II is just pure medieval. Good games.

If you havn't tried SC2, definately do. It's great value for money - no subscription required, and theres some GREAT custom made stuff out there which is free as long as you have SC2 - the map editor is amazing and some people have made some great games, and ofc you have this Starcraft Universe thing, which is like a starcraft mini-MMO made with the map editor.

The game is an amazing work of art in many ways - each of the three races is very distinct, plays very differently, and yet they are all balanced together really well.

Someone suggested the Rome and Medieval II Total War games. While they are great, they are not RTS as such. Look into them though - they are great. Rome is a bit outdated, but a modded Medieval II (Stainless Steel 6.4 is the current best mod) is fantastic.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Preferably one on Steam. I used to play one a long time ago, it wasn't on Steam, but I can't remember the name of it either

Preferably a fantasy one, kill dragons and ogres and whatnot. Seeing as how I haven't played any RTS in a long time, I don't want one that is super hard. I can't think of any other pre-requirements, so if you want to ask anything or just throw out some suggestions, go for it. Thank you very much.

Edit: In hindsight, I wouldn't mind a modern/future one either. So really just any good RTS at this point.
    Try R.U.S.E. must be cheap cause its a bit old but definitely check it on youtube cause if you like BIG maps rts, ruse is for you!