Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I'm glad they announced it early, it gives we Asura more time to plan world domination!

I mean bake cookies! Cookies for all!

>.>
    <.<
    The cookies have mind control drugs baked into them. I'm on to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    I have been waiting for this game for a long time, so I guess I am just getting tired of waiting. Also, just because there is a closed beta at the end of the year, doesn't mean it will be out soon.
    I've been waiting for Pandaren in WoW since forever too. Now I finally get to play them and people are raging about a made up humanoid race in a made up fantasy world.

Each game is unique on its own, and I believe ArenaNet will deliver by the end of the year, just as Blizzard has.

Deleted
    I've been hyped for this since 2007 when they announced they're working on it and no info was released.

10+ Year Old Account
    remember the 3 year wait between GWEN and the first real info other than "GWEN is a bridge to GW2"? that sucked
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Eh once Beta rolls around and people realize that a cheaper MMO is better then their current one the hype will skyrocket. Right now the game has some pretty crazy hype and that's just from only having a few youtube videos to watch :P. Can't imagine how nuts it will be when people actually start to play it

I never realized how much people loved the Mesmer. I wonder if it'd be the same if the Necromancer was last to be announced, and everyone was speculating that it was indeed the Necromancer...

OT: I have a feeling the hype'll die down for me around winter time. Luckily, I'll have new games to play by then. I expect to have a huge, new wave of info by 2012.

If anything, over time i'm more and more hyped. I've recently got to showing he game so far to friends and family, i've got a good 10 people down to buy the game on release. I know this has been said A LOT.. but seeing the changes in WoW's next expack makes the hype triple. I have nothing but patience for this game.
    And the talk about Add-ons, I don't see the need for any so far.

And the physical integrity of those cookies better be chewy! Not soft, just chewy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vafiveh View Post
    And the physical integrity of those cookies better be chewy! Not soft, just chewy.
    Beware, mortal... Abaddon will eat your cookies...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vafiveh View Post

i dont understand the difference
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawrgrablle View Post
    I'd like to have the game be quiet for the first 3 years so we can enjoy a good community before it goes to shait when the wow community jumps over.
    hopefully most of them don't have a computer that can handle the massive jump in graphic quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I feel is that when anyone finds out about GW2 for the first time, the game gets hyped up for them without any input from arena net. I remember watching vid after vid of anything and everything(official or not, mostly not), salivating on any morsel of information each time. To be honest, I don't even think arenanet has started to hype GW2 up yet!

Once we even know about all the classes in the game, hopefully before beta is due to start, I think they will start putting a lot of effort into getting us into that mob frenzy.

Deleted
    Here is to hoping that Anet knows what they are doing.

And Mif's cookies sure are suspicious. If you include Jack Daniel's in the mix of those cookies, I might just submit.

Deleted
    They definitely announced the game too early and way ahead of time.

For a Single-Player game a reveal up to 12 months prior to release is about perfect. (BF 3 and MW 3 only had about 8 months)

An MMO obviously needs a longer time to build-up a hype but anything beyond 2 years in advance is pretty bad imo. GW2 was announced.....what?....4 years ago?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    An MMO obviously needs a longer time to build-up a hype but anything beyond 2 years in advance is pretty bad imo.
    GW2's big first content reveal was Gamescon 2010, which was only 1 year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe
    GW2 was announced.....what?....4 years ago?
    Being that ArenaNet at the time was a smaller company, they didn't have the resources to develop GW2 while maintaining their previous commitment to GW1 updates, so the only reason they announced GW2 back then was to be honest to their customers and explain what was happening.

Deleted
    Well it was announced back in 2007 (source: http://www.guildwars.com/events/pres...2007-03-27.php )

It wasn't until GC 2009 though that they showed footage for the first time (the Shatterer Event). From then onwards it's been a more or less constant stream of small updates.

Nevermind what you define as the announcement-date however, it's definitely been too long of a wait.

Deleted
    This is the calm before the storm, in less than 2 months open beta will be upon us and all the hype in the world is going to reign down on Gw2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Well it was announced back in 2007 (source: http://www.guildwars.com/events/pres...2007-03-27.php )

Nevermind what you define as the announcement-date however, it's definitely been too long of a wait.
    But the thread is meant to be about it being "hyped" for too long, so I'd hardly consider a press release that states nothing other than that they're making the game to be "hyping". You also have to remember that the game has been delayed by years, so that ruined any timeline they originally may of designed their marketing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe
    It wasn't until GC 2009 though that they showed footage for the first time
    You're correct. I confused the first trailer with first playable.
    But once again I'd argue that it was more of a teaser than "hyping".

As someone said, the Guild Wars 2 closed beta will be out before the year is over. Beyond that, Arena Net HAS released a timeline: closed beta --> open beta --> full release. Each of these determines the release of the next phase. So, if the bug squashing process goes particularly smooth, we could see a sooner release.

Most of this info I'm getting from their twitter. Still no release date, but it's resonable to presume it to come in the first half of 2012. For those REALLY hyped, there are the closed beta (presuming this phase has select public participation) and open beta (for the entire public).

10+ Year Old Account
    "Just have a little.. patience.."

When GW2 was announced, I remember hearing about it and saying 'Pfft, that will suck.' And went back to my WoW raid. I had a few bad experiences in GW: Prophecies and never ended up going back to the game. Then I started getting really hyped from SWTOR, and saw a bunch of YouTube videos between swtor/gw2. I had seen the Shatterer video, but still wanted to think that GW2 was just a 'shinier WoW.'

It really wasn't until Gamescom in Koln this year that really got me excited, seeing all the gameplay/pvp. And now here we are, I have both swtor AND gw2 preordered, and really want gw2 a lot more. Swtor will just have to get me through the end of December and through January..... but I'd much rather cancel my swtor account before the free month runs out. So, come ANet. Lets get this game out before I waste another $15!