Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    Manually walking between zones, major cities, porting and into dungeons is what it is right now. The between zone thing is kind of sketchy because of Anet saying something along the lines of "between regions", but the demo does have them between zones, so no real confirmation there.
    I think regions=zones, you have to realize GW2 zones are much larger than either GW1 or WoW zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Manually walking between zones, major cities, porting and into dungeons is what it is right now. The between zone thing is kind of sketchy because of Anet saying something along the lines of "between regions", but the demo does have them between zones, so no real confirmation there.
    :/ I can live with most of those, but screens going in and out of cities is a major annoyance. Granted I don't know how often that will need to be done in GW2, but a screen everytime you wander outside Stormwind into Elwynn or w/e would get old fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the loading screens will be annoying. I think it will make it feel like it's not an open world, but that is okay, just hoping that it won't be as bad as it looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loading screens are a very important tool in optimization. WoW even has them for a good reason. If the entire WoW world was a consistent continent it would be cool immersion wise but the servers wouldn't be able to handle it. Just the separation of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms alone helps this cause.

There is even more reason for more loading screens in GW2, some might not like it but it's a necessary evil for such a game, it's the trade off for large pvp and pve events and visceral combat. Of course they very well could go overboard with the loading screens and really ruin the game all together by doing so, but ArenaNet has a good history when it comes to loading screens.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    but ArenaNet has a good history when it comes to loading screens.
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree with that. Have you played GW1? I don't think I've played any game with that amount of load screens.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with that. Have you played GW1? I don't think I've played any game with that amount of load screens.
    Agreed, loading screens were off the limit. But you can't compare it with GW2. The support on it is much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like to think that GW2 will the first game that Anet has made.

Deleted
    I like to think that GW2 will the first game that Anet has made.
    Don't think that, just think of Guild Wars as a testing ground. Now Anet has all the data and experience to make a much better game!

10+ Year Old Account
    There were a lot of loading screens, but I don't remember sitting through them at all. They didn't last longer than 1 or 2 seconds in most cases.

And if GW1 is your idea of a game with a lot of loading screens, you haven't played many bad games then. I've seen way more loading screens in a game that last about 45 seconds each. That is terrible.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2011-10-25 at 01:40 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    How often did you really encounter a loading screen to where it became a nuisance? I mean, if you're questing in a zone/ vanquishing/ doing a mission you've got a good 30 minutes where you're not encountering a loading screen. That and the first time it loads the zone is the longest, the following times your computer loads it from a cache. If you're getting loading screens more often than that, you're either Map Traveling Around, PvP'ing or dying a lot in missions (which isn't any different than WoW mind you...)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

As long as the loading screens don't take forever I don't have a problem with them.

I liked the loading screens they had in Asheron's Call though. It was like traveling through a portal, a lot like the way they travel through space on all the Stargate series.

Dont see a problem with loading screens...and peole who are complaining are just retarded. You guys do realize wow had loading screens right? Ever remember travling between the new blood elf zone and EPL? Theres a portal.......and a load.....though it may only take 5 seconds im assuming it will be the same in GW2. Oh and remember ashenvale? And travleing to stonetalon down that long tunnle which took 2 mins to run through? BAM...would have put a portal 2 feet into the tunnle and it wouldnt have changed anything. Almost every change in zone in WoW could have had a portal and a load screen without changing anything....why? Because every zone transition was usually a long narrow path, a bridge, or a tunnle. Having the load screens will make no difference to me.

They provide a nice zone transition, in my opinion, even though the the transition between environments was smooth and logical in GW1 anyway.

Deleted
    Loading screens are bad mkay. They waste your time mkay,make you sit there at a picture for what feels like forever mkay then you get through one and realize you have to go back and sit through another one and its annoying mkay. Then you get a series of quests were you port all over the place giving you more loading screens mkay. After so many months you'll know the pictures off by heart mkay.

I'm alright with them really if they make the world a less laggy place to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    You travel and cross a whole continent without ever seeying a loading screen... so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pharma View Post
    You travel and cross a whole continent without ever seeying a loading screen... so...
    Small lag spike + Chat change (each Zone's /1 /2 /3 /4 and /5 channels are on separate "severs" in WoW) is essentially the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

After however many years of using this site for WoW stuff, I've finally gone and made a forums account to respond to some of these GW2 threads. The game looks great, I'm psyched, etc etc.

I'm not terribly big on loading screens, but it is possible to have zone lines without actually having a loading screen. I doubt anyone (at all) has really played FFXIV much with the reputation it has, but it had its zone lines in every area but the transition was mostly seamless for the player. There was some overlap between zones so that as you started going into the next zone, the game would download the zone data and you'd keep walking while you'd traditionally be on a loading screen, but by the time you hit the end of the overlap area everything would be downloaded and you'd be in the next zone. To anyone watching you'd kind of jump ahead a distance, but it often worked out really nicely.

I think what I worry about more than loading screens is having to funnel all traffic through defined entrances and exits of an area. I got really spoiled by how easily you can move through areas in WoW.

I'll be ok with loading screens. But its almost a fact that haters will use loading screens as there big insult against the game.
    "Sorry but i don't want to play loading screens the game"
    Look forward to that and a bunch of other asinine shit like that when talking to guild wars 2 haters.

ok I'll give you that there are a lot, but its not like they take forever, and so what? I dont see why everyone its soo annoyed by loading screens. They are necessary to me.

---------- Post added 2011-10-25 at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    Loading screens are bad mkay. They waste your time mkay,make you sit there at a picture for what feels like forever mkay then you get through one and realize you have to go back and sit through another one and its annoying mkay. Then you get a series of quests were you port all over the place giving you more loading screens mkay. After so many months you'll know the pictures off by heart mkay.

I'm alright with them really if they make the world a less laggy place to be honest.
    Wow can you say mkay anymore? Gosh dang thats annoying! A bit more annoying than loading screens, because loading screens are NOT that bad and are a pretty necessary evil... gosh dang.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXI had loading screens between every zone and it never bothered me one bit.