Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KevyB View Post
    It's one thing to have a big world, and another to have a detailed world.
    Most of the places on TOR's planets look really, REALLY desolate and uninspired.
    Most of the places look exactly the opposite of what you described, so not sure if serious.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilim View Post
    Most of the places look exactly the opposite of what you described, so not sure if serious.
    I think he meant the fact that most planets on Star Wars only have one environment type

Tatooine-Desert
    Hoth-Ice
    Dagobah-Swamp
    Coruscant- giant city
    Manaan - Water
    Last edited by Sargerus; 2011-10-26 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    I think he meant the fact that most planet on Star Wars only have one environment type

Tatooine-Desert
    Hoth-Ice
    Dagobah-Swamp
    Coruscant- giant city
    Manaan - Water
    Yeh that's what i meant, as in monotonous, they lack "soul" if ye know what i mean. Tho it's a bit late into the beta now (and release is less than 2 months away) they should whack it up a little here and there

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze148 View Post
    Yeah i know right, WoW always seemed like such a big place, when on foot or ground mounts i guess it is, but flying everywhere kind of shrinks the scale down FAST.

Wonder what the actual biggest game world is?. EvE online maybe?. Not sure if that would count though, mostly just empty black space
    I think Eve would be biggest even if you downscale it down as much as possible.
    (If you ''don't'' downscale and just take the in-game size numbers for stuff, some singular ships would be on that chart of worlds )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaninchen View Post
    I just hope those planets use their space wisely. I mean what's the point of having a map that's way larger than 1 zone of WoW if it's 2/4 filled with sand and no quest/pvp objectives/mysterious npc's.
    I would disagree to a point. So long as zones don't skimp on substantive content, large zones being large just for the sake of it has its own appeal. Enviroments like that become more realistic, immersive, and overall very impressive.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeh that's what i meant, as in monotonous, they lack "soul" if ye know what i mean. Tho it's a bit late into the beta now (and release is less than 2 months away) they should whack it up a little here and there
    Well they really can't and still call it Star Wars. Most of the planets seem to have one distinguishing element. Tatooine is a gigantic desert planet. They can't randomly go adding lush oases to it and expect people to believe that it is the same place. It just wouldn't fit with the already defined theme of the planet. Same for places like Korriban, Hoth, they city planets, etc. that have defined elements in the Star Wars universe. Places like Alderaan and stuff, sure they could spice it up by adding in lake, mountains, etc. so I'm not sure how that plays out in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by noahjam326 View Post
    The smallest planets in the game (the starter planets) are labeled at about 2x the size of an average WoW zone. The largest planet (Aldaraan) is said to be the size of 7-8 average WoW zones. So 4 planets are 2x a WoW zone, and 1 planet is 7x a WoW zone. That means the 12 other planets range between 3-6 WoW zones in length. So the average size of each planet will probably range around the size of just under Northrend.
    Not sure how you arrive at that accurately since Northrend is: 10 zones: Bor, Fjord, Griz, Drag, Zul, Cryst, Ice, Shol, Wint, Storm.

The worlds they can take artistic licensing in all depend how much of the world we know about, especially from the movies (which grantedly, is FAR in the future, in the relative timeline), and the past (KOTOR games).

Tatooine - Yeah, it's sand, all the little outposts like Mos Eisley all look similar. When you deal with a planet with 2 suns, you pretty much get one singular enviroment. Well, there is sand, and rock. And Tusken Raiders like hiding in the rocks.

Hoth - Ice and lots of it. Sorry, but thems the breaks. Ice caves, ice mountains, ice everywhere. Be careful about the wampas.

Alderaan - Far more earth-like, in respect to varying climates, and terrain. Expect a lot of diversity here, since we really only heard mention of it in the movies. Best to see the sights before it gets blown to bits in the future.

Korriban - A ton of red rocky wastes. Again, a world that is kind of iconic in it's geological appearance, if not "bland". If you are Republic though, avoid it, cause otherwise, rocks won't be the only thing red coming your way.

And that is only 4/17. It is going to vary, but thankfully, with so many options, you should have a wide-varied trek across the galaxy from Level 1-50.

You are all missing that WoW has used almost every single piece of sand/dirt/tree/water/shit for quests/pvp/citys if the zones are really that large in ToR and you got nothing to do in them then thats just like not having them at all

Quote Originally Posted by AllteCCC View Post
    You are all missing that WoW has used almost every single piece of sand/dirt/tree/water/shit for quests/pvp/citys if the zones are really that large in ToR and you got nothing to do in them then thats just like not having them at all
    It's the same with TOR. I can guarantee that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AllteCCC View Post
    Have to remember that some of those large tracts of land can (and probably will) have hidden datacrons in them and probably more. Meaning there's always a reason to go search that empty desert. But remember the planets do have reason why they're all the same climate in some cases. Tatooine has two suns, not much is going to be there but desert. Hoth is far, far away from its sun, there's going to be a lot of ice. Korriban kind of got used and abused by its inhabitants for thousands of years, think what Al Gore said is going to happen but with sith sorcery and alchemy hence its barrenness etc (please don't get off topic about Gore). Coruscant is one huge city, you're not going to find a jungle there. Etc, etc.
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

That can't be right.... JC aint THAT big

Deleted
    Most of the places on TOR's planets look really, REALLY desolate and uninspired.
    You keep dreaming dear.

Damn that made it feel like I play in a sandbox playing WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

I hope they handle the zone overlap intelligently, one thing I can't stand is invisible walls or a zone surrounded my mountains or buildings that you can't get past.

I've seen some screenshots of swtor, corrusant for example has lots of buildings you can see...but I'll bet 95% will be inaccessible to the player and are there for decoration or as zone wall. Even the buildings you can access, again only 5% of that building will be used.
    Last edited by Snowmist; 2011-10-26 at 04:01 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    You certainly haven't seen Taris, Tython, Corescant, Nar Shaddar etc then.

Quote Originally Posted by imtehrogue View Post
    That can't be right.... JC aint THAT big
    Dude it is.
    Try to go from one end to the other, you'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    I new Guild Wars was bigger than WoW but DAYUM.

I hope TOR can compare in size, I mean, the levels in the KotORs were small...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Notice they are only referencing the Nightfall campaign, I would assume that doesn't include Tyria and Cantha into their size estimations.

---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmist View Post
    I hope they handle the zone overlap intelligently, one thing I can't stand is invisible walls or a zone surrounded my mountains or buildings that you can't get past.

I've seen some screenshots of swtor, corrusant for example has lots of buildings you can see...but I'll bet 95% will be inaccessible to the player and are there for decoration or as zone wall. Even the buildings you can access, again only 5% of that building will be used.
    As far as zone boundaries go developers only have a few ways of making an end of a zone. Invisible walls are the worst possible solution, mountains, blocking walls and buildings are better IMHO in that they make the end point at least some what flow with the surrounding landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post

I hope TOR can compare in size, I mean, the levels in the KotORs were small...
    To be fair, this was Guild Wars after two "expansions" (each a standalone game in itself). And there is a lot of continent that simply can't be explored.

It may be bigger, but WoW feels bigger, especially with quick travel in GW.