Page 1 of 3
LastLast

No dual spec at launch - referring to AC or actual specs?

Hey guys, I've been trying to find this in the compilation guides but to no avail. Basically, there is officially no dual spec at launch. But is this referring to advanced classes? Because, say I really look forward to playing a healing Commando in instances, there is no way in heck I want to quest/solo as a healer. (have any of you tried taking a resto shammy to do dailies in wow. Ugh. And I only have 1 resto pvp and 1 resto pve spec).

I understand that your companions helps with this, providing a complementary role. However, it is only about 60% as effective as a player, a bit more if micromanged properly. Will we be able to switch between.. roles? Like switch from the Trooper Commando's DPS to healing tree.

Sorry if this has been asked already.

Deleted
    Hello,

Within your AC there are 3 specs, and when (if) they release Dual Spec, you pick between those 3 specs rather than between AC's.

I am also in a similar situation (not in regards to actually game-play as you are) but I want a class for PvP (mainly) but also wish to tank PvE wise. So for me its looking like Jedi Guardian/Sith Jugg, even though I really wanted Jedi Sentinel/Sith Maurader.

But yes its the 3 specs within your AC.

Thanks for the reply. Well, thats a bit of a letdown. I can't imagine running through the game healing my companion as he kills people at half speed

Deleted
    I can see what you are saying and most people would suggest to play as a "dps" for leveling, but then this arises the problem of finding healers along the way while you are leveling. Not sure what to suggest my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Well, thats a bit of a letdown. I can't imagine running through the game healing my companion as he kills people at half speed
    Everyone gets a pure dps companion. In a healer's case, you want to pick up this companion, as IIRC their damage scales with your healer stat so we healers aren't left out in the cold when soloing

I'm not too clear about the dual spec thing, but as far as I know there is no AC flipping (i.e. changing between Juggernaut and Marauder), only switching within the AC that you chose (DPS Jugg and tank jugg)
    Last edited by Zarasthura; 2011-10-27 at 02:57 PM.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

For normal questing you're not likely to have to heal your companion. And even specced as healing, you probably get quite a few dps spells, which granted wont be as effective as if you were a dps spec but will still work just fine for questing.

At the same time, switching specs within your AC will be relatively cheap according to devs, so that's always an option if you want to run a few flashpoints as a healer then go back to questing as a dps.

As a healer with a DPS pet you can still clear just as fast as a DPS with a healer pet.
    Healer ACs share the same base abilities as the DPS specs within that same class, so you may not get any talented abilities that may appear in the tree, and not get the damage increase bonus ect but you will have a majority of the abilities of a DPS class.

SWTOR is the best MMO i have ever seen in regards to leveling as a healer, hands down. You won't be disappointed if you want to level as a healer.

I agreed dual spec within your AC is something that is needed, and they will be adding it. But you won't need to respec to do instancing or anything of the sort while leveling.

Hey guys, I've been trying to find this in the compilation guides but to no avail. Basically, there is officially no dual spec at launch. But is this referring to advanced classes? Because, say I really look forward to playing a healing Commando in instances, there is no way in heck I want to quest/solo as a healer. (have any of you tried taking a resto shammy to do dailies in wow. Ugh. And I only have 1 resto pvp and 1 resto pve spec).

I understand that your companions helps with this, providing a complementary role. However, it is only about 60% as effective as a player, a bit more if micromanged properly. Will we be able to switch between.. roles? Like switch from the Trooper Commando's DPS to healing tree.

Sorry if this has been asked already.
    As a healer, you will not have a problem questing with your companion. You will have a varied selection of DPS abilities as well as healing abilities.

Leveling as a healer (or a tank) is not only viable, but it is a lot of fun. Bioware did an amazing job with SWTOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Semi-related question/ semi-thread ninja...

Do you get force sensitive companions? You know, ones that can use light sabers and shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post

Do you get force sensitive companions? You know, ones that can use light sabers and shit.
    The force sensitive classes do.... not sure about the others.

It would make sense to pair force-sensitive companions with force users, but alas, NDA prevents answering this question in detail
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    It would make sense to pair force-sensitive companions with force users, but alas, NDA prevents answering this question in detail
    Fuggin NDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    As a healer with a DPS pet you can still clear just as fast as a DPS with a healer pet.
    Healer ACs share the same base abilities as the DPS specs within that same class, so you may not get any talented abilities that may appear in the tree, and not get the damage increase bonus ect but you will have a majority of the abilities of a DPS class.

SWTOR is the best MMO i have ever seen in regards to leveling as a healer, hands down. You won't be disappointed if you want to level as a healer.

I agreed dual spec within your AC is something that is needed, and they will be adding it. But you won't need to respec to do instancing or anything of the sort while leveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauble View Post
    As a healer, you will not have a problem questing with your companion. You will have a varied selection of DPS abilities as well as healing abilities.

Leveling as a healer (or a tank) is not only viable, but it is a lot of fun. Bioware did an amazing job with SWTOR.

I find both your responses comforting I hope it is based on some in-game experience! I like playing the more challenging roles like tanking and healing, but when it comes to levelling/questing, it has traditionally been "meh".

I've actually done some digging, and according to some posters on the official forums, healing classes get some buff ("Presence", I think?) that causes significantly increased damage from your pets as opposed to if you were the DPSer instead. THIS SOUNDS FANTASTIC.

Also, I stumbled across a 4000 post thread (It had to be recreated 4 times :P) in SWTOR.com's general discussion where people were asking for Dual Spec. Clearly it's not something a minute fraction of the playerbase wants.

We have seen the SI/JC/JK with force companions....im guessing the SW would get one aswell.....not sure about other classes

<Snip> NDA

Also, that's not true. At least not for every class, or personal choice.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-27 at 09:02 PM.

<Snip> NDA
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-27 at 09:03 PM.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Sith Inquisitors get at least one force-sensitive companion. As in, he can sense people who use the force, and proceeds to kill and eat them (Jedi and unworthy Sith alike).

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/biographies/khem-val

<Snip> NDA
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-27 at 09:09 PM.

I don't see how they could get around allowing players to respec (within their AC) for a reasonable (or no) cost. People will make talent choice mistakes and people will want to try new things out.

Whether they will allow you to flip between two saved specs (I'm a Healer...I'm DPS...now I'm a Healer again...) is another question - but since other MMO's have already opened that flood gate I think Bioware will have to get on board and do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashii View Post
    ...Whether they will allow you to flip between two saved specs (I'm a Healer...I'm DPS...now I'm a Healer again...) is another question - but since other MMO's have already opened that flood gate I think Bioware will have to get on board and do it too.
    I believe they said that was in the works... sorry i don't have the quote though.
    LFG is like a playground. the idea is great but retarded kids ruin it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyskato View Post
    Is it bad that I think that Draenei fan art is really hot?
    fap fap fap
    What?