Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion D3 is not an MMORPG

Websters online dictionary states: They "...allow thousands of gamers to play in the game's evolving virtual world at the same time via the Internet.

Now this brings up two topics of debate, *Useing wow as a MMORPG example.

1. Evolving Virtual World?
    -WoW's world has evolved from when it was in vanilla
    -Diablo 2 had a new act when the expansion came out is that really an evolving world? (D2 example for lack of playing D3)

2. At The Same Time
    -In Wow you can have a thousand+ players on one realm (or world)
    -Diablo 3 can only have 4 people in a game... but can have thousands of people playing their virtual world online... so does that count?

If you include a "perpetual world" in your definition then D3 is 100% not an MMORPG considering the game world does not exist unless someone makes a game.
    Last edited by Grassfarmer; 2011-10-27 at 08:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    D3 isnt counted as a MMORPG FYI its as Online RPG atleast the gamespy award thingie it got from RPG game and SWTOR for MMORPG this year >.>
    "Veni, vidi, vici"

"I came, I saw, I conquered"

Just wanted to add that Diablo has random dungeon layouts (not themes!). Don't know if this will be the case in D3 though...

Simply an hack & slash with coop like some people have said.

But when a game that is bought, if you want some item, you have to buy it with real money .. its simply SHIT !!

Torchlight 2 Runic Games, dont have the money that blizz has and is developing a much better game that diablo.

GJ blizz screwing up 2 games that once were the 2 best games in my opinion (Diablo, WoW).

10+ Year Old Account
    Before they started calling it "Hack 'n Slash" games like Diablo were called "Dungeon Crawlers".

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    No, because in the facebook games it's Zynga (or whatever company) selling the items. In Diablo, it's just an auction house where players can list things for real money, like a built-in ebay.
    This is just my opinion (which doesn't mean much), but I can foresee D3's AH being dominated by the gold farming industry, thus taking all the power away from the players. I have a strong feeling prices will become inflated so badly, that buying anything on the AH with RL goldz would just be stupid. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevensin View Post

But when a game that is bought, if you want some item, you have to buy it with real money .. its simply SHIT !!

Torchlight 2 Runic Games, dont have the money that blizz has and is developing a much better game that diablo.

GJ blizz screwing up 2 games that once were the 2 best games in my opinion (Diablo, WoW).
    This has been discussed long time ago, we dont need rants of rabid Torchlight fans again, thank you.

They aren't forcing you to spend real money to buy anything, it is just an opinion available to you. If someone wants to buy some VIRTUAL item that I found by luck that I don't need and I will MAKE MONEY from it, who cares. I don't expect to make money with it, but will try it out and if I do make anything, it will just be a bonus.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Just wanted to add that Diablo has random dungeon layouts (not themes!). Don't know if this will be the case in D3 though...
    Yep. The game has some built-in level chunks, and then it can string them together in whatever way it chooses. Each game, things will be slightly different -- there might be different side rooms with additional monsters, different general layout, etc.

Deleted
    The atmosphere and story in the Diablo games is aaawesome !
    When you hear hack 'n slash, you might be dissapointed, because it sounds so simple but it's really quite addictive.

When the player finishes a chapter (done certain quests and visited various places) he is rewarded with a great cut scene, which gives you storytelling wise some kind of insight into the next chapter. I find that very motivating, because the game is not just about collecting items , but about a great story and you REALLY want to know how it ends.

In short: The Diablo games are most definitely a roleplay game too !

The kind of game that will consume my soul in a similar fashion to the 2nd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Keep in mind that if your item doesn't sell, Blizzard refunds the listing price.
    They do? Well that's a relief. Thought it was going to be a huge stress seeing your money going to waste when your stuff doesn't sell.
    Got a link to that btw? Would like a more up to date description of the feature. Last time I read about it was when it was anounced.

Deleted
    Diablo 3 is a Hack and Slash rpg and is not an mmorpg.
    /thread
    kkthxbai

Hack and slash online RPG (sounds spiffy)
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted

Torchlight better than diablo? Mate, what drugs are you on? I want some of it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassfarmer View Post
    In my opinion D3 is not an MMORPG

Websters online dictionary states: They "...allow thousands of gamers to play in the game's evolving virtual world at the same time via the Internet.

Now this brings up two topics of debate, *Useing wow as a MMORPG example.

1. Evolving Virtual World?
    -WoW's world has evolved from when it was in vanilla
    -Diablo 2 had a new act when the expansion came out is that really an evolving world? (D2 example for lack of playing D3)

2. At The Same Time
    -In Wow you can have a thousand+ players on one realm (or world)
    -Diablo 3 can only have 4 people in a game... but can have thousands of people playing their virtual world online... so does that count?

If you include a "perpetual world" in your definition then D3 is 100% not an MMORPG considering the game world does not exist unless someone makes a game.
    Has anyone even claimed D3 to be a MMORPG? No.

As pretty much everyone's said, hack n slash rpg. Though personally, I think it's definitely starting to blur the lines, Diablo 3 could have easily been made to fit the basic assumptions of an mmorpg if they didn't limit it to co-op between 2-4 people (and even then that's rather pushing it, as in a broad sense you can pair up with anyone you want to play, it's more the limit of how many different people can be playing together at the same time on the same server/place).

ABMMO= Action Bling MMO to be precise.