Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

What made you love GW?

Basicly the title. I've personally only tried it as a trial, and truth be told, I wasnt too into it. I honestly never gave it much thought until recently when I started to look around online about GW2, and seeing how awesome it seemed, I decided to try out the first game, just to get some background/ and what to expect. But letting a 10 hour trial shape my whole image of the game/series would just seem rather buffoonish, so im asking you guys; what made you like Guild Wars so much?

Sorry if this isnt in the right forum, it just seemed rather appropriate!

10+ Year Old Account
    Love at first sight. Played at a friends house, went out and bought it myself a few days later.

I liked the fact that player skill was the most important aspect in clearing content/ pvp, not just having the next tier of gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    The lack of the holy trinity, the character personal story, and dynamic event's really got me interesting in Guild Wars 2 at first. I played GW1 at launch a little but didn't get into it, but I'm trying it again and I have a lot more respect for it than I did then.

The Action style combat, The way skills work, and PvP was just icing on the cake to get me into it.

Basically GW2 made me love GW1 again, I couldn't really understand it when I was 14.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Love at first sight. Played at a friends house, went out and bought it myself a few days later.

I liked the fact that player skill was the most important aspect in clearing content/ pvp, not just having the next tier of gear.
    Isn't this very precisely NOT the case in GW1? You may call it semantics, but having to 'quest' for the overpowered abilities instead of a piece of gear with stats, seems pretty much the same to me.

Those with superior abilities won... period...

-Alamar

10+ Year Old Account
    I never played GW1, and I won't. Here's my deal with GW2

I'm a 6 year WoW vet. I played many a long night and enjoyed my years with great friends. Cata hit, and itbasically killed the game for me (add in school and heavy workload and there's nothing you can do in WoW.) I quit about 7 months ago and for a while I figured I was just done with MMO's. My sister (who introduced me to WoW originally) showed me some videos of GW2 and I was captivated by the gameplay. After reading up on it more and seeing how deep the stories go, the dynamic events, the different class' uniqueness. It's an all around amazing, fresh, new game. And I personally can't wait to get my hands on it.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

I tried GW1 and while I saw a number of good aspects to it (the story is good, borrowed the novels from a co-worker), I was more of a WoW person. For GW2 I was caught by the gameplay, story and the classes. It seems like it is going to be an excellent game that combines aspects that are both comfortable and new/engaging. I just wish they would announce the final class (which has to be mesmer due to the lore) and finish up their preparations. I want to play already.

While I fully acknowledge that it might be a disappointment I really hope for the best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    Isn't this very precisely NOT the case in GW1? You may call it semantics, but having to 'quest' for the overpowered abilities instead of a piece of gear with stats, seems pretty much the same to me.

-Alamar
    You could unlock everything trough pvp. In fact if you were active in GvG and HA you would end up so much Balthazar faction that you never had problem unlocking new skills and just used your faction points to unlock random skills because hitting cap.

10+ Year Old Account

Um... No... You can have the best build in the world but if you don't know how to use it properly you will fail every time. In fact, there is no one perfect build. Everything has something to counter or compete with it.

I don't get where this "having to quest for the overpowered abilities" thing is coming from though...
    Last edited by Blznsmri; 2011-11-03 at 09:01 PM.

-Alamar
    You don't have to quest for the abilities. These "superior" abilities that let you win are very easily available from different skill trainers.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Guildwars Noob thats my impression so far:

i did it like you. i was looking for alternatives and tried the trialversion. I only saw very few things on the starterarea and liked it so far. I bought Prophecies then to get into it..but after several hours i noticed some wierd stuff.

i played 2 chars up to lvl 10.. while i did the gear didnt change much. Mobs dropped only weapons..most of them kinda weak. i got a few violet items so far but all of them werent that great. You cant loot armorpieces (at least as far as i got). The only upgrades comes from NPC were you need to trade stuff and gold to get it. All were the same as my startergear only with more armorpoints. So i almost saw no progression on my gear wich is kinda discouraging.

Questprogression seems kinda inconvenient. I did quests till a point when i just couldnt beat the Mobs and died several times. 5 of my 6 quests were in that area..so i tried the last one wich led to other much much more easier quests in another area. Theres no indicator to let you know "do this next" or "this quest is dangerous for your level".

Skills you learn are strange distributed.. while one class only has single target skills in the beginning and almost no AOE another class has only AOE and few singletargetnukes. I realy like my ranger but it takes ages to kills Trashpacks compared to my elementalmage.

I googled several classes only to learn that most of the Skills wich seem the most fun and the most benefit comes from other addons wich i dont posess. The basic Skills of prophecies seem kinda basic and it feels like there is something missing. Only limited chances to do comboattacks.

Maybe i got it all wrong but thats my opinion so far.. can anyone tell me if this the way it will always be or will it get better later?
    Last edited by Uriel; 2011-11-03 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like it :/ Sadly.

- you can finally jump
    - the art and graphics
    - the community
    - the direction it took compared to other mmo's
    - the idea of everything moving when attacking (I hate standing still, its why I loved playing feral is there is alot of moving)

Quote Originally Posted by Khaidu View Post
    - you can finally jump
    - the art and graphics
    - the community
    - the direction it took compared to other mmo's
    - the idea of everything moving when attacking (I hate standing still, its why I loved playing feral is there is alot of moving)
    I think you misread the title. :)

Being successful in Guild Wars depended on how good at the game you were instead of what tier of gear you were using. I really liked the story of all 3 campaigns and the expansion. From being betrayed and conquering the titans to defeating Shiro to destroying a god; I found it all rather entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Maybe i got it all wrong but thats my opinion so far.. can anyone tell me if this the way it will always be or will it get better later?
    Buy Nightfall. Get heroes. Prophecies has the slowest start and is the least user-friendly.

Gear in Guild Wars is only there to mitigate damage too. Once you get max gear, your only incentive to change gear is for cosmetic appeal.

Skills are bought from trainers outside from the first 5-10. The first few trainers won't have all the skills available to the profession you choose (unless you've already unlocked all the normal skills/ bought a pvp unlock pack). Trainers in Elona can't teach you skills from Cantha or visa versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    prophecies can indeed be a bit overwhelming. Also, the Quest/Mission system is a lot different from the usual levelling system.
    I can see how some people won't like it at first.

As for me, I loved it
    I played since the beginning, and it really felt like an adventure
    The pvp is hands down the best I've played in any online rpg.
    The fact that everyone is on the same level, same gear, 8 skills is awesome.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Breordran View Post
    Basicly the title. I've personally only tried it as a trial, and truth be told, I wasnt too into it. I honestly never gave it much thought until recently when I started to look around online about GW2, and seeing how awesome it seemed, I decided to try out the first game, just to get some background/ and what to expect. But letting a 10 hour trial shape my whole image of the game/series would just seem rather buffoonish, so im asking you guys; what made you like Guild Wars so much?

Sorry if this isnt in the right forum, it just seemed rather appropriate!
    i'm a little confused as to wether you're talking bout GW as in GW1 or GW2 since you've mentioned it right before.

as for GW2 :
    pretty much everything except sylvari.

GW1 :
    -skill "hunting" & builds system (so much better than buying heal lvl1-2-3-4-etc)
    -graphics (yeah prophecies wasn't all that bad at all at that time, and i'd say it's still great in some areas)
    -PvP balance
    -henchmen (better use them than group with someone who doesn't know how to play), replaced by heroes with nightfall xpac
    -variety of places, each xpac (well except for eotn) had its own continent and culture which inspired it

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it right when it released and for about 2 years after that. After I started playing WoW among other mmos, I realized that I liked GW1 because I didn't know better. I still play GW1 every now and then for HoM, but besides that the game sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I still play GW1 every now and then for HoM, but besides that the game sucks in my opinion.
    Fixed for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Fixed for you.
    No need to do that, it is easy for people to tell the difference between an opinion and fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    No need to do that, it is easy for people to tell the difference between an opinion and fact.
    Since people often assert their opinions as fact, while dismissing others opinions as wrong since they disagree, or dismissing facts as opinions, it's not as easy as you make it seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.