Thread: Rated PvP

10+ Year Old Account

Rated PvP

So i was thinking what kind of system will BW make for Pvp rating. I for one hope it won't be Rated Arenas and instead they will go with a more stat based system for battlegrounds. For example, you get points for killing, assisting, healing done, dmg done, capturing strategic places, and ofc winning. What would you like it to be?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    So i was thinking what kind of system will BW make for Pvp rating. I for one hope it won't be Rated Arenas and instead they will go with a more stat based system for battlegrounds. For example, you get points for killing, assisting, healing done, dmg done, capturing strategic places, and ofc winning. What would you like it to be?
    Personally I just hope they have a few flavors. I think Arena's have their place as well as Battleground scenarios. What is most important to me is that what ever system they come up, their maps and objectives are fun. Im really tired of capture the flag and Im totally stoked for HuttBall as that seems to break the mold considering you can pass the objective.

15+ Year Old Account
    well with the huttball for example, i think it would be neat to have some sort of small group(squad maybe like 4-5 per team) and have "sport" type battlegrounds, just like huttball.

As long as it's nothing like the vanilla WoW pvp rating system, I'll be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    As long as it's nothing like the vanilla WoW pvp rating system, I'll be happy.
    What? You didn't like the weekly ladder system that put your play time/wins against everyone else? Hahaha. To be honest though, it made Grand Marshals and High Warlords highly respected.

I would love to see one BG where the last player standing team win the round. A game could include a couple rounds like 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5. Like Counter-Strike, it would have a quick objective to get the player move around. It would be fun and exciting to watch the last players work there way 2 vs 2, 1 vs 2, etc.

As for the rated part, i would implement rated BG in the first couple of months (2 or 3) following release to get the people to know there class, role, etc and then implement arenas. I just love small scale pvp because i feel I have a lot more control in the outcome of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will there be arena style rated games as well? Would love to see how Bioware make that unique to TOR. Also like the idea of the OP to make a points based system on wat u achieve like healing, capping a flag, reviving someone, killing someone and etc. Could be fun.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

10+ Year Old Account
    I am all for them taking their time to implement. I would rather they get to see how pvp unfolds and base their ratings system on some actual live server data.

If they do make arenas, hopefully they are just another way to play and not the primary focus of balance. I like the arena concept, but I never really enjoyed WoW's version.
    I like sandwiches

If you take a look at TotalBuiscits video of the trooper pvp gameplay in the Alderaan warzone you will see he has an experience bar called Valor ranks that goes up when you do warzones. It seems to be just as the RvR experience system they used in Warhammer for those that have played that.

Exactly how it works, I dont know, but at least its clearly visible that you level up through warzones in our own system called the Valor Rank system

Deleted
    I think huttball-tournaments every few months would be hillarious. Other than that i don't really need a ranking system ... it would show how crappy i am in pvp

Huttball tourneys would be awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild vs Guild
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there a pvp rank system (like vanilla WoW) where you purchase gear based on your rank, instead of currency?

I would love to an arena like system in ToR. It's the one thing that kept me mildly interested in WoW even after I gave up on PvE. From what I understand they are actually planning to have rated battlefronts.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arena style PvP in an MMO is garbage.

It's a constant rollercoaster ride and any MMO that ever has it again will be a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post

It's a constant rollercoaster ride and any MMO that ever has it again will be a pass.
    Yet it's so addicting. Mind you Bioware seems to be less pedantic about separating how abilities work in PvE and PvP.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

Quote:
    Q: Will there be any kind of arena system? If so, which brackets will it support? - Inquiescent

A: ‘Arena System’ has come to mean two different things depending on the context: Single Elimination PvP game mode and Ranking/Tournament Systems. Whether or not we add that game mode to The Old Republic’s current lineup (domination, assault and bombing run) is TBD. However, one of the top things on our list for post launch is a rated Warzone system where players can form teams, earn team ratings, earn individual ratings, as well as participate in tournaments, etc.
    http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post

I think the main problem with Arena style PvP is the balancing issues.

On the PvP front I would rather see the devs put time into Balancing the Warzones and Open World PvP objectives and stay away from small scale 1v1 2v2 4v4 balancing.

It would be a waste of resources IMO to implement this and try to counter the always overpowered spec/combos that arise.

Could see the posts now "4 v 4 Arena - How does my team beat sabercleave?"

Larger scale PvP is much more interactive and just downright fun if you have people and its done correctly (that is the key no?).

Some of my fondest memories in MMOs, are the old Vanilla WoW days Tarren Mill versus Southshore battles. For those of you who don't know what this was. It was an extremely large number of people ALL levels battling it out in the area between southshore and Tarren Mill in Hillsbrad.

No honor, no tokens, no rewards, just 50 vs 50 PvP. It was absolute madness and fun as hell.

Deleted
    8V8 Is alot easier to balance than balancing 2v2/3v3/5v5 and 8v8 all at the same time.

I wouldnt be surprised if some sort of 4v4 arena system was put in eventually, but quite frankly warzones and objective based pvp is alot more fun and tactically challenging that the standard kill your opponents and win arena system in 'other' mmo's currently

edit* what jearle said i should read all posts first
    Last edited by mmoca72bb9769b; 2011-11-04 at 02:36 PM.