10+ Year Old Account
    Never really been a fan of the NGT guys but this dude is on the dot, 100% accurate on the state of the game is right now

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Sorry but i dont enjoy made up ranks in a game thats trying to simulate military combat. Its not hard to make a decent rank system, they did it in BF2, there wasnt any of thise private 1 star, private 2 star, private 3 star shit. Its stupid to be high 20s rank wise only to realize oh im some made up NCO rank that doesnt really exist, and trust me tuesday i wont be playing this much longer untill the map pack comes out.
    Since when Battlefield ever tried to simulate military combat at all? O.o

It has always been a very arcade game shooter with some sort of pseudo-realism (lol even at that, maybe with bullet dropping), just that it's emphasis has been in combined arms compared to infantry warfare compared of it's competitors infantry warfare.

Sure it has had heavy emphasis on team play and still does, but if that's a hallmark of simulation then the definition itself needs a wee bit reworking. I'd understand the rant if it was about games like ArmA but it's not.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Since when Battlefield ever tried to simulate military combat at all? O.o

It has always been a very arcade game shooter with some sort of pseudo-realism (lol even at that, maybe with bullet dropping), just that it's emphasis has been in combined arms compared to infantry warfare compared of it's competitors infantry warfare.

Sure it has had heavy emphasis on team play and still does, but if that's a hallmark of simulation then the definition itself needs a wee bit reworking. I'd understand the rant if it was about games like ArmA but it's not.
    Im sorry but almost everyone iv seen thats been gushing over this games goes " oh its such a realistic shooter". So im going off that shit. Pretty anoying since iv been in the military to see this halfassed rank system. But hey what do i know.

Names of a ranks is the last thing I even noticed in BF3, the rest of the game must be pretty damn amazing for such a minor thing to be worth posting about.
    Not just the names of ranks but the way they look, there is no private 1 star, 2 star, 3 star in any US military. There is also an entire NCO rank that does not exist thats in this game, its a bit stupid IMO. Wouldnt have been hard to make a real rank system.

Deleted
    Not just the names of ranks but the way they look, there is no private 1 star, 2 star, 3 star in any US military. There is also an entire NCO rank that does not exist thats in this game, its a bit stupid IMO. Wouldnt have been hard to make a real rank system.
    It is like that so it is easier to split up the unlocks between levels, and to give longevity to the game for the achievement whores.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post
    Hey guys. I've a question for you, now I know this might not be the right place to post it but I'm gonna try anyway and hope I dont get flammed. Now my problem is I'm no computer expert and therefor I'm quite unless wheater my pc is able or unable to run BF3 smooth. I tried to take the test on Geforce, but for some reason the GPU analyzer is unable to determine my grapichs hardware. This is my pc specc:
    Windows 7,
    Intel Core Duo E8400
    4 GB RAM: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5
    Inno3D GeForce GTX260
    Here is the link to the system requirements. The thing is just I don't know where I belong. http://www.geforce.com/GamesandApps/...emRequirements
    Any answer is appiciated. Cheers!
    the cpu at least should be fine if you overclock the hell out of it (I ran mine at 4 ghz at that time), graphics card isnt the best but should at least run the game

Quote Originally Posted by Byrogan View Post
    Never really been a fan of the NGT guys but this dude is on the dot, 100% accurate on the state of the game is right now
    This is pretty much how I feel. I don't play TDM though.

What NCO rank in the game doesn't exist? (excluding the stars tacked on) All of the ranks in the game (again, excluding stars) exist in the Marine Corps, which happens to be the branch being played in this game.

Furthermore, the stars were put in place to add longevity to the leveling system, nothing more. It wasn't put in place to reduce immersion. Saying something like "everyone says it's a realistic shooter" and taking that to the extreme about even the ranks seems a bit droll and far fetched. The ranks are all real, in the real order and stop at Colonel, which would be the highest ranking person to actually be on the battlefield (in combat).
    Last edited by JustintimeSS; 2011-11-06 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    What NCO rank in the game doesn't exist? (excluding the stars tacked on) All of the ranks in the game (again, excluding stars) exist in the Marine Corps, which happens to be the branch being played in this game.

Furthermore, the stars were put in place to add longevity to the leveling system, nothing more. It wasn't put in place to reduce immersion. Saying something like "everyone says it's a realistic shooter" and taking that to the extreme about even the ranks seems a bit droll and far fetched. The ranks are all real, in the real order and stop at Colonel, which would be the highest ranking person to actually be on the battlefield (in combat).

Why didnt they just make it harder to rank up and use the BF2 system, i didnt see any of these star ranks there and it worked out fine. Yes it took several months to even hit major but still much better than seeing kids at colonel before a whole week has passed. And exucse me about the last nco rank i didnt realize the marines added a whole nother chevron to the bottom for their e9 rank.

It is like that so it is easier to split up the unlocks between levels, and to give longevity to the game for the achievement whores.
    There are plenty of levels that dont reward anything but a new set of tags, so i dont see why they needed to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrogan View Post
    I just stopped listening when he spoke about mortar from safe zones (mortar back?), and flashlights being too bright (it's a mechanic, that is balanced - health doesnt exist in real life and if it did it wouldn't regenerate) We also don't carry unlimited parachutes in real life, nor do our soldiers carry them 100% of the time and have them ready to use constantly. Essentially if it wasn't flash lights (quite a cool idea really, it's an annoyance but it is combatible), it would be flashbangs, entire rooms of people completely dazed and blinded and deafened, certain that that would be more annoying.

I wouldn't disagree that it is the state of the game but he makes it sound negative, he completely misses over the important op weapons. Mortar? Learn to not stand still. The op weapons are the no recoil f2000, coupled with the insanely op irnv scope, not a flashlight that is serving its purpose, and would only be replaced by something equally as annoying but not as cool. The annoying thing isn't players not playing the game properly, it's the fact that games end in 10 minutes. Tickets should be double/tripple what they are now.

Completely disagree with him, I think he just dislikes parts of the game, that aren't broken. I think he gets annoyed when he is killed by a mortar. But if he had a support person with him (what I play), I can easily set up a mortar and counter mortar in seconds, killing them in literally seconds. The flashlight is the equivalent of the flashbang, there will always be something there, and I think the flashlight is a fun and different mechanic. Thats his opinion on the game, he misses over things that are actually broken, it's mostly a rant.

---------- Post added 2011-11-06 at 07:04 PM ----------

Im sorry but almost everyone iv seen thats been gushing over this games goes " oh its such a realistic shooter". So im going off that shit. Pretty anoying since iv been in the military to see this halfassed rank system. But hey what do i know.

You don't just play as US military. The ranks are just names for levels, it could just as simply be Level 1, 2, 3 but they gave it a nice touch, naming the levels with militaristic style psuedonyms. The fact you find that to complain about makes my head hurt.

Nobody is gushing about its realism, they are saying the graphics are the most realistic we have yet for its genre - i.e. fps games in a realistic setting. Don't know who you are hanging around with whos saying that nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Flashlights are fucking annoying in broad daylight. They literally HURT my eyes looking at lame teammates who leave theirs on and shine it in my face. I have to look away all the damn time. THAT makes sense if it's in a dark tunnel but in daylight? Like he said, it's brighter than the sun. And no it's not the most broken or imbalanced thing in the game, but something that makes me physically hurt with no acceptable correlation to my surroundings is weighed above the IRNV scope, the mortars, and assault weapon snipers rifles.

And before you label me a hater, I do love this game. I love it a lot. Right now I have 87 hours logged in the game. I'll stomach the weapon imbalance but brightness of flashlights really bug the shit out of me.
    Last edited by aej; 2011-11-06 at 07:11 PM.

Why didnt they just make it harder to rank up and use the BF2 system, i didnt see any of these star ranks there and it worked out fine. Yes it took several months to even hit major but still much better than seeing kids at colonel before a whole week has passed. And exucse me about the last nco rank i didnt realize the marines added a whole nother chevron to the bottom for their e9 rank.

There are plenty of levels that dont reward anything but a new set of tags, so i dont see why they needed to do this.
    It's just what they decided to do to add a bit of leveling in the game. Truly it is not really that big of a deal. It just seems like you are fishing for either something to complain about or something to argue about. Do you really get upset about something so small as a few more ranks because they wanted to spread it out? What do you gain or lose by having to complete a few extra ranks?

And you don't have to get butthurt and say "excuse me" about the ranks, I was just enlightening you on something you obviously didn't know which you used as a basis to complain about. To top it off, there is actually two E-8's (first sgt and master sgt) and three E-9's in the Marines (Master Guns, Sgt Major and Sgt Major of the Marine Corps).

Look Zeta, we all are aware of your likes and dislikes in this genre. You make it blatantly obvious. I end up agreeing with you for the most part when you have legitimate complaints but this rank structure and leveling fiasco you're going on and on about is silly. There are plenty of other things to complain about that are worthy of trashing, you don't need to stick with this one thing just to argue or fuel your own fire.

The ranking and leveling is fine. Does it need 145 levels? No. Will you or I even see lvl 45 Colonel? Doubtful we will much less 145. So why harp on it? It's how they chose to set their levels up, who cares? Would you feel better if they had only 27 ranks (according to each individual rank of the USMC enlisted/commission) and then had prestige where you do it all over again but gain a star for each prestige?

The flashlights were seriously not needed In this game. The game Is just asking for douche bags to grief people with It.
    I can't wait until MW3 comes out so all of the moronic COD players will leave.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    The flashlights were seriously not needed In this game. The game Is just asking for douche bags to grief people with It.
    I can't wait until MW3 comes out so all of the moronic COD players will leave.
    Like I sad before, I see people saying this and it is just ignorant. BF3 is not some mecca of perfection with an impeccably genius player base. COD coming out will not change anything. There will still be flashlight griefers and people in Conquest worrying about KDR.

Furthermore, just because an element of the game is something you do not like doesn't mean that only COD players are using it. "OH I HATE IRNV SCOPES! WHEN COD COMES OUT ALL THESE IRNV SCOPE KIDDY DOUCHES WILL BE GONE" - No, that's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Like I sad before, I see people saying this and it is just ignorant. BF3 is not some mecca of perfection with an impeccably genius player base. COD coming out will not change anything. There will still be flashlight griefers and people in Conquest worrying about KDR.

Furthermore, just because an element of the game is something you do not like doesn't mean that only COD players are using it. "OH I HATE IRNV SCOPES! WHEN COD COMES OUT ALL THESE IRNV SCOPE KIDDY DOUCHES WILL BE GONE" - No, that's not going to happen.
    It's not being Ignorant, It's telling how It Is. COD people and others jump Into the game and don't play It right. Your not supposed to run around and just only shoot people and not help your team with objectives. I say this because people who play COD are used to deathmatch. No tactics at all, just a point and shoot screw around game.
    Now, they buy BF3 to wait for MW3, and they just go around shooting people and not helping the team with objectives. In BF3 you need tactics to be successful. (Spawn In jet, take off, crash Into the ground within seconds, jet gone).
    In COD, you don't.

It's not being Ignorant, It's telling how It Is. COD people and others jump Into the game and don't play It right. Your not supposed to run around and just only shoot people and not help your team with objectives. I say this because people who play COD are used to deathmatch. No tactics at all, just a point and shoot screw around game.
    Now, they buy BF3 to wait for MW3, and they just go around shooting people and not helping the team with objectives. In BF3 you need tactics to be successful. (Spawn In jet, take off, crash Into the ground within seconds, jet gone).
    In COD, you don't.
    Well this will be the last time I reply to you about this subject because I'm not going to continuously have a back and forth about CODvsBF, this isn't the thread for that. I think you're wrong. I play COD (and since it needs to be said, I play BF3 also) and i do not play the way you are describing. I know 20-30 people who play COD and do not play the way you are describing. It is the GENRE that is becoming like that, not a specific game in the genre.

You can think that as soon as COD releases BF3 will suddenly be the amazing team game it wasn't a week before and you will be wrong. There will still be people tubing, not capping, not defending, flying jets to a point and jumping out, driving away in empty jeeps, worrying about KDR, not reviving, not tossing out ammo/meds, not working with their squad, using flash lights, using IRNV scopes, using RPGs, using the best guns, etc etc. None of that will change and it is really sad (and yes, ignorant) that someone thinks that this is all because of another game and not the actual whole player base of the genre.

That being said, feel free to reply to me in a PM so we don't derail this any longer.

Edit - I understand that there are actual douches who are playing BF3 like KDR window lickers in conquest/rush environments and they will no doubt leave and not be around anymore. So essentially BF3 will be rid of them. But to think the game will somehow change completely due to this is what I'm saying is wrong. There will still be douches (in abundance) to ruin BF3 and no games release will change that unfortunately.
    Last edited by JustintimeSS; 2011-11-06 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    I just stopped listening when he spoke about mortar from safe zones (mortar back?), and flashlights being too bright (it's a mechanic, that is balanced - health doesnt exist in real life and if it did it wouldn't regenerate)
    Stopped listening at this point as you're glossing over some major issues. Yes there are others, but Mortars you can't take out and the ridiculous flashlights that blind you in broad daylight from 50 meters away are definitely top contenders for game breaking bugs/'features'.

---------- Post added 2011-11-06 at 07:59 PM ----------

It's not being Ignorant
    Why do you lie to yourself like this?

Stop with the personal attacks guys.

I agree about the mortars in spawn it is unfair if no one on your team can counter it with one of their own, that being said i still manage to run into the enemy spawn and kill them before my 10 second countdown expires, but that requires alot of effort and they just set it back up again when they respawn.

The flashlights are a minor, they really don't bother me. For the enemy to have a flashlight out they need to have their pistol out and if you have an automatic weapon you can't really loose. They are however in my opinion too bright for the outside.

Really enjoying the game logged nearly 30 hours as an agressive Recon and its a good laugh, i do love sneaking behind "Snipers" and stabbing them up though but thats their own fault for looking into the scope for to long.

Toccs
    Last edited by Toccs; 2011-11-06 at 08:57 PM.

Your not supposed to run around and just only shoot people and not help your team with objectives
    Im sorry i played BF2 long before i ever played COD and i never helped with the objectives. I always went for kills above all else. This arguement is invalid.

You don't just play as US military. The ranks are just names for levels, it could just as simply be Level 1, 2, 3 but they gave it a nice touch, naming the levels with militaristic style psuedonyms. The fact you find that to complain about makes my head hurt.
    Iv only played a bit of tha awful singleplayer and all iv played is US, yes you play other militarys in Multiplayer but i dont see why that matters. Im just not a fan of extending out the ranks to add the illusion of more playability. They should have kept the BF2 system where not only could you NOT hit max rank in under a week, but there was no arbitrary middle ranks between actuall ranks to help draw out game play. The rank system has been a problem since bc1 came out where you could hit max rank in almost a few days, im sorry if i bitch about that but its just stupid. Also i complain about this game because despite the massive amount of hype this game has alot of things wrong with it, and yes i will stop playing it come tuesday so dont suggest that.

The game is amazing only downside and cons of this game are :

1- Jet flares are overpowered tbh we had many rush games that was impossible to down enemy jet while he keeps using it against our stingers and when it's on CD he just fly away while rocket still behind him till flares become avaliable again.
    2- Metro operation ,,what DICE were thinking when they added this map? it's completely unbalanced in rush or conquest mode.
    3- Repair tool need to be nerfed actually, 1-2 eningeers repairing a tank while it's nuking everyone in tactical position can't be dealt with.
    4- spawn loactions need to be fixed, getting killed 4-5 times in row even if you just spwaned in your base isn't fun play.