Thread: Guard and PvE

Guard and PvE

I was just thinking - Guard redirects 50% of incoming damage at a target to you, meaning you could always cut the damage incoming on a tank by half easily. Do you think end game content will be designed around the idea that you will be using Guard on the other tank always? There seems to be some fun strategy behind it's use in PvP, but it seems like the best course of action in PvE would be just to have it up always - if you're the off-tank and not currently taking any damage, it's all good, and even if both of you are tanking damage, it's still a gain because you have 2 chances to avoid some damage - the first player might avoid some, and if he doesn't, 50% will go to the second player, and he has a chance to avoid some too, so it's still a gain overall.

Another thing, if Player A has guard on Player B and vice versa, and Player A takes 100 Damage. 50 of that goes to Player B through Guard, and 50 stays on Player A. Though with Guard from Player B being on Player A, would 25 of that 50 then also transfer back to Player A, and then 12.5 back again, and so forth? I hope you understand my question here, if I am taking 50% of the damage the other guy takes, and he is taking 50% of what I take, then is there a never ending loop of us each taking 50% of a hit that the other took back and forth?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    Another thing, if Player A has guard on Player B and vice versa, and Player A takes 100 Damage. 50 of that goes to Player B through Guard, and 50 stays on Player A. Though with Guard from Player B being on Player A, would 25 of that 50 then also transfer back to Player A, and then 12.5 back again, and so forth? I hope you understand my question here, if I am taking 50% of the damage the other guy takes, and he is taking 50% of what I take, then is there a never ending loop of us each taking 50% of a hit that the other took back and forth?
    I think it would exclude the damage received from Guard. So no matter what, you're taking 50% of the damage the other player would have received. Otherwise Guard would one-shot both of the tanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I think it would exclude the damage received from Guard. So no matter what, you're taking 50% of the damage the other player would have received. Otherwise Guard would one-shot both of the tanks...
    Well it wouldn't, you'd be taking ever smaller amounts of damage - instantaneoussly, and while it would wittle down eventually to some decimal, after a point, I'm sure that would be rounded to 0 - I guess in the long run it would ultimately be 50% damage taken each, so yeah, I guess you are probably right, it's a 50% transference, and that particular damage cannot be transferred back, but any other damage from outside sources could be.

Well it wouldn't, you'd be taking ever smaller amounts of damage - instantaneoussly, and while it would wittle down eventually to some decimal, after a point, I'm sure that would be rounded to 0 - I guess in the long run it would ultimately be 50% damage taken each
    I think it'll work out to the maintank taking 2/3rd of the damage and the offtank 1/3rd according to the convergent series

10+ Year Old Account
    Err if I'm not terribly wrong, Guard also lowers your threat gen, so it would be silly for tanks to swap it, as it would hurt their threatgen (which im hoping will actually matter) it's more likely to end up on THAT dps, you know the one, the floor inspector.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I thought guard only split damage taken from players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PuliGT View Post
    I thought guard only split damage taken from players.
    Yep, it only transfairs damage from enemy players ... thus making this thread obsolete

Well it wouldn't, you'd be taking ever smaller amounts of damage - instantaneoussly, and while it would wittle down eventually to some decimal, after a point, I'm sure that would be rounded to 0 - I guess in the long run it would ultimately be 50% damage taken each, so yeah, I guess you are probably right, it's a 50% transference, and that particular damage cannot be transferred back, but any other damage from outside sources could be.
    I take it uve never playd a MMO, It only halves the dmg taken from a hit, dmg taken from guard does not count as a hit thus it is not halved.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus83 View Post
    Yep, it only transfairs damage from enemy players ... thus making this thread obsolete
    Can u please provide a link to where u read that its only a PVP skill?

Deleted
    I heard it in a video from gamescom ... but you can also read it on betacake.net under "guardian abilitys" ... don't know if i am allowed to link this here because i think its a leak-site ... don't really even know if a am about to write this here ... we'll see if i'm about to get <snip>ed

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus83 View Post
    I heard it in a video from gamescom ... but you can also read it on betacake.net under "guardian abilitys" ... don't know if i am allowed to link this here because i think its a leak-site ... don't really even know if a am about to write this here ... we'll see if i'm about to get <snip>ed
    I found it hmm some of the stuff on that site looks dodgy or even fake

Quote Originally Posted by Saintphoenix View Post
    I take it uve never playd a MMO, It only halves the dmg taken from a hit, dmg taken from guard does not count as a hit thus it is not halved.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 11:14 AM ----------

Can u please provide a link to where u read that its only a PVP skill?
    I take it you've never taken an English lesson?

Why do you always feel the need to insult me when you reply to my posts. It's getting old.

Of course I have played MMOs, but tell me, where is there a mechanic that works like this? The closest I can think of in WoW is the old Divine Guardian, and I don't suspsect it worked like this. I was merely curious about how it worked mechanically, if it would transfer damage back, and ultimately end up with 50/50 or as Lackluster said, with it being 2/3 on one and 1/3 on the other.

I take it you've never taken an English lesson?

Why do you always feel the need to insult me when you reply to my posts. It's getting old.

Of course I have played MMOs, but tell me, where is there a mechanic that works like this? The closest I can think of in WoW is the old Divine Guardian, and I don't suspsect it worked like this. I was merely curious about how it worked mechanically, if it would transfer damage back, and ultimately end up with 50/50 or as Lackluster said, with it being 2/3 on one and 1/3 on the other.
    Well yes wow did have it, and it did work like that, 50% of the targets dmg was redirected to u, but if 2 tanks used it it didnt keep bouncing it, it only works on cutting the dmg on the actual attack and the redirect isnt an attack, and im sorry should i know u, coz i dont, and please show me my poor english other than just internet shorthand?

I had totally forgotten about the old Vigilance, but still, I never really played a warrior, or raid with one, so I was never in a situation to know - nor did I care because it wasn't something in my group setup. As for your English, just for starters, you don't capitalise I, and i is not really any shorter than I.

You don't know me, fine, I recall you because every time you have replied to me, you've gone out of your way to make some sort of insult against me, I don't understand why you are so hostile.

I had totally forgotten about the old Vigilance, but still, I never really played a warrior, or raid with one, so I was never in a situation to know - nor did I care because it wasn't something in my group setup. As for your English, just for starters, you don't capitalise I, and i is not really any shorter than I.

You don't know me, fine, I recall you because every time you have replied to me, you've gone out of your way to make some sort of insult against me, I don't understand why you are so hostile.
    Well yes i is slightly shorter than I and as im used to a pvp environment were u have to type very fast else the information becomes outdated, so excuse me if i don't cap my i, but what i say is still legible

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah I double checked, Guard gives you a 25% threat drop, so putting it on another tank would be a very very bad idea, except for right after a swap if you wanted to make sure they didn't take threat back. Also I think the 50% damage transfer on Guard works in PvE as well, the PvP Part is Taunt, which lowers it's targets damage by 30% in PvP unless they're hitting the person who taunted them. Obviously this wouldn't work in PvE, as when you taunt a mob they turn around and smack you
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30