Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I might end up trying a Sylvari character, I cant help but think "The hippies/ tree huggers are gonna loooove this race". And no, I am not complaining, I like their concept and they are an original take on a race in a saturated genre of MMO.

For some reason though, I cant help but feel like they are a bit too plantlike with their current model update, and I feel that I am not going to have very positive interactions with the majority of people who do play this race...

Anyone else kinda get a vibe like this?
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    While I might end up trying a Sylvari character, I cant help but think "The hippies/ tree huggers are gonna loooove this race". And no, I am not complaining, I like their concept and they are an original take on a race in a saturated genre of MMO.

For some reason though, I cant help but feel like they are a bit too plantlike with their current model update, and I feel that I am not going to have very positive interactions with the majority of people who do play this race...

Anyone else kinda get a vibe like this?
    Not really. I'm going to mostly be playing Charr by choice, but the Sylvari are the "plant humanoids" of Guild Wars 2. I think the way they look now is very unique to them alone. I even dig how they are born during "cycles" and whatnot.

I'll just play a regular human if I don't want to be a plant person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    And a random Sylvari picture-
    why use an pre-redesign screenshot of the Sylvari? they do not look like that anymore. here is an image of the new Sylvari

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    why use an pre-redesign screenshot of the Sylvari? they do not look like that anymore. here is an image of the new Sylvari

<Image>
    Either way, they don't look like "fungus people" though. That was my point...

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Either way, they don't look like "fungus people" though. That was my point...
    though using 1 type of creature from an entirely different type of IP isn't really proving it wrong.

Type in plant/leaf people and look at images,

they do not look like Sylvari either. To me they still just look like people covered in moss and fungal growths
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Okay, maybe not a necromancer but she's got a scythe!

Getting those warm nostalgias now <3
    GW2 needs to hurry up and release so I don't have to keep giving other games my money.

10+ Year Old Account
    why use an pre-redesign screenshot of the Sylvari? they do not look like that anymore. here is an image of the new Sylvari[/IMG]
    Actually, both your images were showcased in the same blog as part of the new design. Yours is just of one special Sylvari, theirs is just of "generic Sylvari body".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Actually, both your images were showcased in the same blog as part of the new design. Yours is just of one special Sylvari, theirs is just of "generic Sylvari body".
    I was about to refute your statement, then I checked the fax and yeah, that's a picture from the redesign.

I think what they had in mind was the one on the other page from prior to the redesign.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    They are a beautiful race. Simply.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I was about to refute your statement, then I checked the fax and yeah, that's a picture from the redesign.

I think what they had in mind was the one on the other page from prior to the redesign.
    Probably. What was mostly added in the redesign was an incredible level of detail. So to a casual glance it's easy to just see two images of "green people with plant hair". Caithe stands out because she's supposed to stand out, because she's unique.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably. What was mostly added in the redesign was an incredible level of detail. So to a casual glance it's easy to just see two images of "green people with plant hair". Caithe stands out because she's supposed to stand out, because she's unique.
    And old, and lezz, and a total bad ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    And old, and lezz, and a total bad ass.
    Yes and all of that too.

Of course, "she's" a plant, so what does she reproduce by budding? Spores? Seeds?

Hmmm...I know Sylvari mimic the gender dynamic(mostly for player reasons) but do they actually have sexes? Capable of reproduction?

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and all of that too.

Of course, "she's" a plant, so what does she reproduce by budding? Spores? Seeds?

Hmmm...I know Sylvari mimic the gender dynamic(mostly for player reasons) but do they actually have sexes? Capable of reproduction?
    They don't reproduce, they just take on the form of a gender. They're really asexual, but have all the necessary parts and functions, minus the spreading of the seed...

Caithe fancies females, and she has the shapeliness of a female, henceforth, we say she's a lesbian. Physically though, she isn't really.

Deleted
    The Sylvari are good because they are an original idea. People want new stuff in this genre which just adds the same stuff that other game had but just gives it a new face to suit their needs.

Original Race in a genre that has been done over and over and over and over and over and over and over (you get my point...) again.

They're also great for roleplay and lore because up until 25 years ago (in game) there weren't any Sylvari, so you feel as if you're shaping what the Sylvari are.
    This, minus the roleplay because I don't really do that; at most I'll work from a concept or theme but that's it. I'm extremely excited to get to experience the development of a new race. To my knowledge it hasn't been done before recently. And no, Spore doesn't count =p
    Even as someone who doesn't want to play Sylvari, it will be interesting to see how they interract with other races.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    Okay, maybe not a necromancer but she's got a scythe!
    *hoping for dervishes as 9th prof*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashim View Post
    This, minus the roleplay because I don't really do that; at most I'll work from a concept or theme but that's it. I'm extremely excited to get to experience the development of a new race. To my knowledge it hasn't been done before recently. And no, Spore doesn't count =p
    Even as someone who doesn't want to play Sylvari, it will be interesting to see how they interract with other races.
    I just hope that RPers can sufficiently understand the difference between "stupid" and "naïve". Last thing I want to see is a bunch of so-called "RPers" running around going: "Derp de derp, I are Sylvari, I not talk gud and cante spel!"

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    link the blog you are referring to 'coz i just went through all the blog posts about the redesign and none of them show the pic i was questioning.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

link the blog you are referring to 'coz i just went through all the blog posts about the redesign and none of them show the pic i was questioning.
    http://www.arena.net/blog/kristen-pe...ng-the-sylvari has the pic you were questioning

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

everytime i see a sylvari, it just reminds me of :

Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    The Sylvari are good because they are an original idea. People want new stuff in this genre which just adds the same stuff that other game had but just gives it a new face to suit their needs.
    i don't see any originality in plant people, not if they're meant to remain in humanoid shape 100% of the time.