Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    The irony in your first statement, Im keeping on topic and agreeing with the OP that the combat looks stiff what's wrong with that? after all as you put it this is a place for discussion.

I have nothing against this game other than its not for me I wont be playing it, my reactions in threads like this are from TOR fans who talk complete rubbish, for instance the post I made that you decided to quote, the TOR fan was talking complete shit so I just gave my opinion.
    If this the game isn't for you, why do you come here?

Obviously there is something of interest here for you. And it can't be discussion about the game if the game doesn't interest you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    If this the game isn't for you, why do you come here?

Obviously there is something of interest here for you. And it can't be discussion about the game if the game doesn't interest you.
    Jesus have you read the thread tittle? that's why I'm here, the op has concerns about the stiff combat so I also agreed, its not like I have come into a general TOR fan thread and started ''dissing'' the game...

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus have you read the thread tittle? that's why I'm here, the op has concerns about the stiff combat so I also agreed, its not like I have come into a general TOR fan thread and started ''dissing'' the game...
    Since the game obviously doesn't interest you at all, why come here at all whether the thread is a TOR fan thread or this? Why bother? Seriously, why bother?
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

How about we not start jumping on each other for their opinions and let them have their opinions, and just stay on topic. Flimsy has one opinion, others have another, it's perfectly fine - and good even for someone of an opposing opinion to come here and discuss the game.

I say it's good because it stops those people all with the same opinion from thinking that they hold the opinion of "everyone", and that anyone else is wrong. It's also good because it may open our eyes to something we hadn't noticed before - in this case, I hadn't noticed before now that indeed there often, compared to WoW, is no flinching animation.

There is occasionally what looks like a flinch, but in WoW, your character is reacting to hits all the time, where as in TOR it is often the case in the videos that people are being struck by lightning or hit by blaster bolts without reacting in any way at all. Now I'm not saying such animations don't exist, we can clearly see avoidance animations here and there of course too, but flinching, if the things we've seen actually are flinches, are much fewer than in WoW, and certainly there are plenty of times you will get hit without any reaction at all.

This isn't a subjective thing to say, it's simply a fact by watching the videos - you don't flinch anywhere near as much as in WoW, and I can understand how some people would see that as strange, even though I personally never noticed it until this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    There is occasionally what looks like a flinch, but in WoW, your character is reacting to hits all the time, where as in TOR it is often the case in the videos that people are being struck by lightning or hit by blaster bolts without reacting in any way at all. Now I'm not saying such animations don't exist, we can clearly see avoidance animations here and there of course too, but flinching, if the things we've seen actually are flinches, are much fewer than in WoW, and certainly there are plenty of times you will get hit without any reaction at all.

This isn't a subjective thing to say, it's simply a fact by watching the videos - you don't flinch anywhere near as much as in WoW, and I can understand how some people would see that as strange, even though I personally never noticed it until this thread.
    It's one of those things that you might not notice at first, but once you do, it's distractingly obvious. Like this:

The horror!

10+ Year Old Account
    Rofl, posts like this are hilarious.

Some of these TOR fans blow my mind.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 12:15 PM ----------

Even that doesn't sell the game for me, not to mention parts of it are clearly cinematics.
    Why is this thread ongoing? The people that want to see something will see it and those that do not, won't. This guy will never be convinced of anything. Just like Mr. Panda, they do not want to see anything good and will never be swayed.

Let us please just end this thread.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 11:34 AM ----------

You expressed your opinion several times now. It has not changed. You are making a point to come back here and reiterate your opinion. This thread needs to end.
    I like sandwiches

For me its just odd that I cant cut through with lightsaber. It might be understandable for players but mobs should get chopped to pieces really.
    That been said, combat is still lightyears ahead of WoW combat. No autoattacks n such

On the basis of that video, I think it looks pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by jtstormrage View Post
    On the basis of that video, I think it looks pretty awful.
    Which video?

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, this thread needs to come to an end. Right now it only attracts people whose only issue is to flame and troll.
    After seeing one video they say it looks awful. Oh really? Let's use that rationale and logic and turn it around. Based on your post, you sound like an idiot.
    I take a glimpse at something and this is my conclusion.

So unless you actually have something constructive to say, stay away from the thread. Since it's obvious you are here only to troll and flame.
    And by you, I mean all of YOU who should be on the WoW forums, not SWTOR.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilim View Post
    I agree, this thread needs to come to an end. Right now it only attracts people whose only issue is to flame and troll.
    After seeing one video they say it looks awful. Oh really? Let's use that rationale and logic and turn it around. Based on your post, you sound like an idiot.
    I take a glimpse at something and this is my conclusion.

So unless you actually have something constructive to say, stay away from the thread. Since it's obvious you are here only to troll and flame.
    And by you, I mean all of YOU who should be on the WoW forums, not SWTOR.
    It is, however, a valid concern. Combat will be an incredibly important part of the game. Right now, to my mind, combat isn't looking that impressive. Even on some of the newer videos.

However, when you get down to it, you can't really judge that well from videos and even Warcrafts combat system can look a little stiff when viewed through a video. Ultimately, this is something that can only really be judged through playing the game.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    However, when you get down to it, you can't really judge that well from videos and even Warcrafts combat system can look a little stiff when viewed through a video. Ultimately, this is something that can only really be judged through playing the game.
    Exactly why this thread needs to end. Really surprised Trolls has let it go this long.

Until you are the one pressing the buttons and controlling movement, there is no way to say how combat looks/feels. Seeing as we are extremely limited to video availability and beta players can't enlighten us further, why even talk about this stuff?
    Last edited by Roose; 2011-11-07 at 06:18 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    So really, neither is perfect, and neither is that noticable unless you're really looking for it - in the heat of battle when you're actually playing and not zoomed right up your character's arse, you aren't going to notice it either way.
    I think thats part of the problem....you don't notice it, but you still observe it. It forms part of the feel of combat - you do an attack and if its successful you get to see some sort of effect. It migth be a small effect, but its still there.

Its a litle thing, but little things build up into big important aspects.

The question here is....if the "flinch" animation is not there, wiull it detarcts eriosuly from the feel and enjoyment of combat in SWToR...and, as I said, not something that can be answered without playing the game.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Mod Note: Some people are coming awfully close to trolling. Cut it out. That goes for everyone. Even if you are defending the game. DO. NOT. TROLL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    It is, however, a valid concern. Combat will be an incredibly important part of the game. Right now, to my mind, combat isn't looking that impressive. Even on some of the newer videos.

EJL
    Exactly this.

I don't understand why everyone has to compare this game to WoW. It's not wow. It's fucking star wars. Play the game for what it's worth and enjoy it.

''The combat feels like Wow witch is realy good.The only thing Blizzard did right was combat and how smooth it looks.''

That's the statement that I replied to that you decided to quote, surely even the biggest TOR fan on the planet can see that's utter bollocks.
    The second half of the quote has nothing to do with TOR, it could be the opinion of any MMO fan, I personally don't think its true either. The first half of the quote is spot on, it does feel like WoW and that is a very good thing.

All the people saying bullshit like "TOR pwns WoW" blah blah just make the rest of us true fans look bad.

I played WoW since beta, still do sometimes to raid with friends, it is a great game that i have great memories in. WoW has brought many changes to the genre, some for the better and some for the worse IMO. I personally do not like the direction the game is going and am a huge fan of Star Wars and BW rpg's so the change is natural for me.

TOR is far from perfect and once the NDA drops I will give my official review. However it is an extremely good game, and as far as sci-fi MMOs go, it will probably be the benchmark in the themepark category. What they do with it post release will be the key to its success longtime. That and listening to the beta feedback of the sensible players.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgbro View Post
    I don't understand why everyone has to compare this game to WoW. It's not wow. It's fucking star wars. Play the game for what it's worth and enjoy it.
    Its an MMO with a combat system that - when you get down to it - appears to bevery similar to that in use by WoW.

Love it or loathe it, combat will be a very important aspect of the game. Bioware have to get more than the mechanics right....the system has to "feel" right as well. WoWs combat system isn't perfect. But it still feels better than the combat system used by its competitors....even when they are very similar in many respects. And what makes or breaks the system is often the little things.

SWTOR is definitely going to be worth checking out. As I said....the videos I've seen have been...IMO...less than impressive but I would say that about WoWs combat videos as well. The feel of the system cannot be demonstrated through video only but the concern that the stiffness seen in some of the combats demos - even some of the new combat demos - will detract from the game is a very valid concern.

It sometimes doesn't take much to make or break a system and we have numerous examples where small "flaws" or poor mechanics in combat can really take the joy out of a game. Even in WoW.

In short - the concern here is a very valid one, but one that cannot be expunged without playing the game. The videos simply aren't impressive enough.

EJL

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Mod Note: Some people are coming awfully close to trolling. Cut it out. That goes for everyone. Even if you are defending the game. DO. NOT. TROLL.
    I think this thread has been over discussed already, it could need a lock.
    The same terrible arguments by a new guy came back 3 times and was demolished 3 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    It's one of those things that you might not notice at first, but once you do, it's distractingly obvious. Like this:

The horror!
    thats his hand.. You can count 4 fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post

All the people saying bullshit like "TOR pwns WoW" blah blah just make the rest of us true fans look bad.
    So I'm not a true fan if I think "TOR pwns WoW"? Hmm I didn't know you were the one who wrote the dictionary entry of what a true fan is.

People arn't allowed to hate WoW and like something else? Do I not truely like pizza because I hate WoW? Just because you don't hate WoW doesn't mean that nobody can no matter how much you want it to be.

Anyways, more on topic. I was fooled into thinking the combat looked a little stiff when I watched some videos/interviews. After looking a little further my fears were diminished when I realized that the specific ones I was judging the combat on were actually from 2009/2010. I soon started to see more updated combat and it has certainly improved to the point wher it looks fine.

I'm not gonna say they are the best combat graphics I have ever seen in a virtual reality but they are certainly the best I have seen from an MMORPG.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.