Deleted

Mana regen question? also do we really need so much mana? Disc

First off I was wondering if there is any form of chart or something that would show me roughly how much of my mana would regen in combat over X amount of time with X amount of intellect and spirit, I'm not so good at maths but I would like to know roughly how much extra mana I had available per fight excluding raid abilities or cooldowns, an example would be like how world of logs shows regen from abilities.

One of the reasons why this sparked my interest is because in my mind my own mana pool is finite, what I start with is all I have not including cooldowns, rapture, or raid regen, I have virtually no passive regen when compared to other priests due to my low spirit count of 1145 http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nitro/advanced but still I find I can do my job and have mana left over even on progression fights in 10 man heroics.

I should say before raid healers start saying its not possible that my guild 2 heals most bosses Disc Priest / Resto Druid, and that I am tank healing and spec-ed for it, I have no doubt that full time raid healers may require more regen.

When firelands began I seen the lack of spirit cloth gear as a challenge, I was hoping that mana was going to be an issue again like it was supposed to be this expansion, but it turned out you always had enough mana regen even with the low drop rates. So looking for a challenge I went and started dropping all the spirit I could bit by bit till now where I am at the point that I can't physically drop any more spirit without ditching tier items or rep ring and still I feel like I have enough control over my mana to heal most fights.

In my case for my spec, role, and play style mana doesn't seam to be much of an issue and hasn't reduced my ability to heal either after all if I don't run out of mana then the reduced points in spirit roll directly over into haste, mastery, and crit.

I have some logs from 2 to 3 weeks ago if you want to take apart my healing but the recent ones are not worth looking at due to guild / raid issues... lots of fails even on normal

Shannox HC
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h...e/?s=658&e=936

LR HC
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h...?s=2056&e=2388

Alys HC
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/t...?s=2417&e=3273

Domo HC - this is a single healer fight isn't it? I'm not atonement but I did dps anyways.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l...?s=7853&e=8299

Raggy normal
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/5...?s=6637&e=7064
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l...=10730&e=11126

So I suppose the question is, can this style of playing with very low spirit and more conservative healing but higher main stats match that of a standard build during an Heroic encounter or any encounter for that matter.

Throughput vs regen, and more controlled healing vs the ability to cast more. Two sides of the same coin which is better?
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2011-11-08 at 01:10 AM.

Deleted
    i think you should really take into account how are others in your raid playing. if you have guild full of skilled raiders, you can get away with very little spirit, which is great. spirit just sucks for disc. but if your guildies like to stand in fire, get more stacks of debuffs than they should, or generally things go shitty regularly, go for more spirit. I'm at 2k spirit right now, which little bit more than i would want, but i like the freedom to throw more heals. 1700-1800 might be optimal for most people out there.

Deleted
    I think spirit is almost no issue for disc anymore with the insane mana reg from rupture an fiend with ever growing manapools. And I´m pretty sure once you hit full T13 or even T13h it will be almost imposible to go oom even without any spirit like back in ICC

I've tried healing with both max and min spirit for my gear. I honestly did not feel a difference between the two mana-wise due to spirit. Rapture provides enough regen IMO that if you know the encounter and the damage outputs, you can effectively heal with a minimal amount of spirit. (10man experience tho)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaherb View Post
    i think you should really take into account how are others in your raid playing. if you have guild full of skilled raiders, you can get away with very little spirit, which is great. spirit just sucks for disc. but if your guildies like to stand in fire, get more stacks of debuffs than they should, or generally things go shitty regularly, go for more spirit. I'm at 2k spirit right now, which little bit more than i would want, but i like the freedom to throw more heals. 1700-1800 might be optimal for most people out there.
    For the most part our guild end up doing things that make the healers work more generally because we can't get decent dps, 6 of the 10 raiders are stable core members that have been with the guild for a while the other 4 dps and 3th healer if needed spots we have had issues with since the last few months of wrath up till now. We generally take our backups or trials both are not stable in their dps, gear, or intelligence.

Most fights tend to go on much longer then they are supposed to so in a way myself and our other healers have been getting training in extreme healing for a long time and things go shitty all the time, like this week instead of progressing on heroics we struggled to kill even normal mode bosses.

So even with all the disasters and needing to heal more I still haven't found mana to be a concern, which is the exact opposite to what most people would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawl View Post
    I think spirit is almost no issue for disc anymore with the insane mana reg from rupture an fiend with ever growing manapools. And I´m pretty sure once you hit full T13 or even T13h it will be almost imposible to go oom even without any spirit like back in ICC
    The funny thing is that as ilvl goes up when you have full T13 you will have more spirit on those items alone even fully reforged out than is required by some healers now, I would guess at around 1500 ish spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey View Post
    I've tried healing with both max and min spirit for my gear. I honestly did not feel a difference between the two mana-wise due to spirit. Rapture provides enough regen IMO that if you know the encounter and the damage outputs, you can effectively heal with a minimal amount of spirit. (10man experience tho)
    Did you notice any change in throughput though considering the extra main stats you could take over spirit.

In any case I was still wondering if anyone knows of a program or spread sheet that would show ( how much of my mana would regen in combat over X amount of time with X amount of intellect and spirit ) after I know this I can use a log to get an encounters length and extra mana gained during that fight then total them all up to give me roughly all the mana I had available.

Then do a bit of tedious spell counting to find out how much mana was used and match them up, minus the reduced mana cost buffs the results should be close enough to give a good idea of where I can improve.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2011-11-09 at 06:55 PM.