Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunks View Post
    MoP reminds me of anime, which is something I despise. I bet the sets are going to be asian styled as well, and seeing ninjas, samurai and stuff like that would make me go insane. I have nothing against the asian people, I respect but dislike their culture. I just don't want to play a game that looks so... animeish.
    Except Anime is Japanese. MoP is Chinese.

Still won't agree that an Asian-themed land doesn't work in WoW. I see no reason why it doesn't. Night Elves already have architecture that is Asian-styled.

Yeah... no. I don't agree at all. I just don't see PANDAS as bloodthirsty warriors (I know what you're going to say now, "BUT WE PLAY COWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH PANDAS IF WE PLAY COWS XOXOXOXOXO=!!!=!!()")!(#/!#/(!!=?#!"!??!"!?"!"?!"!?"!?"!".

In reality they're big almost extinct creatures due to lack of re-production (pandas actually have to learn how to have sex and their inability to reproduce every once in a while has seriously hurt them) who eat 23/7 of the week. So forgive me if I don't see pandas as heroic. It doesn't get any better that they're already associated to Kung Fu panda.

Hissatsu! Tenno Heika Banzai!

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    Oh right. Thanks for clearing that up. I think you're 100% right, they should perhaps ease it in with something like the Inuit Tuskaar, the Aboriginal Tauren, the Barbarous Orcs, the Japanese/Roman Night Elves, the Ancient African Trolls, etc. first. Once they did all that, then maybe all those Caucasians who play, and who are apparently the only relevant players, will be okay with pandas.

I think you're definitely right. I'm incredibly uncomfortable with asians. That's why I, and my other white gamer friends, haven't spent endless hours playing japanese games like final fantasy.

In all fairness and with a bit less sarcasm, I do do some incredibly inappropriate things to my asian girlfriend on a regular basis.
    The difference is, you're playing Final Fantasy which you knew going in, is a Japanese game. You've already accepted Japanese things. WoW is not that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you understood what was going on in Uldum at all...

It's exotic to see your white buddy marry a chinese girl and definitely eyebrow-raising
    Nope?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K_night View Post
    Except the night elves don't look asian. The architecture of their capital city doesn't look japanese at all. compare that against the pandarien where their entire starting zone, town, and everything screams chinese.

The very FIRST thing a Night Elf will see when entering their race's largest city.

Hey - I'm totally cool with it too. The only point I'm trying to drive home here is, inter-racial marriages are slowly coming into play...but it still was something is gradual, not a sudden surge by any stretch.

If you ease something in, it's a lot simpler for the masses to see, accept, and so on. If you suddenly shove something at someone without giving them time to mull it over, you get what we're seeing with the MoP hate.
    Perhaps, but keep in mind there was a lot of people clammering to have the pandas as a playable race. Do people hate the new xpac because of the theme? Possibly, but referring to the OP's post that does not make them a racist. I believe where it stems is from the sudden theme change. Vanilla...well...you had Warcraft. With Burning Crusade, you had space goats and a different planet that still felt like Warcraft. Wrath of the Lich King...Warcraft on Ice. Cataclysm; they took a giant hammer to their design (so to speak) and you got furries and goblins, but it still felt like Warcraft. Mists of Pandera...an Asia themed xpac that supposedly brings a refresher to the alliance/horde conflict, and gives another furry....but it still feels like...oh wait.

On the bright side, you still get to kick your opposing faction's ass...with another furry. I suppose you could use that race as the counter argument to the horde whiners (not saying ALL horde, but to those who actually complained about this) squealing that they should have gotten the first set of furries. Well...they got a furry alright. Just, not what some were expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Standsinfire View Post
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by noepeen View Post
    If that were my dog, I'd Hulk Smash the fuck out of that raccoon.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP reminds me of anime, which is something I despise. I bet the sets are going to be asian styled as well, and seeing ninjas, samurai and stuff like that would make me go insane. I have nothing against the asian people, I respect but dislike their culture. I just don't want to play a game that looks so... animeish.
    MoP has literally zero in common with anime. Zero.

Not only is Anime Japanese (and Chinese and Japanese cultures are VASTLY different), but MoP has like NO stylistic or cultural similarities with Anime at all.

If you're making a decision, at least don't do so out of misconceptions and ignorance.

P.S. Before you think I'm defending the expansion: I dislike MoP and don't plan on buying it.

P.P.S This topic reeks of mild xenophobia. It will go very very bad at one point. I hope it gets locked asap.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind people, Night Elves look kinda asian, yes, but they have their own zone. You can simply avoid/forget it, since the game isn't based around them. MoP on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    MoP has literally zero in common with anime. Zero.

Not only is Anime Japanese (and Chinese and Japanese cultures are VASTLY different), but MoP has like NO stylistic or cultural similarities with Anime at all.

If you're making a decision, at least don't do so out of misconceptions and ignorance.

P.S. Before you think I'm defending the expansion: I dislike MoP and don't plan on buying it.
    I dislike it anyway. It's not misconception, it's not ignorance, it's my opinion. Asian culture reminds me of anime. I don't want it.
    "I have taught you many ways to kill a mortal, Kratos. Flesh that burns, bones that break. But to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltronn
    GIRL BETTER BE QUIET MAKIN MA SAMMICH... ¬.¬

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Except Anime is Japanese. MoP is Chinese.

Still won't agree that an Asian-themed land doesn't work in WoW. I see no reason why it doesn't. Night Elves already have architecture that is Asian-styled.
    Yes that's right, anime is Japanese, not Chinese. But that is not going to change his mind. Asians can tell the difference between each other, but non-asians...not so much. he's not going to suddenly take an interest in Chinese comics.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettshock View Post
    The very FIRST thing a Night Elf will see when entering their race's largest city.
    I agree the night elf's buildings usually look somewhat Asian. Also i think it might be a good game i dont like the pokeymon idea and yes i have over 100 pets on 1 of my characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure if troll.

I think the real "unspoken" reason for the panda hate is the fact that most younger players don't understand that the pandaren have been a part of the lore for a long long time. Blizz almost added them in BC. All they can think about is kung-fu panda. =((((

the blizzcon demo was great though. I'm just glad to be moving on from cata. stormwind is getting real boring.

I've been known to make the occasional tag. PM me a ss, and if I like it I'll make you 1

10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike it anyway. It's not misconception, it's not ignorance, it's my opinion. Asian culture reminds me of anime. I don't want it.
    You are free to dislike it.

But I reserve the right to question your intellect when you say you don't like it because of something it has nothing in common with.

It's like if I said I won't eat rice because it reminds me of potatoes.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Keep in mind people, Night Elves look kinda asian, yes, but they have their own zone. You can simply avoid/forget it, since the game isn't based around them. MoP on the other hand...

And this opinion is not wrong. It's something that I'm seeing with many people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    I agree the night elf's buildings usually look somewhat Asian. Also i think it might be a good game i dont like the pokeymon idea and yes i have over 100 pets on 1 of my characters.
    The pet-battle system isn't mandatory. You can go the entire expansion without touching it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane Falcon View Post
    You're completely right. As a white American who plays video games for most of the day, I can't think of a single person who I've ever encountered online who enjoys samurai, anime, or anything more asian than shooting Charlie out of his tree. Your rant is completely accurate and not the least bit fueled by personal bias whatsoever.
    +1 So glad this guy got this in there first

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes that's right, anime is Japanese, not Chinese. But that is not going to change his mind. Asians can tell the difference between each other, but non-asians...not so much. he's not going to suddenly take an interest in Chinese comics.
    We're not talking about Chinese and Japanese people. We're talking about Anime, which has a very distinctive art style (and other nuances but they're probably too subtle too talk about here). An art style that isn't replicated anywhere and has nothing to do with China.

And NOTHING to do with MoP.

Except the night elves don't look asian. The architecture of their capital city doesn't look japanese at all. compare that against the pandarien where their entire starting zone, town, and everything screams chinese.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 11:01 PM ----------

Listen to this man.
    Riiight. the NElf buildings and roof look nothing like classic Japanese architecture.

Yep, you're 100% correct again!!! These don't remotely resemble one another!! On another note... You agree with the hate on Ninjas. So, out of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which one was the white Western guy, and who were his sidekicks?

And I can't stop laughing at people not wanting to play a game that looks anime-ish, so instead they'll play one that looks cartoon-ish.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    You are free to dislike it.

But I reserve the right to question your intellect when you say you don't like it because of something it has nothing in common with.

It's like if I said I won't eat rice because it reminds me of potatoes.
    Don't go around questioning my intellect if you don't see the point I'm trying to make. Chinese culture is asian. Anime is asian. See where I'm going with this?
    "I have taught you many ways to kill a mortal, Kratos. Flesh that burns, bones that break. But to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltronn
    GIRL BETTER BE QUIET MAKIN MA SAMMICH... ¬.¬

If you look at all the races and enemies in the game, they are all a variation of animal-like beings. So why are Pandas suddenly an issue, in a world of Cow People, Wolf People, Rat People, Goat people, Walrus people etc? I'll tell you why. Because they don't look Asian, unlike the Pandas.

SNIP

Personally speaking - I like what Blizzard is trying to do with MoP - but they are doing it too aggressively, for an audience that still associates "Asian" with "gold farmer" and all those WoW clones from Asia, which are already saturated with Pandas or panda-like things. It's best to tone down the whole Asian theme back a bit, remove the ability to be Pandarien, and just leave the Pandariens similar to the quest givers in Uldum. But bringing the Asian theme to the forefront, is completely a mistake. We're just not ready for that.
    A lot of weak minded people, including you, see racism where they want to and cry about it for some idiotic reason. Where I looked at something as a 30 year old white male and couldn't give a rat's ass, you have formed some idiotic opinion and theory based on your own stupid ideas and preconceived notions about race and skin color.

Please keep this kind of idiocy to yourself. It's people like you that ruin a lot of things for people based on some insane ideas you come up with in the back of your mind.
    Last edited by alien1099; 2011-11-09 at 11:18 PM.