Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Former DAOC players?

Just wondering how many former DAOC addicts are drawn to GW2 for it's W v W v W? I've found the PvP in every MMO since DAOC to be disappointing. I'm hoping GW2 can capture the epicness that was RvR.

Deleted
    When I first heard about the WvWvW-PvP DAoC immediately came to my mind. And when I saw that interview (sorry can't remember which one it was) and they said that WvWvW-PvP will be a lot like DAoC RvR with keep claiming, siege weapons etc. I was more excited about the game then ever. I just hope so much that they will do it the right way and not mess it up like AION did e.g.

Played DAoC like 6-7 years ago on a German Server and played again about 5 months ago for a couple of months on Ywain.

Deleted
    Yea same for me, when i heard i about the WvWvW pvp i was sold. Been looking for a game that had that since DAoC. WAR was just a big disapointment imo.
    Even told a few of my old DAoC buddies about it and got them hooked aswell

I loved DAoC, and when I heard of the WvWvW I also immediately thought of DAoC. To this day, and after many years of MMOing, DAoC is still IMO hands down the best PvP that any MMO has ever offered. DAoC was the only game where the PvP ever fully sucked me in (Warhammer PvP was pretty good to but never really gave it a serious shot because I was to addicted to WoW at the time). I actually made alts for the BG's...trust me me making an alt period is very rare. I have always thought WoW PvP was utter crap.

Former Midgard Kobold Bonedancer here, played from launch till ToA, master levels ruined it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronis View Post
    Former Midgard Kobold Bonedancer here, played from launch till ToA, master levels ruined it for me.
    Same here, DAoC was so great until ToA. RvR made the game and then they tried to develop the PvE aspect more...should of just focused on the RvR.

I've never played DAOC can someone enlighten me on what the pvp was like?

Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    I've never played DAOC can someone enlighten me on what the pvp was like?
    Ok lets try this the best i can compareing it to WoW... Think AV but with 500+ish people on each side, but with 3 sides, towers are captureable and dotn get burnt you take em their yours till they are taken back many side objectives like the sort of "murderball" relics that gave your entire Realm "Faction" passive bonus' thrown in. the more keeps/ control areas you had the more powers your realm would obtain. often on servers 2 realms would make a truce with to upsurp the stronger realm. "often Midgard and Hibernia teaming on Albion on my server" you dont nessicarily HAVE to do the capture point thing hell you can ignore them if you want to and still be useful in RVR, you can get friends to blockoff chokepoints in the MASSIVE RVR area and often times stategy skill and communication would wreck pure zerg numbers in such fights. Other times you may be close to capping a keep from an opposing faction when a large band of the 2rd faction may join in and take take the keep themselves after both other raids are worn down.

Long story short play smarter not harder was my guilds motto when it came to RVR.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played DAoC since it's beta for a couple of years, my last addon was Catacombs I think, left before that Minotaur thing.

My 50ies were an Enchanter, Friar, Armswoman, Warden and Valkyrie, so I saw the game from all angles. Oh and of course a lot of Twinks for the Battlegrounds (mainly Thidranki), always a funny diversion

The game was pure epicness, mainly because of it's RvR with three factions. Though, for me, the fun came mostly from 8v8 group fights and not epic (keep) battles, which mostly are just about numbers.

But let's be honest: The balance was not really good and the gameplay mechanics would not appeal to a lot of people nowadays. A DAoC 2.0 just with better graphics (which a lot of ppl hoped to have with Warhammer Online, which sadly only had two factions) would become a failure just as all the WoW clones.
    GW2 on the other hand seems to have a lot of innovations and modern gameplay, but does not forget the importance of PvP for a lot of players... I'm really eager to play it.

To those who haven't seen this before:

Tap: Hi Colin, I swear I’m not stalking you! I found out recently that you began you career at Mythic, I don’t know how I didn’t know that already. Has it in any way helped shape WvWvW, from your experiences with Dark Age of Camelot?

Colin: Mike Ferguson and Matt Witter are our two lead designers working on the WvWvW project, from a lead design perspective. Both of them are ex-Mythic employees. Mike was heavily involved in Dark Age of Camelot back when I was at Mythic. Matt was heavily involved in Warhammer Online and so the two of them have a lot of experience with world PvP. We also have a lot of staff who give them a great deal of feedback and suggestions. We are big PvP players across the board. I played a lot of Dark Age of Camelot. Our lead designer Eric Flannum would say one of his favourite games of all time was Dark Age of Camelot. We certainly draw inspirations from those areas, but we want to take that and make it our own too.

I'm a former DAoC player, but I'm not drawn to GW2 or any other game coming out. I think I might be getting tired of video games. I can't wait to go back to college just to do something other than sit at my damn computer.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    To those who haven't seen this before:

Tap: Hi Colin, I swear I’m not stalking you! I found out recently that you began you career at Mythic, I don’t know how I didn’t know that already. Has it in any way helped shape WvWvW, from your experiences with Dark Age of Camelot?

Colin: Mike Ferguson and Matt Witter are our two lead designers working on the WvWvW project, from a lead design perspective. Both of them are ex-Mythic employees. Mike was heavily involved in Dark Age of Camelot back when I was at Mythic. Matt was heavily involved in Warhammer Online and so the two of them have a lot of experience with world PvP. We also have a lot of staff who give them a great deal of feedback and suggestions. We are big PvP players across the board. I played a lot of Dark Age of Camelot. Our lead designer Eric Flannum would say one of his favourite games of all time was Dark Age of Camelot. We certainly draw inspirations from those areas, but we want to take that and make it our own too.

That makes me smile. If they end up having a camelot herald type site with all the WvW stats and rankings, plus some sort of system like realm points/abilities.... I would have the biggest nerdgasm ever known.

Deleted
    I'd like it if the WvWvW zone(s) functions like DAoC's frontier system.
    Without the 8v8s though. I for one LOVE zergs, it gave me such excitement and "realm pride" seeing an army of Mids charge at a Keep/Enemy Zerg, even if there isn't much skill to it, it's bloody fun! A sense of community, all working together to protect and capture keeps for realm-wide bonuses

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelsh View Post
    Without the 8v8s though. I for one LOVE zergs, it gave me such excitement and "realm pride" seeing an army of Mids charge at a Keep/Enemy Zerg, even if there isn't much skill to it, it's bloody fun! A sense of community, all working together to protect and capture keeps for realm-wide bonuses
    I love zergs too! Nothing like 3 massive armies smashing into each other. I think there is skill involved though. Even so, I enjoy it more than "balanced" PvP. Having fun is more important to me than testing my skill anyway. The chaotic mess that is RvR beats the hell out of any instanced PvP I've ever done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post
    The game was pure epicness, mainly because of it's RvR with three factions. Though, for me, the fun came mostly from 8v8 group fights and not epic (keep) battles, which mostly are just about numbers.

But let's be honest: The balance was not really good and the gameplay mechanics would not appeal to a lot of people nowadays. A DAoC 2.0 just with better graphics (which a lot of ppl hoped to have with Warhammer Online, which sadly only had two factions) would become a failure just as all the WoW clones.
    GW2 on the other hand seems to have a lot of innovations and modern gameplay, but does not forget the importance of PvP for a lot of players... I'm really eager to play it.
    I think you are 100% right with this posting. And it is really sad that nowadays people care much more about graphics than gameplay. Of course the graphics have to appeal to me but graphics is by far not the most important issue about a game.

Personally I would love a DAoC 2.0 with some UI improvements and some other little improvements. Graphics update? No thank you! I still love DAoCs graphic no need to change anything. BUT...it will never happen so let's just keep DAoC in our good memories as one of the best if not the best PvP MMO ever!

So does anyone know how they will handle zergs (large groups of players) concerning lags in GW2? I know there will be large groups in WvWvW but that hopefully will not lead to monster lags like in AION. And I hope they are not thinking about player restrictions.

Deleted
    Sorry double and...
    Last edited by mmocf7e03b0f7c; 2011-11-16 at 06:02 AM.

Deleted
    ...tripple posting due to misunderstanding that a moderator will read my posting and it will show up later. For 2 of my other posting it never showed up that's why I posted again.
    Last edited by mmocf7e03b0f7c; 2011-11-16 at 06:04 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelsh View Post
    Now that's what I call a narrowminded request. You want to forbid 8v8? How should that work? "If you are not in 200 yard range of 49 other members within 120 seconds, you will die"?
    There was enough place for both playstyles in DAoC and there hopefully will be enough in GW2.
    And a lot of players prefer to have the option to participate in large-scale and small-scale battles in an open environment, me included

Deleted
    I personally loved the zergs in DAoC RvR, didnt do much 8v8 tho.
    The main thing i got tired of with all the "leet" 8v8'ers was the nonstop whine about people zerging.
    There was a time where most of the RvR was ruled by these 8man gank squads and everybody else was getting steamrolled if they didnt have a setup that could compete.
    Thats what made me play a stealther instead, but it looks like that wont happen in GW2, atleast i dont hope so.
    But on point i think group vs group combat should ofcourse be an option i personally think that belongs in the instanced part of pvp.
    Feel free to roam with gank squads, just dont complain when you get caught by the zerg from the opposite server

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post
    Now that's what I call a narrowminded request. You want to forbid 8v8? How should that work? "If you are not in 200 yard range of 49 other members within 120 seconds, you will die"?
    There was enough place for both playstyles in DAoC and there hopefully will be enough in GW2.
    And a lot of players prefer to have the option to participate in large-scale and small-scale battles in an open environment, me included
    Well the frontiers were not designed for 8v8 battles with "NO ADDING". That's what I'm getting at. If they want their fair, even numbered 8v8 battles, give them an instanced battleground they can queue for. Same for 1v1s.

By all means run around in an 8man group, take on various sized groups, but don't have a fit when someone joins in the action. It's REALM vs REALM.