Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Dragon Age 2 conversations with random choice of speech in Multiplayer is a bad idea for the storyliker in me.

Having to talk to useless asshats for 3 mins every time I do a quest is a bad idea for the gameplayer in me.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it'll definately help immersion, which has been sorely lacking in recent MMOs. Some may dislike it, but they can always skip it tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    For me it'll definately help immersion, which has been sorely lacking in recent MMOs. Some may dislike it, but they can always skip it tbh.
    Immersion works differently in MMOs to other games, just slapping in single player experiences won't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Immersion works differently in MMOs to other games, just slapping in single player experiences won't work for me.
    Speak for yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's good that there's an mmo with this system out. More options to the players. For me personally, I never got the whole immersion people praise BW for. Actually, the conversations break immersion for me, since they unnecessarily slow down gameplay. Not that I don't like talking in games, I just think BW overdoes it, A LOT.
    Which is why I'll play the game just like I play wow. Talk to quest giver, skip the quest text/VO, kill the 10 space rats and hand it in.

I think the VO's will pull a lot of people to the game, but also a lot away from it, it's the reason none of my friends even want to touch sweater
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    Well, just having people talk to you saying "you're a sith, do this" and me having several choices of saying OK doesn't make the world seem "Massive!"

Huge war efforts to push against enemies, battlelines drawn as well as covert sneaking missions all are ten times more Immersive in the feel of an MMO, it makes the world seem more active and working instead of just being you talking to NPCs.

Deleted
    I must admit, I am skeptical as to how much I will enjoy this aspect of the game, even though I've been looking forward to the game for a very long time. The idea of having cut scenes throughout raids every week seems kind of annoying, even if you can cancel them, but I guess it's not that different than having to watch the entire scripted introduction on every Lich King kill, for example.

---------- Post added 2011-11-15 at 10:36 PM ----------

Huge war efforts to push against enemies, battlelines drawn as well as covert sneaking missions all are ten times more Immersive in the feel of an MMO, it makes the world seem more active and working instead of just being you talking to NPCs.
    Which MMO have you been playing? I want to subscribe! :P

I just started playing the original Kotor again, I can't wait for this game. For me the storyline is what I'm really looking forward to, I love the VO in Kotor and I'm going to love it in SWTOR. All the VO might be fine for me and many others, but I know others won't like it and might actually drop out of the game because of it, that will be their decision.

So I think the emphasis on story and dialogue will be a double edged sword, it will hurt but also help them, a large group will love it another large group will hate it. This is definitely going to be a love it or hate it game.

It can only help it in setting it apart from other MMO's; herp derpers will probably stay with WOW since its what they know. At least I hope so; I also don't want the elitists and perfomance freaks jumping ship and sinking ToR like they did with WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuboid View Post
    [/COLOR]
    Which MMO have you been playing? I want to subscribe! :P
    World of Warcraft at least tries this with Barrens quest structure and whatnot, I thought as a more recent MMO ToR would be trying this.. but I hear nothing about it.

Well, just having people talk to you saying "you're a sith, do this" and me having several choices of saying OK doesn't make the world seem "Massive!"

Opinions vary.

I've played EQ, EQ2, LotRo, City of Heroes / Villans, Age of Conan, WoW, DCUO and Rift.

SWTOR gives me more immersion and I care more about what my toon is doing and whom my toon is becoming than in any of the aforementioned MMORPG's I've played over the last 12+ years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by agnarr View Post
    Opinions vary.

I've played EQ, EQ2, LotRo, City of Heroes / Villans, Age of Conan, WoW, DCUO and Rift.

SWTOR gives me more immersion and I care more about what my toon is doing and whom my toon is becoming than in any of the aforementioned MMORPG's I've played over the last 12+ years.

I don't think you really grasp the gist of an MMO then, if all you care about is small details instead of huge thriving worlds.

I like the dialogue and choices but im sure there are tons of ppl like my brother who wont play because it takes 4 minutes to "accept" a quest.

I don't think you really grasp the gist of an MMO then, if all you care about is small details instead of huge thriving worlds.
    You read Massive in MMORPG as equating to the world, I read it as equating to the population. Having played them for over 12 years, I'm confident that I grasp the gist of what an MMORPG is.

It's hard to say, I'm looking forward to SWTOR partially because I like story. It's one thing that WoW has mostly been lacking. My biggest worry is that, once I get to max level and "complete" the story, will I still find the game as fun? Also, how different are stories between classes and characters? I love making alts and having one of each class, but if it's a really long narrative that is almost exactly the same every time...I don't know if I'd be interested in more than one character on each faction.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Deleted
    A bit of both I think. If I was in beta, I would really enjoy the story and dialogue and the dimension it adds to the game *COUGH* but I can imagine that it would begin to get annoying when you hit like level 20, lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Im gonna say it right now, its not the game for them, they wont get to max level.

You think that because wow content is sub-par compared to the money they acquire each month, their goddamn team are so small.. and they sometime use those team that you pay each month to do stuff they sell on their online store. -_-

Bioware is actually already working on the next patch and expansion right now.
    Indeed, Blizzard's attitude is one of the main things which puts me off putting any more money into their pockets than I already have. They constantly whine about how it requires "a lot of resources" to do x/y/z... don't give me that shit, Blizzard. There are over 10 million people paying monthly to play, as well as the huge amount of revenue from virtual items... and money = resources. Meanwhile other MMOs with significantly less subs (such as Rift) produce content which is on par with Blizzard's content these days on an ongoing basis. There is a new dungeon/raid in Rift at least every month or two, and despite the game not having the nice art style that WoW has, the content itself is easily as good as anything Blizzard has put out since about Patch 4.2.

What Blizzard has is the strength of their name, and their strong history in WoW. When you look at games like Aion, or Rift, or Warhammer Online, and compare it to WoW's "glory days" content such as Black Temple, or Karazhan... WoW makes them look like a joke. But now? The content is absolutely atrocious.

As for Bioware trying hard - frankly, they don't have any choice but to do that. It's one of the most expensive games ever produced. If they don't get a lot of subs, it will be a financial disaster. And furthermore, I think every other MMO has tried hard - most of them have just got it completely wrong and thus failed to retain a decent amount of customers.

My one hope with SWTOR is that they can stay on top of the game with new and HIGH QUALITY content. I think Rift almost overcompensates and certainly don't need new dungeons and raids every month to keep me hooked on a game, but WoW is the other extreme... nothing for so long, and then you get crap. If Bioware put out a high quality major content patch every 5 months I'll be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agnarr View Post
    . With this game, immersion is back and it's better than it's ever been, imho.
    Damn is it back alright. I'll be honest I found myself space baring a few dialogue choices in part because the beta had such a limited time span. EVEN in those circumstances I still felt immersed because I had some say in how the quest unfolded. Look when I turn in the quest to kill 10 boars in wow the only thing I get from the dude accepting the quest is usually "for the horde!" but in Swtor stuff happens. The immersion takes a whole new lvl when the end and the beginning of the quest take on a whole new meaning beyond "for the horde". When your character has a voice, and his voice is speaking the decisions YOU MAKE then that character starts to becomes an extension of you. I found the experience overwhelming at times and I genuinely felt like an asshole playing on the empire

It works wonders; it's the first time in a long while that I've enjoyed questing in an MMO. I'll be leveling every class all the way through just to check out their respective story arcs, regardless of how the end game turns out.

All i am hoping for is not to be shaken out of the game because of ass hats or over use of Rp.
    I like to play who I am, not who i pretend to be also, if that makes any sense.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.