Thread: [Music] Metal

Right now I would love nothing more than to find a bassist, two more guitarists, drummer and keyboardist/sampler and play this song in some cathedral. The walls of sound cascading from side to side would be absolutely unreal.

Rule 1, NEVER EVER post the re-recording of awesome songs, because the re-recording always sucks dick.
    Highly disagree. Today's recording techniques allows absolutely superior atmosphere to be packaged in which makes the songs/albums sound so much better if it's done tastefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Agreed with your disagreeing. Some re-recordings really do the song more justice than the original verison.
    The exception being, for instance, if In Flames were to rerecord Whoracle. Given their current direction it would probably be ghastly and force me to fly to Sweden to pelt them with flaming bricks.

Fun album to listen to:

Last edited by nbm02ss; 2011-11-19 at 12:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    The exception being, for instance, if In Flames were to rerecord Whoracle. Given their current direction it would probably be ghastly and force me to fly to Sweden to pelt them with flaming bricks.
    I'd probably miss it entirely. I avoid In Flames like I would the Bubonic Plague.

If done right a souped up version can add a lot to the song. If done 'just because', it can also take away a lot of its original magic.

Some nice links there, though I much prefer Limbonic Art over Enthroned. Not a fan of the last releases though. Ultimate Death Worship is by far the best album they released (*awaits the angry throng of trve kvlt nekros to tell him that the best album ever is clearly Moon in the Scorpio*).

Oh, Badpaladin, currently I just want to try n find either a bass player or a guitar player for the release show for our CD. Bloody impossible to find someone suitable.

Agreed with your disagreeing. Some re-recordings really do the song more justice than the original verison.
    I would love to hear an example of that.

Melodeath band from Finland, sadly the guitarist and driving force in the band, was badly injured in a car accident, and the band disbanded.

They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    On the subject of Viking Metal: I used to consider only Black Metal to be able to be viking metal, but not anymore. I consider every band that has a viking feel to it(don't really know how to describe it) to also be viking metal.
    For an example this band. It's power metal, I know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1nY3jlq1M
    I still don't consider amon amarth viking metal, though
    So despite all their songs being about vikings, all their records being named after various viking bits and such, you don't consider them to be viking metal.... Wait what?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    So despite all their songs being about vikings, all their records being named after various viking bits and such, you don't consider them to be viking metal.... Wait what?
    I am not talking about lyrics and names. Such things don't matter to me much.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    i have to wonder if mustaine believes half the political vitriol he spews on his records. he seems to be going further off the deep end with each release (barring the resurgence to triumph that was endgame)
    Well it's pretty metal to be against society and politics and all that, but Mustaine is an idiot really, when it comes to anything else than playing guitar. I've seen plenty of posts and articles from his side about politics and good god, he is a total dickwad. (Not really a surprise though)

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Here's some REAL metal!

I'm still convinced there isn't a song as heavy and dense as this.

On a somewhat related note, The Ocean's Precambrian is fucking incredible. I haven't had the chance to listen to it front to back until fairly recently and it's shocking how well it fits together.

Disk one example:

Disk two example:

And just in case you guys didn't catch it, new Nickelback is pretty much out. Check that shit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I dunno, it doesn't sound particularly heavier than, well, most of the brutal death stuff to my ears...or for that matter, some stuff that's not brutal death. Also sounded rather boring, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

This is more my speed, the playing is just stellar.

This too:

And ThrashMetalFTW, glad you liked the Guardians of Time stuff. They're pretty obscure but I enjoy them...the new album is actually a pretty nice mix of Iced Earth style power metal, Helloween style power metal, and pre-suck Queensryche style classic metal.

In regards to heaviness, for me, it's hard to beat stoner metal. The Japanese, in particular, seem to have a penchant for all things heavy in that regard:

And some Coffins for good measure (death/doom):

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I dunno, it doesn't sound particularly heavier than, well, most of the brutal death stuff to my ears...or for that matter, some stuff that's not brutal death. Also sounded rather boring, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
    I can't get into brutal death at all. It's just way too silly to be taken serious for me. I guess I should have worded it as "heavy impact", because it's the contrast between cleans and layered, crushing riffs that really makes it heavier to me. A nonstop blast of down-tuned riffage with lyrics about killing things in interesting ways sacrifices atmosphere for brutality, the latter of which I have issues taking seriously. Consequently, that's also why I love Ulcerate and don't like many of their peers.

I've actually got two justifications for heaviness....one of which is the contrast and the other is general atmosphere, and that's not just limited to Metal or its derivatives. I consider this:

To be a far heavier album than most metal releases this year.

But hey, to each his own. I'd encourage listening to bands like Rosetta, they're amazing when you get used to the slower tempo. Have any faster-temp recommendations (aside from what you linked, I mean)? I don't usually listen to fast stuff so I'm pretty out of the loop (which is odd considering I've been a guitarist for like, 7 years now).

In regards to heaviness, for me, it's hard to beat stoner metal.
    Electric Wizard comes to mind. My favorite YouTube comment on one of their songs is "Heavier than Satan's balls."
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2011-11-19 at 08:58 AM.

Deleted

worthwhile
    Last edited by mmoc54c9892e8d; 2011-11-19 at 09:11 AM.

Deleted
    Since we're talking about heaviness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYseJrleANI
    I really can't find anything as heavy as Bolt Thrower in Death Metal.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a somewhat related note, The Ocean's Precambrian is fucking incredible. I haven't had the chance to listen to it front to back until fairly recently and it's shocking how well it fits together.
    Man, you're late to the party. That band actually deserves having their albums bought for the sheer work put into the packaging. It looks awesome. Just a damn shame I really don't like the last two albums nearly as much. The band blew my mind Precambrian and their live performances, but just can't get into the albums with the new vocalist.

I can't get into brutal death at all. It's just way too silly to be taken serious for me. I guess I should have worded it as "heavy impact", because it's the contrast between cleans and layered, crushing riffs that really makes it heavier to me. A nonstop blast of down-tuned riffage with lyrics about killing things in interesting ways sacrifices atmosphere for brutality, the latter of which I have issues taking seriously. Consequently, that's also why I love Ulcerate and don't like many of their peers.

I've actually got two justifications for heaviness....one of which is the contrast and the other is general atmosphere, and that's not just limited to Metal or its derivatives. I consider this:

To be a far heavier album than most metal releases this year.

But hey, to each his own. I'd encourage listening to bands like Rosetta, they're amazing when you get used to the slower tempo. Have any faster-temp recommendations? I don't usually listen to fast stuff so I'm pretty out of the loop (which is odd considering I've been a guitarist for like, 7 years now).
    I find brutal death heavier, but I don't actually LIKE it myself(usually). Although, a lot of the death bands don't actually sing about just killing things, despite the name. I don't consider heaviness and atmosphere to be the same thing though, or even related really though, so I can't find that video particularly heavy at all. Somewhat interesting, but not even close to "heavy" for me. Gloomy perhaps, but not what I would call heavy. Also, while I do tend to gravitate towards fast stuff, slow tempo doesn't bother me if the song has something memorable about it...take Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, or Doomsword for example. Definitely not speed demons, but I find them far more appealing than that Rosetta track.

As for faster stuff, what kinda stuff specifically are you referring to? I listen to a lotta faster stuff, but do you mean death stuff, power metal, thrash, any of the above?

Deleted
    I find brutal death heavier, but I don't actually LIKE it myself(usually). Although, a lot of the death bands don't actually sing about just killing things, despite the name. I don't consider heaviness and atmosphere to be the same thing though, or even related really though, so I can't find that video particularly heavy at all. Somewhat interesting, but not even close to "heavy" for me. Gloomy perhaps, but not what I would call heavy. Also, while I do tend to gravitate towards fast stuff, slow tempo doesn't bother me if the song has something memorable about it...take Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, or Doomsword for example. Definitely not speed demons, but I find them far more appealing than that Rosetta track.

As for faster stuff, what kinda stuff specifically are you referring to? I listen to a lotta faster stuff, but do you mean death stuff, power metal, thrash, any of the above?
    For me there is a difference between heaviness and brutality. Brutal Death Metal bands are, well, brutal, but not so heavy since they're fast. I consider heaviness to be a little slower, crunchy, it just seems like a 100 ton tank rolling over thousands skulls.

Heaviness is irrelevant to speed. You can be blindingly fast and be still be immensely heavy, or you can be slow and be heavy, sometimes you can even be midpaced and be heavy. Badpaladin has already posted a slow heavy song, so here's 2 more:

Midpaced but heavy(not as heavy as Rosetta but still heavy):

Fast but heavy(and this sure as fuck sounds heavier to me than Rosetta does, even though, truth be told, I'd rather listen to the Rosetta song):

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmen View Post
    For me there is a difference between heaviness and brutality. Brutal Death Metal bands are, well, brutal, but not so heavy since they're fast. I consider heaviness to be a little slower, crunchy, it just seems like a 100 ton tank rolling over thousands skulls.
    You speak about breakdowns ?

Let me show you some death metal songs that are "heavy".

Fast but heavy(and this sure as fuck sounds heavier to me than Rosetta does, even though, truth be told, I'd rather listen to the Rosetta song)
    I wake up in the morning with Nile.

10+ Year Old Account
    This song is badass live.
    Testament is bad ass period!