Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Them laptops, eyh?

I know my fair share of computers, at least when it comes to the hardware. I've built several computers and love to help my friends buy / assemble them...
    BUT, I have never EVER in my life cared about laptops.

Now that I live on the countryside of Sweden, about 1½ hour train ride from Stockholm, and study there, I felt it was time to get a computer I could bring with me so that I could stay in Stockholm even if I had work to do. But on the other hand, I'd hate to have a computer with no real computing power, not even capable of playing the lightest game.

So what I'm asking you guys for, is suggestions of what to look for in a laptop that's capable of playing SC2, or games that require roughly the same power (Mid settings or so?), playing videos (meaning I don't want some crappy low-res screen and *some* storage) and of course, the basic work. Nothing too fancy, but not the laptop your parents would have that freezes as soon as you pop your average internet browser

As I said - I live in Sweden, so not too many links from Newegg and sites like that, unless it's just to give me an idea of what to look for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give this man some advice!

Because I could use it as well

most mid priced laptops can run SC2 fairly well. Laptops are no longer the junk they used to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneleg View Post
    most mid priced laptops can run SC2 fairly well. Laptops are no longer the junk they used to be.
    Care to elaborate? I don't have all too much money to spend (~5-6k SEK, 500-600 USD I believe it roughly translates to?), and at least when it comes to desktops there are quite the difference when it comes to media and gaming hardware. Is this the case with the average laptop? Any particular gpu to stay from, or search for? Same goes for cpu

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    ~5-6k SEK, 500-600 USD I believe it roughly translates to?
    5000 SEK is 731.78 USD.

Deleted
    Hmmm, it's always hard to choose a pre build PC, even a laptop... Any preferences on Brand, processor and GPU manufacturer, or doesn't it matter?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post
    Hmmm, it's always hard to choose a pre build PC, even a laptop... Any preferences on Brand, processor and GPU manufacturer, or doesn't it matter?
    That's what I'm asking for advice about when it comes to desktops, I usually prefer AMD in most aspects (Although, I have lost a bit of faith in them since Bulldozer)
    but that's about it

Deleted
    That's what I'm asking for advice about when it comes to desktops, I usually prefer AMD in most aspects (Although, I have lost a bit of faith in them since Bulldozer)
    but that's about it
    Kinda shitty that HDD's are so expensive these days, makes it harder to find one in that range with still a decent CPU and GPU. I'll see what I can find.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post
    Kinda shitty that HDD's are so expensive these days, makes it harder to find one in that range with still a decent CPU and GPU. I'll see what I can find.
    Yeah that is what is really hurting the Prices on Laptop now, they went up about 60-100 US dollars here, kinda shitty, hope you find what you need!

ASUS' G series laptops are pretty good performance for their price range, though outside of the states there isn't much customization available.

You're going windows I assume? I've always heard good things about Lenovo. Maybe something like Z-series Ideapad?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    You're going windows I assume? I've always heard good things about Lenovo. Maybe something like Z-series Ideapad?
    Yah, I'd prefer to stay with Windows.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got myself an Asus G53S. I don't care to tell about it since you can look it up.
    But I play WoW on best graphics with 40 FPS in 25 man raids. It works fairly well.
    Fog the Proven Assailant
    <The Internet People>
    Stormrage EU
    Stream Twitter WeakAuras - discontinued

Asus has some great laptops for relatively good prices saw one for 800 (close to the range you gave) 6 gigs of ram gt 540 1 gig dedicated i7 2.2ghz ill try and grab the model number for you real quick if i can find it.
    here ya go

its actually 8 gigs

Yah, I'd prefer to stay with Windows.
    Well check out Lenovo. Disclaimer: I do not own a laptop of any kind, and I haven't owned one since the mid 90's. If I WERE to own one, I think I'd go Lenovo though.

Deleted
    Currently playing on http://www.simplyasus.com/ASUS_G74SX...Z_1120781.html

Works better than most PC I've come across . Playing WoW in max settings at aprrox 100 fps. Flawless for SC2 in amx settings.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2011-11-21 at 06:28 PM.

Deleted
    Well, TBH with you, I don't know of any computer shops in swede, so I couldn't check for their prices or availability, but there's some I found. Maybe it's best you google them, as I only get dutch pages >.>

Acer Aspire 5750G-2414G64MN
    I5@2.3GHz - GT540M (1366x768) - 4GB(max 8GB) - 640GB HDD

Asus K53SV-SX146V
    I5@2.3GHz - GT540M (1366x786) - 4GB(max 8GB) - 500GB HDD

HP Pavilion g7-1130sd
    I5@2.3GHz - HD6470M (1600x900) - 4GB - 500GB HDD

They're around €600, which should be about 6k SEk

The HD6470 is, according to notebookcheck somewhat crappier then the GT540M, they both run SC2 on respectively medium and high settings.

I could look for more, but this is a start

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    Well check out Lenovo. Disclaimer: I do not own a laptop of any kind, and I haven't owned one since the mid 90's. If I WERE to own one, I think I'd go Lenovo though.
    yeah I just got my first laptop in quite sometime for work related issues first time I have personally bought one that wasn't given to me by work. I went with an ASUS a couple steps up from the one I linked and I'm loving it to be quite honest. Fine machine runs great and since it is my laptop I tried out wow and can do 60fps ultra settings 25 man raids. Love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    5000 SEK is 731.78 USD.
    For that price I'd try to track down something with an AMD A6-3400m. It's a very capable CPU/GPU, and it's not going to run you nearly as much as an Intel CPU+Dedicated GPU would.

Deleted
    My stationary died this year, had to buy a new computer. Bought a laptop because I'm going to be in the same situation in half a year or so, laptops today can handle games, I play wow for one at ultra with 60 FPS, I can play Battlefield 3 on highest with around 50. Basicly if you do buy a "gaming" laptop you can do it, just make sure to get one of those cooling plates under it since it gets quite... hot

I got an MSI from Inet in Stockholm, been running it now for a few months no problem
    would have made a link but I'm not allowed to but you should find Inet quite simply with a google

If this is out of your price range, there are smiliar ones for lower prices, Inet is trustworhy and in your city since we (used to I guess) live in the same city