10+ Year Old Account

Lightning vs Madness: Which one do you prefer?

So it appears that Madness is a DoT tree, allowing your DoTs to heal you while they do damage, and the Lightning tree seems a lot more flashy and powerful. To all the Sith sorcerers out there, which one will you roll for ranged DPS?

Still undecided. Have to think it through carefully because there's no respecs in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Still undecided. Have to think it through carefully because there's no respecs in the game.
    you can respec... you cant re-pick your advanced class though.

on topic... lightning! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    So it appears that Madness is a DoT tree, allowing your DoTs to heal you while they do damage, and the Lightning tree seems a lot more flashy and powerful. To all the Sith sorcerers out there, which one will you roll for ranged DPS?
    Actually Madness is the shared tree - shared with the other Advanced Class.
    VOTE TRUMP! Make America Great Again!

Quote Originally Posted by pixul View Post
    you can respec... you cant re-pick your advanced class though.
    If that's true then it makes my choise a bit easier. Shame though that there's no dualspec. If you're picking a class with a healing tree, chances are there's going to be people who will insist that's all you should do with the class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daarksoul View Post
    Actually Madness is the shared tree - shared with the other Advanced Class.
    To be fair though, Madness as a Sorcerer plays a bit differently than Madness as an Assassin.

Going lightning. I was planning on corruption until the NDA lifted. Lightning just seemed to badass to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    To be fair though, Madness as a Sorcerer plays a bit differently than Madness as an Assassin.
    How so? Will Madness assassin focus on 1 handed lightsaber dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreavus View Post
    How so? Will Madness assassin focus on 1 handed lightsaber dps?
    If you pick assassin the madness tree boosts your melee abilities. If you pick sorcerer it boosts your spells. And you can only use dual-bladed lighsabers if you're picking a melee spec on the inquisitor.

lightning focuses on mana regen/saving and proc based damage output, I believe its meant to be the endgame PVE spec.

In my opinion madness is much more fun, it reduces a lot of cooldowns on crowd controls spells and makes other spells instant or removes cooldowns completely. its clearly the PVP spec, as it offers a huge amount of cc, healing and survivability and in my opinion its much more fun to level with. so from 1 to 50 I'll surely spec madness.
    endgame, well have to see.

I like Madness for low levels because the beginning tiers seem stronger at low levels than the beginning tiers of Lightning. However, I feel that Lightning is an overall stronger tree at higher levels. If I were rolling a new sorc this weekend, my first talent points would go into Madness and then respec at maybe around level 30.

Deleted
    end game wise there is lot of questions regarding lightning sorcerors being able to sustain their dmg due to force efficiency. we will see how it plays out.

althou there is lot of rumour about madness being THE DOT SPEC, actually endgame wise you only need to handle 2 dots:
    - affliction (instant, 21s dot with tallents)
    - creeping terror (instant, 18s dot with cc component)
    having 2 nuke spells on 15s:
    - crushing darkness (2s activation time dmg + dot component. the dot part of the spells is shorter than its cooldown, thats why i didnt count it as a dot, as its pointless to track it)
    - death field (instant dmg + selfheal component)
    and force lightning as a filler (3s channelled spell), which regens force on the way (currently force lightning ticks 4 times, and each tick restore 1% force, plus the cost of the spell almost equals passive force regen during the channell)

and the other hand we have lightning sorceror:
    - affliction (21s dot)
    - thundering blast (2s act. time nuke on 9s cd. always crits with affliction on the target)
    - chain lightning (3s activation time. pve single target viable only when it procs from lightning strikes and becomes an instant)
    - force lightning (same as for madness, althou it doesnt restore force. most likely lightning sorcerors will only use this spell when it procs from affliction crits and ticks 2 times faster)
    - lightning strike (1,5s activation time filler spell. procs CL, increases passive force regen (+30%))
    main force regen (or conservating) talent for lightning will be 'lightning effusion', which redues force cost of 2 spells by 50% whenever you crit.

both specs can use force storm (channelled 6s aoe) and shock (instant. with madness having it stronger), but its possible that the force cost of shock will make it not viable (not sure how it will play out).

its hard to predict on paper which spec will reign supreme in end game operations without properly tuned factors like: base dmg, force cost, coefficients (scalling with gear).
    i'm sure that i will enjoy both of them
    Last edited by mmocab4042b3e7; 2011-11-24 at 07:48 AM.