Poll: How was your turkey cooked?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Talking How did you cook your turkey this year?

I, personally, did mine by cutting little slits all over the meat and stuffing them with slivers of garlic. Then I made an apricot brandy glaze with honey, sage, and rosemary. Then basted every 15 minutes. Can't wait to taste it.

What did everyone else do? Mark each thing you did!

And Happy Thanksgiving, by the way!
    Last edited by Eruionmel; 2011-11-24 at 09:50 PM.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

Deep fried this year. In the next couple years I'll probably be making 2, one fried and one baked with whatever I feel like so people can't complain that there's only a fried turkey. I'll be frying them for as long as I can and keeping family away, I just rather having my wife and daughter with me. But I know I can only keep the rest of the family away from us for the holidays for so long.

I didn't eat turkey because it's the driest and most flavourless meat in existence.
    "Cataclysm could have used more of Nozdormu. I think all he did was show up shirtless to Thrall's wedding."

-Anonymous priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Brined(apple cider vinegar, salt, water, pickling spices) and then smoked over the weber with applewood.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinator View Post
    I didn't eat turkey because it's the driest and most flavourless meat in existence.
    This.

No matter how you cook it, it's still turkey. I ate mostly potatoes and pasta today.

Deleted
    dont have thanksgiving in UK, so didnt eat any... i dont really like turkey though anyway.

made a turducken this year.

turkey done right is actually extremely juicy and extremely flavourful. it's just extremely hard and rare to find someone who does it right
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

You just haven't had good turkey. Even the white meat of this year's turkey was pretty juicy, and seasoned properly, it's delicious. We just had it baked dry, no glaze or anything special, but it's still delicious, and goes well with biscuits, or gravy. My second favorite meal of the year, after Christmas. Nothing's better than a properly cooked honey-glazed ham and my mom's turkey in the same meal.

Fried my turkey this year, Omg soooo juicy and good

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Stuffed to its glory. Oil rub for browning and butter under the skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Head first.

The best way.

Fried turkey FTW!!!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Had a Fried one and a baked ham.....my cholesterol shot up about 5 points because of it but it was GOOOOOD.
    Not flying my Sig because somebody got butthurt because I posted a question that they didn't like in they're little pet post and sicked ScrapBot on me :P

Baked with a dry rub on it! Nomnomnomnom. Next year im gunna inject it with a mixture of herbs and spices w olive oil and butter. It will be glorious.
    Gold selling site spam is an important part of our eco system.

You see, there are currently to many puppies and kittens on this world.
    Every time a Goldseller spams his advertisement on the mmo-champion site, a puppy dies.
    Every time you ignore these threads and don't report them, a kitten dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    turkey done right is actually extremely juicy and extremely flavourful. it's just extremely hard and rare to find someone who does it right
    This. So many people cook it until those stupid temperature things that come in the turkey pop out, leaving it dry and tasteless. The trick it to cook it to 165 degrees (F) and then TAKE IT OUT. It will actually finish cooking (and get all the way to the 185 mark, trust me) during the resting period before you carve it. I did this with my turkey and with the 15 minute bastings it came up fabulously juicy and absolutely CRAMMED with flavor. It was SO good. And god, the gravy I made from the drippings was phenomenal. Apricot brandy makes an amazing gravy for the mashed potatoes.

Essentially, all meat comes out dry and tasteless when you cook it poorly, and pretty much all meats can be extremely juicy and tasty if you cook them correctly (including, and especially, turkey).

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    I've had it when it was juicy, but flavorful? Nope. I guess if you add a bunch of spices and whatnot, but it doesn't have much of its own taste to me.

Also, even when it was juicy, it still tasted like it was dry, even though it was pretty much dripping wet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I've had it when it was juicy, but flavorful? Nope. I guess if you add a bunch of spices and whatnot, but it doesn't have much of its own taste to me.

Also, even when it was juicy, it still tasted like it was dry, even though it was pretty much dripping wet.
    Same taste as chicken (and more flavor, if you ask me). I can't even imagine a juicy turkey without flavor. :\

10+ Year Old Account
    I ate it raw. Feathers and all.

JK, well kind of; I was supposed to cook it at 325 degrees for 4 and a half hours. Unfortunately, I only set it to about 200 degrees. (Why? I don't know.) So after over 6 hours it was still not done, I discovered my mistake, and heated the oven up to about 500 degrees and pulled it out in 30 minutes. The skin was blackened and charred, but the meat was pink and rawish. My family demolished the potatoes and pumpkin bread this year.
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

15+ Year Old Account
    I had ham :| "Honeybaked Ham" (the store), was worth the 100 bucks...