Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are Rogues the only class who is set to lose at least half of their current abilities

I don't play many other classes so this is an honest, non-troll question.

I am noticing that the recently released Talent Calculator has Rogues pitting many of their current existing abilities against each other. When I click on other classes that I am familiar with I can't help but notice that they are pitting their current existing abilities against completely new abilities. If this is the case, why are Rogues the only class who is set to lose 50-60% of their current abilities whilst gaining nothing new?

Losing Sprint and Preparation to Retain Shadow Step, or losing Cheat Death to Retain Improved Recuperate seems unfair when it appears that Mages and Warriors are retaining a lot of what they have now, or losing it to gain completely new abilities.

If that's what it takes to keep us balanced - I'm pretty happy.

Do you have any idea how early that talent calc is? EVERYTHING in there is very likely to change. How bout give it some time before you start complaining.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guarantee that you will see additions for all classes that seem to have gotten the short end of the stick.

That's because they probably just aren't that far along in the development process for those classes yet.

They released this new Talent Calculator to get feedback from players, so go do that on the official forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    lol killing spree, vendetta or shadow dance not until 90??

It's a shame they balance the game around end game content?

Thanks for all of the responses, I didn't mean to offend anyone or jump the gun.

I started playing during Cataclysm so I wasn't sure if this was the finished product and I was going to be stuck playing Warcraft with a 3-4 button rotation like my Frost Death Knight or what. I was really stressed out over this because I don't even like Star Wars so I feel like I would be trapped in a corner if this is the case!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    tl;dr.....did you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonunit View Post
    yes very much so

As others have said, I wouldn't start making a lot of noise yet. By the time beta rolls around I hope there will be enough to start critiquing their decisions. Until then, I'd say kick back and enjoy the good parts and have happy dreams of what might come.

Blizzard already posted that the early talent calculator is definitely going to change. I wouldn't get too worried about it. On both of the toons I play the most I can see a handful of abilities that are missing. I'll wait a little longer to start getting nervous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anybody tell me why I have to decide between Preperation and Shadowstep?

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzy View Post
    Can anybody tell me why I have to decide between Preperation and Shadowstep?
    Because they're on the same tier.

But more seriousness: probably because the combination of the two is strong. There's a reason that Sub dominates PvP right now, and Blizzard is trying to break that spec's stranglehold. However, it doesn't do them much good if all they do is move the same mistake to the new talent system, totally reducing the number of possible combinations because both are considered 'must take.'

Yeah I've only looked at a couple of the new 85 specs and I can definitely say the frost mage is going through the same type of thing. I have to assume some, if not all the others are going through the same type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    Losing Sprint and Preparation to Retain Shadow Step
    Forgive me if I misinterpreted what you mean, but Sprint is still alive and well. Burst of Speed is a standalone talent that will not replace Spring (so far). You still get the ability at level 26 for all three speccs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember also, that many of the abilities will become automatic by some means to certain (or all) specs now that they are not available through the talent system. That can make a big difference to what every class stands to lose (or gain) with the new talent system.

But as for the actual talent systems and having to choose between certain abilities, they aren't final and it's so early on that it's hard to say if this will remain the same as they test that balance.

I generally doubt they want to change things around TOO much for one class or the other, because the players of that class will put out a lot of outrage over it.
    Axetoface.

Going to feel really f*ed up losing our dmg CDs and regaining them at 90, if they keep it like this. If I don't remember wrong blizzard sometimes like to chant "character progression." Losing an ability just to regain it later doesnt feel very progressive.

Making Restless Strikes baseline is a fun thing tho. Really liked that talent now when I finally started playing combat again.
    Last edited by Veranya; 2011-11-25 at 09:04 PM.
    GM of Roiyaru - Frostmane. Ilinára, Combat rogue. So good at stealth I can't even find myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I don't play many other classes so this is an honest, non-troll question.

I am noticing that the recently released Talent Calculator
    Pre-Alpha Talent Calculator, as stated by Bashiok in a blue post. Be freakin patient. They aren't even in Alpha testing yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonunit View Post
    don't know about you, but i am kind of tired of seeing the same ability as my top tier talent for 3 expansions (wrath, cata, mists) even if they are slightly reworked.

---------- Post added 2011-11-25 at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Pre-Alpha Talent Calculator, as stated by Bashiok in a blue post. Be freakin patient. They aren't even in Alpha testing yet.
    considering past experiences with rogues in "pre alpha" etc if we don't voice our opinion now it will be too late.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I find myself torn on their new philosophy for rogues, I think that if you dislike the changes, let your voice be heard on the official forums where blizzard will notice.

I feel like they succeeded if people think the choices are really difficult. The entire point of this new talent system was to shy away from the homogenization that's been occurring with the older system. These choices are SUPPOSED to make you feel torn. People are supposed to have different opinions over which is better. I just wish those people realized there will be other opinions on preferences.