Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

is this computer a good deal to playgames on?

my computer is a bit old and is not in good shape

i bought it in 07 but i heard that it was mid-tier in 03

the specs are as follows:

Model Dell XPS420
    Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB RAM
    2.4 GHz
    System type 32-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 4
    64-bit capable Yes
    Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO
    *im also using windows vista 32 bit)

last beta test i ran tor with a shitty fps on low settings

i thought that i would just get more ram and better graphics card and even windows 7... but that alone was going to cost at-least 500+

so i decided to find/build a new machine...

i went on newegg to find parts to build a new system(first time trying) and i cam across something that i thought was a steal.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSub...ER-Desktop-PCs the computer is the second 1 on the list

iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 560D3 Desktop PC Phenom II X6 1100T(3.3GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Type: Gaming
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3GHz
    Processor Main Features: 64 bit Six-Core Processor
    Memory: 8GB
    Hard Drive: 1TB
    Optical Drive 1: 24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 1GB
    Audio: 8 Channels

Price: 700$

this system seems amazing to me
    8gs of ram?? that almost triples my ram
    1TB harddrive? that makes me speechless... i dont think my computer has even heard of a terabyte
    quad processor to 6 core processor? hell yeah

however the only thing that im worried about it my memory from my old computer...
    i want to transfer my old memory into the new memory card but i dont know how... is there a way?

thoughts and help

is this computer a good deal to play games on?

double post please ignore
    Last edited by SuperomegaOP; 2011-11-26 at 04:54 AM.

A non ti 560 is pretty meh, the processor is a total waste when you can get much better performance out of a i5 2500k.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz $200
    EVGA 01G-P3-1561-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti $240
    COOLER MASTER Elite 430 $35
    MSI PH61A-P35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 $75
    SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W $70
    Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory $53
    Use your existing HDD because of astronomical prices from Thailand flooding $0

$673, and will blow that iBuyPower machine out of the water.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Most games don't take advantage of even quad cores, so six cores won't help you very much in video games. Not to mention AMD has gone downhill with the CPU's.

Are you willing to build a machine yourself/make a friend help you? If so, you can save lots of my money by doing so.

Edit: Beat me to it.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    A non ti 560 is pretty meh, the processor is a total waste when you can get much better performance out of a i5 2500k.

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz $200
    EVGA 01G-P3-1561-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti $240
    COOLER MASTER Elite 430 $35
    MSI PH61A-P35 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 $75
    SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W $70
    Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory $53
    Use your existing HDD because of astronomical prices from Thailand flooding $0

$673, and will blow that iBuyPower machine out of the water.
    damn ;( i dont know anything about computers... i thought computer was awesome but i guess i can take a look at yours

also does it come with windows 7 64 bit? also the sandy bridge is out of stock
    Last edited by SuperomegaOP; 2011-11-26 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperomegaOP View Post
    damn ;( i dont know anything about computers... i thought computer was awesome but i guess i can take a look at yours

also does it come with windows 7 64 bit? also the sandy bridge is out of stock
    Didn't notice it was out of stock. o_O Anyhow, you can grab it from tigerdirect, or just wait for newegg to restock (almost positive they'll be restocked by monday).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...162&CatId=6988

That's the locked version, so you can't overclock it. It doesn't seem like you're interested in that anyway.

It doesn't include Windows 7, so you're kind of on your own with that. However, you can grab an OEM disc / license for around 80 bucks on the web. That said, if you're willing to learn how to build a computer, the payoff is massive in terms of bang for your buck. It may seem daunting at first, but it really is quite easy. Just read the manuals and have at it. It's like building legos, lol.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, what glo said.

I felt uncorfortable building my own computer aswell for the first time.

If you decide to build your own then let us know in the forums when you've bought the parts, you can eventually check setup of the month, your pricerange (around 700$) matches the dolphin build, just remember to swap out the i3 with a i5 2500k & the GTX 560 to a 560Ti if you want a really smooth gaming computer.

When you recieve the parts we will be gladly to help you with videos & how to do and so on.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

is AMD really that bad?

i dont really fell ready to build my own PC and i really need to upgrade my PC for some mmos/PC games
    Last edited by SuperomegaOP; 2011-11-26 at 04:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    AMD is behind intel by quite a bit for gaming, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    AMD is behind intel by quite a bit for gaming, unfortunately.
    well then can you guys give me a pre-made PC thats under 750$ that can play PC games and mmorpgs with atleast 40fps? on mid-high settings?

im 15 and im paying for the PC with my own money from my part time job and my parents dont know much about PCs to help build it

its just easier for me

What resolution is your monitor in?
    If it's low enough (ie, anything less than 1080p) the second system will be quite decent. It's not the best investment for the money, but since you're wanting a pre-built, it's not all too bad.
    Today at least. I can't speak for the future.
    EDIT: By the second, I mean the one you don't already have.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_III/

Everything you need.

Edit: didn't see your $750 pricetag, brb.
    Last edited by joshduarte6; 2011-11-26 at 05:14 AM.
    "Holybuckets May 17, 2010 - 7:36 PM :your 3s team rating is amazing, is there any way you could write something up or make a video from the holy pally perspective? my 3s beast cleave is having a hard time getting past 1600. its really hard to find info on beast cleave."

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    What resolution is your monitor in?
    If it's low enough (ie, anything less than 1080p) the second system will be quite decent. It's not the best investment for the money, but since you're wanting a pre-built, it's not all too bad.
    Today at least. I can't speak for the future.
    EDIT: By the second, I mean the one you don't already have.
    im 1600 by 900 screen resolution

is this what you mean?

Newegg sold out on i5 2500k processors because its currently on sale for cyber monday weekend. They will have more on Monday, I'm sure of it. But the i5 2500k is THE BEST processor for the price. The i7 2600k is probably the only one with a significant increase, but it is $100 more. Not really worth it when the i5 2500k is perfectly fine for most games.

Also, for a little more, you can get Corsair 650w Enthusiast Power Supply for $79 for a 2 day blow out. It may not all be needed for you atm, but in the future if you decide for a few upgrades, the extra 130w can help a ton. And it is only $10 more.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...814&CatId=1886

Theres this one, which is very powerful, you just don't get a flashy case. I would guess you will play most games on ultra with this with anywhere from 30-150 fps

I said 30, though that's very low and don't imagine you having to deal with that in WoW or any mmo, 30 fps would be for games like Crysis.
    Last edited by joshduarte6; 2011-11-26 at 05:19 AM.
    "Holybuckets May 17, 2010 - 7:36 PM :your 3s team rating is amazing, is there any way you could write something up or make a video from the holy pally perspective? my 3s beast cleave is having a hard time getting past 1600. its really hard to find info on beast cleave."

im 1600 by 900 screen resolution

is this what you mean?
    Yea. If you play in that resolution and don't plan to upgrade your monitor, that computer is likely to be quite good for up to three years.
    However. You can always get a better deal with building it yourself, or ordering it from a site who builds it specifically to your needs. The Thubans aren't that bad, esp in that resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Newegg sold out on i5 2500k processors because its currently on sale for cyber monday weekend. They will have more on Monday, I'm sure of it. But the i5 2500k is THE BEST processor for the price. The i7 2600k is probably the only one with a significant increase, but it is $100 more. Not really worth it when the i5 2500k is perfectly fine for most games.

Also, for a little more, you can get Corsair 650w Enthusiast Power Supply for $79 for a 2 day blow out. It may not all be needed for you atm, but in the future if you decide for a few upgrades, the extra 130w can help a ton. And it is only $10 more.
    I fail to see the relevance of this post. At all. And you're wrong about PSUs. "Extra 130w" have zero benefit.

Sometimes I wonder why Newegg doesn't introduce a building service for around $100. I'm sure they'd make an absolute buttload off of it.

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by joshduarte6 View Post
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...814&CatId=1886

Theres this one, which is very powerful, you just don't get a flashy case. I would guess you will play most games on ultra with this with anywhere from 30-150 fps
    DUDE..... i think im sold

---------- Post added 2011-11-26 at 05:20 AM ----------

Yea. If you play in that resolution and don't plan to upgrade your monitor, that computer is likely to be quite good for up to three years.
    However. You can always get a better deal with building it yourself, or ordering it from a site who builds it specifically to your needs. The Thubans aren't that bad, esp in that resolution.
    I fail to see the relevance of this post. At all. And you're wrong about PSUs. "Extra 130w" have zero benefit.
    this monitor is kinda new(got it like 2-3 months ago) is the resolution decent enough for todays standards?

DUDE..... i think im sold
    The GPU is very weak, though. Just so you know.

EDIT: Other than that, it's a very good deal.
    It'd go for like ~1200 USD in Sweden.

The GPU is very weak, though. Just so you know.
    but will it run games in ultra settings in at-least 30 fps like josh said?
    is it better than my GPU?
    if both are yes then im sold