Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    because men actually have the balls to go through with it, but more than likely cause it is not seen as manly to talk about your problems as a man so they tend to bottle them up and do something rash

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Because men tend to use guns or other means that tend to do the job quick and dirty. Women tend to use ODs, and that has a higher "failure" rate.
    I think this is probably as close as you're going to get to a positive answer.

You don't generally come back from gunshot wounds to the head or broken necks from hanging.

If somebody finds you in time, you can recover from attempted suicide via drug overdose.

Deleted

because

because Men have much more pressure to success in Life. Women dont have this pressure. Men HAVE to work, they HAVE to make much money.

They HAVE to take care for the family. Women can if they want but dont have to. And if Men dont want to Work etc. ... the wife will leave him.

So if a Men lose his job or other importend things. Everything can fall apart quite fast. This is a part why the suicide rate are so much higher in men then woman.

Again is is a big part but not the only.

Regards

Men tend to be more prone to the whole "bottling of emotions" deal and are generally taught to do that at a young age. Boys are usually raised to try to be tough and are mocked and scolded when they're visibly upset or cry. It's a large reason why gay men and TG (man to woman) are more heavily persecuted than lesbian women for example. These feelings generally don't just disappear and are merely held down until they explode. You also have to factor in the increased stress for life success on men. Unless you have a healthy outlet for those emotions, it can build up quickly and dangerously.

Women are also more narcissistic than men, thus decreasing the chances of attempted suicides, and normally go the route of subtle suicide (OD and such) which has a much higher rate of failure. Men normally explode and grab a pistol, having a much higher successful suicide rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

This thread is depressing in itself.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Because men tend to use guns or other means that tend to do the job quick and dirty. Women tend to use ODs, and that has a higher "failure" rate.

/facepalm, the question was "Why are suicide rates so much higher in men than woman?".
    and your answer is the method used is better? /sigh really?

OT: The REAL reason, is that men are secondary and expendable in todays fema-first society of politically enforced sexism against men.
    Woman are more then equal in areas of family courts, availability of medical treatment, and mental treatment, government programs to get a boost in life, education and sports in those institutions.
    I speak only the truth. Try to say I am wrong, I triple dog dare you.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Grishnok View Post
    Because men have to deal with women.

A womans greatest obstacle in life is material possession.
    A mans greatest obstacle in life is a woman.

nuff said.
    I oddly agree with you.

According to this wikipedia article suicide rates are higher in men than woman in every country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_rates

So perhaps its not as culturally related as it might seem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorise View Post
    Men tend to be more prone to the whole "bottling of emotions" deal and are generally taught to do that at a young age. Boys are usually raised to try to be tough and are mocked and scolded when they're visibly upset or cry.
    Usually I would just do that out of sight of others, often in my bedroom or somewhere isolated away from the house.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    My view is that
    a) men generally have more on their shoulders, they are the ones with financial responsibility, the ones who feed the family and such
    b) men don't have anyone to take care of them when they fuck up (career wise, money wise) - see a)
    I agree with this, I feel that men have to bare such a greater responsibility than women and when we encounter hardship we're supposed to suck it up and deal with it for the good of the family.

15+ Year Old Account
    As has already been pointed out, men tend to use more violent/sure-kill methods than women.

Suicide attempts are higher in women, but the attempts with deadly outcome are higher in men.

Quote Originally Posted by herpderpslurp View Post
    women have much higher rates of depression than men, and they also attempt to commit suicide more often than men. however more successful suicides are done by men because they choose methods that have less of a failure rate.
    Maybe this links to men being less likely to report problems, and depression. Hence it only becomes visible when its already too late. Whereas woman express symptoms earlier and attempt suicide earlier, and possible with less commitment to follow it through? Just offering an alternative viewpoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a lot more pressure on a man in almost every aspect of life involving anything to do with a career and how to deal with hard times, family. I'm not going to compare it to a Woman's life because I simply am not a Woman, but statistics should clearly indicate what we are all thinking.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

10+ Year Old Account
    What Herpderpslurp said.

If you count both attempted suicides and successful suicides then the ratio for women are larger than for men. The reason men have more successful suicidies is because men generally choose more effective ways of killing yourself where as women tend to choose drug overdose or something similar which doesn't always kill.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    historically, men have been in higher stress positions. Much like heart disease/liver failure/chronic lung problems, women will begin to catch up to men in suicides as more and more of them achieve more 'high stress' positions.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

It's definitely a societal thing imo. If it were genetic then it would affect the LGBT community as well. Although both groups have a notoriously high suicide rate, lesbians aren't any less likely to kill themselves than gay men as far as I know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I came closest to suicide when I was 17. I had a girlfriend I was very affectionate of and bought her a $400 gold ring (which is alot of money for a 17 year old). The day I drove over to her house to give it to her she came out in the driveway and told me she didn't want to be my girlfriend anymore. I went home sadly and put it in my dresser drawer where it still remains today. She never even knew that I had it.

10+ Year Old Account
    if i had to take a swing

type of jobs that tend to have more men than women, they also tend to be high stress jobs, while women dominated industries (while something like nursing is very stressful) are less stressful in comparison

Deleted
    49% of all babies born are female.
    51% of all babies born are male.

Its the leftovers killing themselves!

Deleted
    A read that same thing somewhere, statistics wer pretty even when you took suicide and suicide attempts together. I don't if that's true, but theres logic in it.