Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[US] US state Removes obese boy from family

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/838...in-foster-care

An eight-year-old American boy who weighs more than 90 kilograms has been taken from his family and placed into foster care after social workers said his mother wasn't doing enough to control his weight.

The Plain Dealer newspaper reports that the Cleveland boy is considered severely obese and at risk for such diseases as diabetes and hypertension.

The case is the first state officials can recall of a child being put in foster care strictly for a weight-related issue.

Lawyers for the mother say the county overreached when authorities took the boy last week. They say the medical problems he is at risk for do not yet pose an imminent danger.

A spokeswoman says the county removed the child because caseworkers saw his mother's inability to reduce his weight as medical neglect.

So.....does every obsese child need to removed these days?
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

90 kilos is probably about 2x average or more so id say there is likely a medical issue with him and his mother was failing to do what she needed to do with medicine and feeding him the right food etc.

I'm kind of on the fence about it. I mean, 200 pounds at 8 years old is more than obese. I'm sure there's a better way to do it than taking him from his family, but I guess it could be saving his life.

8 year old kid weighs more than a typically overweight adult, a few things need to be done.

Perhaps the mother needs support? Perhaps she is ill educated and doesn't know how to give her child a healthy balanced lifestyle and teach him exercise and nutrition are important?

Personally this would have to be a last resort, and whilst i agree with the fundamental principle of removing the child from that extremely unhealthy environment, I strongly doubt that the authorities have given the mother the support she needs to help give her child a healthy lifestyle.

Deleted
    Yes.

Obesity is a problem.
    Obesity leads to a lot of medical problems and we all know that.
    People should think about the health before eating everything in their freezer just for a quick meal.

A boy with that problem is so bad, and it's all about family if he is in that state.
    In the deep you know it's true.

A spokeswoman says the county removed the child because caseworkers saw his mother's inability to reduce his weight as medical neglect.
    It doesn't outright state it, but it sounds the authorities had their eyes on the case for some time already, and gave the mother the chance to improve her son's state, but she failed to do so.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Good. She refuses to address serious health risks for her dependent, she no longer has any right to ruin that kids life. Heart disease at 15? Awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming there is no underlying medical problem causing the weight gain (thyroid problems, certain medications, etc) then yes, the government was in the right. It becomes a case of watching out for the good of society. The child in question can lose the weight and be a healthier, more productive, member of society.

(Note, I am not saying that being overweight automatically makes you useless. I am overweight due to my need to take Prednisone for the past 20 years. However, if there is no valid reason for such obesity then he needs to be placed in a better environment.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    It becomes a case of watching out for the good of society. The child in question can lose the weight and be a healthier, more productive, member of society.
    That's a really dangerous way of thinking imo. Yes, removing the child if the parents are putting the childs life in severe risk is probably justified (like it seems in this case, but I'm no doctor). But to remove a child just because that might make him a more productive member of society, from the perspective of some bureaucrat, is not alright.

He weighs more than me and he's like...8. That is just scary.

---------- Post added 2011-11-28 at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    Assuming there is no underlying medical problem causing the weight gain (thyroid problems, certain medications, etc) then yes, the government was in the right. It becomes a case of watching out for the good of society. The child in question can lose the weight and be a healthier, more productive, member of society.

(Note, I am not saying that being overweight automatically makes you useless. I am overweight due to my need to take Prednisone for the past 20 years. However, if there is no valid reason for such obesity then he needs to be placed in a better environment.)
    There's a difference between being overweight and...that. 200lbs at 8 is just worrying.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    That's a really dangerous way of thinking imo. Yes, removing the child if the parents are putting the childs life in severe risk is probably justified (like it seems in this case, but I'm no doctor). But to remove a child just because that might make him a more productive member of society, from the perspective of some bureaucrat, is not alright.
    you cant be productive if you're dead from a heart attack at the age of 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

10+ Year Old Account
    @OP no but damned if its not a good idea that could save lives and take children away from parents that dont deserve them and never should of had them
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Well as long as he doesn't have a medical condition causing the weight problems I don't see a problem with them taking the child away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    you cant be productive if you're dead from a heart attack at the age of 11.
    Ofcourse, but using future productivity of the child as a reason for taking it from a parent is more like kidnapping. Saving the childs life is another thing, but even here I would be very, very careful.

10+ Year Old Account
    200 pounds at 8 years old? I didn't even weigh that much until I was in highschool.

There is a difference between being mildly obese and being that fat at 8 years old, I think they were right to take him away.

It basically amounts to child abuse. Look after your child's health or have them taken off you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe the child should be taken from the family, but maybe sent away for an extended period of time getting the help he/she needs, than being returned to the house.
    >>This is where I'd put a witty quote for my Signature<<
    IF I HAD ONE

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the child has a thyroid problem and the mother cant afford our overpriced health care...
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...kywall/rotomon
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and people's stupidity - though I am not entirely sure about the universe". -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rotomon View Post
    Maybe the child has a thyroid problem and the mother cant afford our overpriced health care...
    or maybe the mother is overwhelmingly incompetent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

I'm sorry but you have to TRY to make an 8 year old boy that over weight... Not trying to sound mean but seriously, was he eating buckets of chocolate? 200lbs is just absurd.